What's with inaccurate lyrics on the inner sleeve?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 33andathird, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning Thread Starter

Hi all, just something I thought I'd ask. I'm not joking- on almost all my records' inner sleeves, on one or more songs the lyrics will be printed with a slight inacuracy to what's actually sung. Even bands/singers who are known perfectionists sometimes have the lyrics awfully misprinted on their records. Often even one or two slight misprints will change the whole meaning of the line or song.
    It's amusing when listening and looking at the inner- I often think of some poor typist/graphic designer getting a hard time from the artist(s) after the album was released. I'm guessing this is how it happens, or else the lyrics were sent to the printer before recording, and at the last minute the artist made changes?

The most misprinted lyric inner that I can think of has been on my UK edition of The Crossing by big Country. It's totally different to what's being sung in many cases.

This is one of those things that I really can live my life without knowing, but since we have the internet, why not!!

John B Good and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

There was a typo in the printed lyrics of “Happy X-Mas War is Over” in John Lennon’s Shaved Fish album (1975).

I recall reading that John wasn’t at all happy about the error, but said he was too busy with his newborn son (Sean) to watch what EMI was doing.

33andathird likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Reportedly some early pressings of Rush's Permanent Waves misprinted the line "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" as "..you still haven't made a choice."

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

"Your boy won't be a more no more", and "You missed the bus" in Tommy

5. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Hi!

I know. I noticed ages ago. It happens a lot & it's so annoying.

33andathird likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Lol I have been seeing this since 1980... I wondered if after they had printed the covers and sleeves before the final vocal takes or something

HorseyAnn likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Lazy songwriters don't check!

8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

On the lyric sheet of The Beatles 1967-1970 (The Blue Album), the banker in "Penny Lane" is sitting waiting for a "trend," not a "trim."

Man, did this get on my nerves. I can't think of that line without thinking of the mistake.

You can see the lyric sheet if you blow up the image from 45Worlds:
    Vinyl Album: The Beatles - 1967-1970 [The Blue Album] (1973)

utopiarun likes this.
  9. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Dexy's Midnight Runners had a good caveat on "Don't Stand Me Down": "The words don't quite fit the songs but they read better this way. "

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Simple answer. The singer does not sing the words exactly as the songwriter wrote them.

Sean likes this.
  11. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I always assumed that the “you missed the bus” error was intentional due to the coded drug reference

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This.

And I see typos everywhere.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Some Japanese editions have hilarious inaccuracies from aural transcriptions, with "Sailin' Shoes'" by Little Feet containing one of my favourites. According to the lyric sheet "Willin'" contains the following line:

"Driven the back roads, so I wouldn't get wet"

Probably the "Rain" in the first line threw 'em off. Still "weighed" makes more sense. Given the "Truckin'" topic.

14. Elessar

Elessar Sailor On The Seas of Fate

My fave was a Japanese pressing of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures: "And she's clinging to the mirrors passing by" (likely because of the English idiom in the actual lyrics which would likely be unknown to a Japanese native speaker: "And she's clinging to the nearest passer by"]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.