What's worse then the new Star Trek? The old Star Trek fans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Aug 13, 2020.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It should also be noted that the film series pulled from the Wrath Of Khan playbook twice more; in First Contact and Nemesis, both battle-heavy films, one of which even mirrors the sacrifice from II's finale. Only Insurrection attempted to do anything similar to Voyage Home, and its social commentary was far more muted than the earlier film.

So even prior to 2009, when the fans starting complaining that "nuTrek is all explosion, no exploration," Trek had established an "action gets eyes on screens" policy. Again, almost like the series has been an action-adventure platform since day one.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Well, you can tell by the bathos of Dr. Smith, the ridiculous waving arms of the Robot, and every little impossible-to-physically-exist rubber-faced alien that Irwin Allen loaded into Lost In Space, what CBS meant by, "too cerebral". They were looking for a series more like the godawful John-Argar-style monster movies of Frank Zappa's day, than they were actual speculative fiction.

Matthew Tate and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Also to be fair, "WoK" may not have had tons of real action, but it had a strong plot and a lot of tension.

"TVH" also had basic tension and comedy - bad comedy, but that was something,

In any case, neither fit the "cerebral 'Trek'" POV like "TMP" did...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

I spent a better part of the afternoon on 'th'Tube, where they're posting 2-, 3-, and 4-minute excerpts of season 3 of Discovery, and it's been enough to get me up-to-speed on at least the first three episodes are like, and the gist of the plotlines. I got a good dose of just about all of Picard the same way.

What' really depressing though, is seeing all these trolls putting up their own "reviews" and "reactions", purely to badmouth every creative decision, take every plot point out of context, and pompously predict the death-knell of the series: "failed"; "ratings plummet"; "catastrophe", and essentially make themselves out to be widdle cwying babies, rather than the "experts" they're trying to set themselves up as. I just scroll by them to the next episode excerpt, shaking my head.

And then, I come upon one video entitled, "Discovery Renewed For Season 4!", with large, cartoonish captions on their thumbnails of, "What?" "Why"? "How!"...and I just laugh my tushie off. These little pants-wetters are pathetic. :biglaugh:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

All the crews are good. But Kirk (Shatner) is a very big shoe to fill in.
    [​IMG]

6. Dillydipper

I don't even relate to the jaw-out-of-joint attitude that would make somebody care enough to make that.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

The original star trek was 10000000000 times better than anything else!!

John Moschella and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. That's Warp 7 hyperbole! This site's router can't handle it Captain!!

Matthew Tate and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

Only one thing to say to them.

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

That's a serious misinterpretation of what criticizing "woke" culture is all about. "Every character in everything must be a white male!" is something no one said ever. The basic fact that the things these people are fans of always had demographically diverse characters should rule that out as a conclusion.

The real issues include how preachy, heavy-handed or divisive is the message or theme of the show? "Love all people" is not a divisive message, but pushing a political party plank that everyone knows the country is split on is. Also, does the show make decisions on which characters are "good" or "bad" based on demographic biases (e.g. Sum of All Fears movie replacing Middle Eastern terrorists with white supremacists)? Does the show seem to give a character unrealistic traits just because they want to show a certain demographic in a positive light? This is a problem because complex, flawed characters with weaknesses tend to be more relatable. Does the show change the demographics of an established character, or write them out and replace them unnecessarily? This would seem to demonstrate a preference for a certain demographic over accuracy to the source material.

Underlying a lot of this is the idea that if you simply check the demographic boxes of a character, you've made them "relatable" to someone with those same demographics, without needing to actually write the character well. And, conversely, that audiences can supposedly only relate to a character whose demographics are similar to theirs. It's a tremendous difference in world view, the idea that demographics define in large part who a person is and how they form their identity, as opposed to a person defining themselves by their thoughts, feelings and ideas.

John Moschella, sotosound and sgtmono like this.
  12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I'm just glad that they are able to do the things that you dislike, because I love them! And I hope that there's more to come.

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

As always, if one agrees with said message, it's not a problem. If one disagrees, it's distracting/unrealistic/preachy/fake news.

Same as it ever was.

Dillydipper likes this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

BS
    I say they need to get over it.

15. Dillydipper

I don't think they need to get over it...they just need to "read the room".

Today's Trek is not the one you grew up with, we've already established that.

The resistance seems more likely to stem from the idea that...this Trek wasn't made for those audiences. But for today's audiences.

So, you can come along if you wish, but, you have to come to the realization that you're not the target demographic anymore.

I'm a person who takes the showrunner's intent at face value, and doesn't blame him/her if the show they gave me, didn't go the way I wanted to. Because I'm not the showrunner. I don't have a stake in the show they've been hired to produce, or the audience they've been assigned to resonate with. I can react positively or negatively to the show ( I certainly did to, say Family Matters and The Brady Bunch ), but at the end of the day, whether you like the way Game Of Thrones panned out, I have to assume that's the story and finale they wanted, and if you think you can do better...send a resume to Hollywood, or go back to work at Target.

Yeah, I've been disappointed by the outcomes of many shows, but, I never doubted their mandate to produce the show they wanted to produce. I have to assume that was what they intended.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

what?

sgtmono likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Well-said. Add another word, and you may just have a sentence.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

The correlations here between these and the Star Wars fan boys and the Giles haters are astounding.

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Why not? What did I do wrong?

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

How can I put this politely. You got old.

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Aye, but I wasn't old when Next Gen was first on my telly. I was the next gen. I loved it of course, it was Star Trek, but all of the things I didn't like about it, seemingly no-one else I knew liked either. Like every time Troi would say "we need to talk". Eeuw! Maybe in Hollywood they'd go see a counsellor every week to get a pep talk, but it didn't happen in my neck of the woods in the mid to late 1980's.

22. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Maybe they needed to. Have you seen the way a lot of people turned out, full of hate and selfishness?

23. Evethingandnothing

Oooh. Bitchy. :D

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

glennzo likes this.
  25. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Yes, so they keep saying (ad nauseum). I think they are wonderful, and evidently so do millions of others.