What's with the idea that contemporary hip hop and pop lack melody?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lc1995, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I know it’s insane. There’s been so many incredible albums released after 1989 it’s unreal. Music is alive and well.

2. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yea, it's 2019 and we have access to more music than we know. It's always been alive.

HotelYorba101 and Jmac1979 like this.
  3. RedRoseSpeedway

I love being a music fan nowadays because it’s all at our fingertips instantly. Quite amazing

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Why not both?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'd like to see your poll of the "vast majority" of people.:rolleyes:

You are free to dislike whatever you want, but it would serve you better if you refrain from making blanket statements about music you are not an expert on. Right now, you are looking like a troll on a mission.

6. winders

winders Music Lover

Actually, I sound like a man with an opinion. You sound like a pedantic fool that feels one can’t express an opinion unless they have a PhD in Hip Hop. That is just ridiculous. You act as if I have insulted your honor and slapped you with a glove.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Grant

Your argument is weak. Do you know how I can tell? This is the second or third time you've personally attacked someone in this thread.

8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Doesn't that rather tell us something about your humming and/or ear-training skills?

HotelYorba101 and lc1995 like this.
  9. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I dunno, I guess some people would consider monotone bloated thumping to be melodic.....;)

[​IMG]

10. RedRoseSpeedway

Tyler, The Creator just released a new album “Igor” yesterday. He’s living proof (to me) that good Hip Hop/Rap is being released and can be beautiful and melodic. “Igor” is a worthwhile experience as an album as well. Great music and albums are still being released today unlike the assertions of some on this thread.

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

There is a difference between opinion and fact though. If you said simply "I don't like hip-hop and I prefer the aesthetic of other genres" that is all and good. I have genres I don't really dig overall either, nothing wrong with that

But to be fair, your first words in this thread are "Most Hip Hop songs do not have a melody". And that is not an opinion, that is just objectively not accurate - with all due respect

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Not a fan of hip-hop, but my comment (that can apply to any kind of music,) is why pick it apart, saying is doesn't have "this or that".
    Feeling and groove are the most important things (imo).

Mr.Sneis likes this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's a problem with this place. Rather than say "sorry, not my cup of tea" and moving on, there seems to be this impetus to trash genres with blanket statements. It's childish and mean spirited.

14. MikeManaic61

What's crazy is that people here 2 or 3 times older than me and act like this. This forum definitely has chased folks away with this toxic attitude.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Like Twitter sort of. :laugh::sigh:

ralphb, Grant and MikeManaic61 like this.
  16. MikeManaic61

Good thing I don't use those sites like Facebook anymore. Feel 100% better without them.

ralphb, Grant and Chris Schoen like this.
  17. Grant

These guys mentally never left high school.

18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Sure as hell has a melody??? This is really what you use as your example??? 2 monotone notes toggling back and forth for 3 or 4 endless minutes??!!! You're joking. right? This is a put-on. April Fools. Catchy melodies!!! This is the most clueless OP I've ever read here and that's saying something.

Here's an example of a song with a melody? Get it?

19. HotelYorba101

A melody is a melody. Whether you find it personally catchy or not, is a different matter.

20. Scott S.

mel·o·dy
    /ˈmelədē/
    noun
    1. a sequence of single notes that is musically satisfying.

21. HotelYorba101

A much better and apt definition from Merriam-Webster that is more close to what you will find in books written by music scholars: a rhythmic succession of single tones organized as an aesthetic whole

I'd be happy to take pictures of the definitions of melody in the many textbooks I got during my studies lol

"Musically satisfying" is a big subjective can of worms, of course something that the uninitiated can take face value from mindlessly ripping off the first result they see on Google, but if you look deeper there is a lot of logical missteps if we go that route

You don't like the example, that's cool. It isn't my favorite song in the world either. But it is still a melody, objectively speaking :)

22. Scott S.

only academically. not in reality. Like a sky with one little wisp of cloud in it could be called a cloudy sky.

23. HotelYorba101

In reality, this is called a melody. I am not saying anyone has to think it is a good melody or tune, but it is a melody. Objectively speaking, and practically speaking in reality. Your comparison is not apt

Grant and Liam Brown like this.
  24. Scott S.

The OP said "it sure as hell has a melody." This ain't no sure as hell. This is .. if you want to milk every last breath out of the word.

25. HotelYorba101

It is a melody. A melody you don't like or prefer melody with different tendencies, sure and that is cool. But it has tone change and rhythmic variation at its core, maybe not enough to your liking but your liking does not definite what is and isn't a melody

But it is a melody lol. I mean there really isn't much more to say, sorry you don't like that tune or its melody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.