What's with eBay record sellers? (rant)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Matt Starr, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte Thread Starter

Thankfully, there are sellers like you out there. You folks are gold and thank you for your honesty.

auburn278 likes this.
  2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I'll admit that I buy on eBay because I don't have the time or patience to frequent the used vinyl stores (and there are some good ones where I live - Houston). That said, I know more often than not, I will not be delighted with my eBay purchases because grading is so subjective, and most sellers either over grade or are not knowledgeable. I don't complain about it - I except it as that the way it is.

3. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I buy much more than I sell. I just try to offer the kind of experience that I would like to have as a buyer.

auburn278 and Matt Starr like this.
  4. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

This isn't an eBay rant but a tangent you might appreciate. There was a record I was hunting for for a bit (Arlington & Cameron) and eventually found it on a random online site. Said it was brand new and still sealed but with a cut out. I bought it and the cut when 1/4" into the record. I called and they said they had another. I said I didn't need it sealed and asked them to open it to check it out first... they did BUT they re-shrink-wraped it and it's warped beyond playability. Now I have two defective copies of the same record in my collection and I try not to buy online unless I have to.

5. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

Ok how is this for a dilemma? Bought Abbey Road first press from "psych-fields" in UK. Beautiful disc, Ex+(supposedly) 4 loud tics in track 2, 4 loud tics in track 3.
    Best sound I have heard on this record (except for the tics). I was blown away by the performance. Just wowed.
    Paid $112 plus $23 postage.Probably paid too much.(went for the "buy it now price stupidly, instead of making an offer).
    Didn't return it. I love it. How do I do better?
    Probably should have offered $75 to start, should have pitched a bit of a bitch 'cause of the tics. An Austrian dealer sold an "as mint" copy for $930 in March.
    My next try(s) could have been disastrous in spite of the glowing claims of silent play with "just a few hard-to-see paper wisps."
    I got a little screwed and I did not dare let it go!

6. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte Thread Starter

I think if that's what you paid for an EX+ copy, it would be okay but not for the loud pops which bring it's grade down. It's amazing music though, that first pressing. That's one I got recently on eBay as well. Mine has no pops but it does have the requisite inner groove distortion especially towards the end of side one. I'm curious, do you notice this on your copy as well?

7. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Parlogram? From Austria, right?

Matt Starr likes this.
  8. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

A few brief words I agree with my homie Combo most of this thread is a retread, not covering much ground other than the Dish on Parlogram/Bright Field who I also purchased from in the past.

Here is how I go into, I have several strategies depending on cost/title/etc

I assume I will have to return at least 50% of what I buy on Ebay which isn't much maybe 4-6 LPs a year.

A third will be ******** and ridiculously over graded. a Third will be graded correctly and the other third will be a grade or two off.
    With the ****ty records I send them back post haste. The overgraded but close If I really want the LP I inquire about a partial refund, if you want one be nice, you would be amazed what people will do for you when you are cool. I would say about half the people that slightly overgraded will go for a discount. Otherwise I just send it back.

I never bitch if the visual grade matches up but the record doesn't play grade like I think I was expecting based on the visual grade. If they didn't sell it as play graded they did nothing wrong, chalk that up to be a record collector. Anything else is really ****ty on the buyers behalf in my opinion. Play grading records is amazingly time consuming, especially for low value records.

Lastly 100% feedback sellers are your friend, stick with them. I always get the record I want or my money back cheerfully if there is ever a problem. These types of sellers know how the feedback process works and care about keeping their rating.

Oh one more thing, whats up with all the US sellers adopting that EX grading ********. EX is the biggest sack of **** catch all grade. It could mean anything.

ex_mixer and Matt Starr like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's it. Yes, Parlogram. Thanks!

10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I experienced the same with a 7" single recently. Cracked in half, thanks to the shoddy packaging. Still, the seller blamed the postal service! Anyway, I got my money back, but it was a strange experience.

Leviethan likes this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Last night I received the item "WIRE 154 LP 1979 US WB press - In Shrink - NM Vinyl"

Packed in a standard LP mailer, with the LP outside the cover, contained in a poly outer sleeve, sandwiched between cardboard inners. As stated, cover is still in its shrink wrap. The record appears to have never been played, and it sounds fantastic.

Sorry for the threadcrap.

12. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Me too. So aggravating.

13. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

This just recently happened to me , bought 2 records off of a guy from the other side of Australia . He then proceeds to send them in a giant manilla
    envelope , no bubble wrap , no cardboard stiffeners . I asked for a partial refund , got told to f**k off , so i opened a case and got all my money back
    plus postage . My reasoning is this ; As soon as i pay for something it is my property , if it's damaged/not as described , i always go for a refund or
    open a case . There are too many Salvation Army/Op Shop entrepreneur's out there trying to make a quick buck on ebay .

