What's Up Tiger Lily on DVD in July

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

This hilarious 1966 film is finally coming to DVD on July 15th. For those who haven't seen it, the basic idea behind it is that Woody Allen (the funny one from the 60s & early 70s ;)) bought the rights to a Japanese B-Grade James Bond knock-off (1964's Kokusai himitsu keisatsu: Kagi no kagi), and redubbed it into English as an insane comedy with a gratuitous musical number from the Loving Spoonful. It has to be seen to be believed. As far as I know, this will be the first time the film has been presented in widescreen on home video.

Regards,

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Very good news! This is the one Woody-related film I haven't seen ...

Now what about What's New Pussycat?

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Great. I have been waiting for this one. My kids have never seen it. They're gonna love it.

4. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Great news indeed. I have a pretty crappy VHS copy that I bought at a street fair a thousand years ago. Watchable though, showed it to my kids awhile ago, they loved it. Glad to have it on DVD. SPARTEN DOG, TURKISH TAFFY.

Jeff

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Cool, I know a lot of folks who've been waiting for that one. I'll have to spread the word.

In a similar vein, Phil Proctor and Peter Bergman's J-Men Forever was finally released on DVD late last year. The duo from Firesign Theatre took old serials like Commando Cody and Captain Marvel, re-edited them, and dubbed a new soundtrack, similar to Allen with Tiger Lily. They used to run it all the time on USA Network's Night Flight back in the 80's, and I was glad to find it again after all these years.

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'm told that the last VHS versions of What's Up Tiger Lily had some editing done to the film, taking out some politically incorrect segments. I wonder if the DVD will feature the uncut version?

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Tiger Lily is one of those movies that I practically have memorized. I taped it off Bravo years ago, and watch the (fading) video every so often. It'll be great to have it on DVD at last!:thumbsup:

----Phil Moskowitz, lovable rogue:cool:

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

I have the most recent tape from Anchor Bay, but can't remember if it was altered or not. I will check it out this evening. I have seen both versions over the years, so I am pretty sure I can recognize the altered dialog.

Regards,

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Great movie, even if Woody has basically disowned it. It sort of reminds me of "Mystery Science Theater 3000", which is a good thing.

Even the closing credits are worth watching. Over and over again! ;)

Speaking of Woody, I wonder when The Front is going to see DVD release. Maybe the best movie ever made about the Cold War blacklist era in Hollywood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.