What's worse then the new Star Trek? The old Star Trek fans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Aug 13, 2020.

1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Star Trek has been crap since JJ Abrams got a hold of it. Hopefully he never has the chance to crap all over Star Wars...

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That Gene seems almost forgotten. Even directly referring to the TOS writer's bible, as excerpted (and available in full online) in the great 1968 publication The Making Of Star Trek, doesn't always seem to connect:
    The Abrams films seem to have no problem doing this, as does Discovery and even Picard at times, although the latter show leans more on its allegedly more intellectual TNG forebear, and yet they're consistently reviled as having "too many explosions" or some silliness. No Trek series is perfect; never has been, and yet that seems to be the expectation going forward.

It's nostalgia disguised as rigidity. I mean, does anybody remember when we watched these things for fun?

bmasters9 and wayneklein like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Most of the Short Treks are crap. I didn't like Picard very much but I enjoy Discovery for the most part.

The Short Trek episode in question is probably the worst Star Trek I've seen to date.

4. It’s not like the Discovery series.

5. Exactly. If I wanted to watch TOS or NG, I have them. I want a different experience.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. There are at least three that I think are pretty terrific.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Literally just right now over on Facebook I had somebody tell me "at least Rick Berman made real Star Trek, not like Kurtzman". I of course responded pointing out it's all real Star Trek, and I got a response of "nuh uh. but if you like trash, then good for you."

This is what we're dealing with here. Real big brain energy.

8. Which is ironic because while Berman was in charge of Star Trek fans didn’t like him much either.

Chris DeVoe, ggergm and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. Well he has directed two of three last trilogy films. I disagree that it’s crap. It’s different to be sure. Abrams doesn’t really have much to do with Discovery or Picard. Yes, it does have Kurtzman but, like it or not, he was a fan and did work with Bryan Fuller (who started as a writer under Berman for DS9, etc. on creating the series even if he did get pushed out.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Funny how that works.

My favorite thing is probably seeing people turn a corner on Enterprise and flinging poo at Discovery. You know dang well those people were on there in 2004 going THIS IS GARBAGE

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

You know what they say, "If you can't say anything nice...ENGAGE-!"

Simon A and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Some of these people just go after things no matter what is on the screen. They are just predisposed to hate something and so have lost all credibility. To watch them go after Lower Decks after one fantastic episode just says that they should not be listened to at all.

I suppose it has something to do with the alt-right/bro thing, but they might as ell be QAnon or Flat Earthers at this point they are so over the top crazy.

Chris DeVoe, bmasters9 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Star Trek remains the definitive example of what awful things happen when you play to the hardcore fans.

Chris DeVoe and Scott222C like this.
  14. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

The female captain here is frankly a smug bitch.

Scott222C likes this.
  15. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

The trek argument is a little more nuanced than "crotchety old people hate new things and need to move on".

The reason I don't like new Star Trek are literally the same reasons I loved old Star Trek. I prefer to see humanity in its most idealistic light: rejecting violence and constantly striving for acceptance.

New trek is chock full of guns, fights and division. No thank you.

16. Dillydipper

The "female captain" you so eloquently assess, is actually an actress, cast to perform a part given her by people who had permission to write the script that included instructions as to how to play the role.

And, during the execution of that script and directorial instructions, she didn't look quite so smug when the other character appeared totally oblivious to what he was supposed to be doing there, and how exactly command structure works. Now ask yourself...in the real world of management and employee dynamic...would you have put up with that? Or, do you instead consider yourself a superior authority figure at that age, with all the wisdom and patience of a Picard? Be honest.

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

You wouldn't know it to hear the hardcore fans tell it.

wondergrape likes this.
  18. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Yeah, Enterprise was perhaps overly pandering to the die-hards.

Post JJ Abrams has been about the mass market, die-hards be damned

19. Dillydipper

So, "old" Trek never had ju-jitsu fights, phasers and conflict? Take your head out of the ostrich hole.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was gonna post this same comment! If the "anti-woke" neanderthals had Internet access 55 years ago, they would've complained about the Asian and Black characters, etc.

Idiotic for "Trek" fans to criticize it because it follows a progressive path! :help:

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Wrong people in charge lagging franchise for years
    It's dead Jim.!

22. So was old Trek. I grew up watching it in the 60’s. The revisionism came with ST;TNG. DS9 was also disliked by lots of ST:TNG fans. I’m not doubting that’s why you enjoy old vs. new but I personally think it’s mostly that people crave familiarity and don’t adjust well to change in anything particularly after they have established what ‘it’ is supposed to be. That can also be a creative straight jacket.

bmasters9, Dillydipper and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. I’d say that was true of the original series and other variations as well. Trek was not designed to be a cult show appealing only to a small audience.

Simon A and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I used to get roasted all of the time because the original series was my favorite.HehHeh Heh,Go watch your original 60’s Trek,you are excluded from our discussions!:evil:

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

They were the very ones saying "this looks more advanced than the original series. NOT MY STAR TREK" and now that Discovery has happened, all of a sudden touchscreens in the 22nd century aren't so offensive. Funny how that works.

wayneklein likes this.