What's the story behind the Talking Heads and David Byrne....not talking???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I know they played together at the hall of fame. But for years after they broke up there was some dispute between Byrne and the rest of the band. Does anyone know what it was all about?

2. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I know he was mad about them reforming as "The Heads" and even sued them. It seemed there was always some kind of conflict in the band. During the Eno years, the Tina Weymouth publicly complained they didn't get to contribute enough, and they thought Eno was playing too large a role. I recall how on the the back cover of Remain In Light it says songs written by Byrne, Eno, and the Talking Heads, but on the label it just said Byrne/Eno (or was it the other way around with the cover and label? Can't recall that part!).

That was a long time before the breakup though. Just an example of the type of internal conflicts they had.

Steven

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Maybe it was all down to him wearing THAT suit in "Stop making sense"...

Would you want to be seen around with a guy wearing that???

Have to say....great album, great movie and....great suit!!!

4. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

some months ago i was working with frank gallagher, who was TH's live sound engineer (and is credited as such on the album REMAIN IN LIGHT). according to frank, none of the other band members can stand byrne; many for the reasons stated above (many more, mainly because he's known as an unconscionable prick). years ago, he made tina audition for the bass guitar position again after the band got signed to sire records; that'd make me a tad bitter.

chris frantz summed it up best when he thanked the acadamy for the induction and "giving the band a happy ending"; but it was clear to anyone with half a brain and one good eye watching that night that tension reigned on the lecturne and the other members barely tolerated byrne. i think any hope of seeing the band permanently re-form is non-existant. pity.

a pity because VH1 broadcast some songs from their induction ceremony set. and while "burning down the house" seemed slow and sluggish, "life during wartime" sounded great; quick, sparse, almost stripped-down with lyrics more pertinant today than when written.

the only people to benefit from a TH's reunion would be the fans, and you would think that would be enough to justify a tour, maybe even a new album--maybe not. but put yourselves in their places; would you want to be stuck in a studio or tour bus with someone--or a group--you couldn't stand to be around or who hated you? in this day and age, they are far too rich and famous to put up with that ********.

perhaps they should do a deluxe reissue of "the name of this band is talking heads", their long out of print double live album, a la little feat's new expanded version of "waiting for columbus".

later, chris

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I thought they were just FANTASTIC on that induction show. I can't remember which song it was, but Jerry Harrison was doing some really hoopy keyboards and the band seemed very together. Quite enjoyable.

I'd go and see them again.

Regards,
    Metralla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.