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Agreed. sorry that happened to you.

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

infuriating.

16. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

Never fear! I buy from Australian sellers whenever they have what I need.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Excellent points.

I agree regarding non-play graded lps. If the visual grade matches what was in the ad I don't complain about the play grade. Seller didn't advertise it as play graded so I take the risk.

Generally I suggest a partial refund would be better by letting them know that returning the lp will cost me $20 and that isn't an economical option for me(unless i bought a high ticket item). Generally, they undersand and offer a partial refund. I'm polite. Maybe they made a mistake, maybe they tried to rip me off. Not sure but either way I try and be polite but firm. I also provide reasons why I disagree with the grade rather than a vague comment like "this isn't VG++ it's VG_". I'll give them a list of the scratches, etc I see.

As for the EX grading...yeah it pretty much could mean anything from VG+ to Near Mint! I generally assume they mean VG+ but I have been pleasantly surprised. I received a couple of lps graded as EX that are NM and the best thing was I paid VG+ type prices!

I think a lot of sellers grade their lps in bad lighting. I've taken lps out of their sleeve and they look like they have been graded correctly under normal office lighting. I then look at them under better lighting and the grade is no longer that accurate.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Vinyl is now all the rage, and that means that you have all kinds of no nothing crawling out of the woodwork selling what they think is a pile of gold.

So now you have people who don't understand grading rating their records.

rickboy likes this.
  19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

This is how I define it: Exc grade is a record that has been played occasionally without accidents. Plus or minus means played a bit more or less than that. Recurrent tics and wear-related distortion and noise are not permitted for this grade.

PS I'm amazed at the low batting average you report. Again as in my prior post I have had very few issues I would blame the seller on. I do not count some blemish that I need to use a magnifying glass to see though.

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

EBay has always been a crap-shoot and I've often had the best luck with price/condition when I buy from a mom 'n pop shop that says something like, "We don't have a record player to check this on, but it looks like it's in very good condition" (meaning, it's basically MINT).

When unscrupulous yahoos start bandying around the Goldmine standards, I get nervous. I got one LP graded VG++ that looked and sounded like it had been dunked in paint thinner. It was the most hideous shade of gray I'd ever seen. I only played it for a few seconds to confirm... I thought there might be some odd discoloration that didn't affect play. Boy, was I wrong. I felt a strong urge to wash my hands after touching that piece of crap. And when I contacted the vendor he went into a long spiel about how listeners' perceptions vary, his VG++ and my VG++ may not be the same; it's all subjective... all in the ear of the beholder. What a dipstick. He refunded my money and I trashed the wax, but it can be a frustrating process.

But then, just this week I got a still-in-shrink-wrap Charlie Louvin & Melba Montgomery album for $9.00 and it's perfect. As I said... always a crap-shoot.

21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

When I've been hoodwinked I demand a full refund without returning the offending item. Same with Amazon sellers. The times this has happened my bid price was fairly low - there's no way I should have to foot the postage bill and go through the hassle of returning something that belongs in the garbage.

Approval ratings are very important to the sellers and most of them will cooperate rather than get the dreaded 1-star feedback.

Matt Starr likes this.
  22. helter

helter Forum Resident

I bought a sealed Beatles blue box on ebay.
    The wrap looked too perfect for 30 years old.
    Opened the seal and obvious used records inside.
    I think I got about $200 knocked off the price I paid

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The 30 year old ones weren't sealed. I don't think I saw a sealed one until they appeared in Costco in the late '80s.

24. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I've had my fair share of good luck and bad from Ebaying. I just picked up, "Highway Rutles Revisited" and it was as described. On the other hand, I've been burned a couple of times with over grading of (especially) UK vinyl.

Like Auburn stated, when I list any media, I always undergrade and describe ALL flaws, (if any) and play grade lps.
    I've also been burned as a seller before. I once sold a pretty desirable LP, again under graded, (there weren't many..it was VG+), and the seller said it was not up to his satisfaction. I promptly refunded all costs and paid for return shipping. When the lp came back, the buyer had replaced my vg+ copy of the album with a trashed copy that wasn't even the same pressing! At that time you could leave negative feedback for buyers and I did but I didn't get my money back. Still makes me angry to this day!

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

IIRC, the Goldmine standards were developed for fans of Doo Wop who were buying old 45's and as long as a record played all the way through without skipping or sticking, it was VG. A VG record could be badly worn, like a jukebox copy. I think what you describe is fair for a VG+ record if the balance of the album and the overall fidelity is good. It may be a lump of dirt that can be cleaned-off too (I'm sure you've checked that).

Personally, when I buy an album off eBay I usually do a needle-drop. I'm much more conscious of groove wear than occasional ticks and pops that I can "Cut" out or "Pencil" over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.