What's your amp history?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 2, 2021.

1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

2. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Waiting for a phone call to go meet a fellow to pick up this:
    [​IMG]

3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Outlaw 755 for two channel…now a pair of them for home theater
    Countless AVR’s (Marantz, Sony, Onkyo…)
    NAD..can’t remember the model 50wpc
    Krell Duo300 on loan from work
    Bryston 4B
    Parrasound Halo p5
    Phase Linear 400
    Pass Labs xA25 on loan from work
    Aragon 8008
    Carver C-500 re-capped, twin bi-amped vertically
    Yakin MC 50L on loan
    Rivals SE El34 9wpc amp now office
    Jolida JD1000brc, Twin bi-amped vertically

Twin Jolida is by far the best blend of 3D deep holographic sound stage and body.

4. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I just updated my Bryston 4B SST with a new 17" wide faceplate. I prefer the cleaner, sleeker look, but more importantly, the vintage piece of furniture I use for my system stand only has room for two 17" wide components side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Yamaha rx-460
    Yamaha CR-3020
    McIntosh MC2205
    McIntosh MC462
    PS Audio M1200 monoblocks

Gasman1003 likes this.
  6. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Kenwood KA7300
    Crown DC150
    Dunlap - Clarke Dreadnought 500
    Linn Powertek
    Linn Majik 5100

Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. Paramanta

Paramanta Active Member

College days: A KLH all in one that got stolen. Been a believer in the death penalty since.
    Early 70's, a Pioneer sx-424.
    I traded that in for a Marantz integrated that could be switched from quad to stereo, going for cheap after quad flopped.
    Later I had An Akai, I think. Had a horizontal glass door that protected the less used controls, and came with speaker cables optimized for the amp.
    For years after I had a Technics SU-7300 and the matching tuner, the ST-7300. Still good looking equipment, even today.
    In the 80's I had a Nakamichi TA-3, which I used to drive a pair of Spica TC-50s - my first decent system.
    Had a creek integrated for while (the Nak's lights had faded, and there was sometimes a faint hum). I liked the sound, but it always seemed to me to be lightweight, like the cats might sit on it and crush it.
    Then I bought the entry level Bryston preamp and 2B amp - which I tried for a while then exchanged for the Bryston B 60 integrated. I much preferred the integrated, couldn't tell the difference in sound (except, strangely, on one single recording), it had a headphone output, and was less clutter. I used that for well over 20 years with never an issue. A few years ago I sold it on Ebay, to a buyer who wrote me back, telling me how much he liked it.
    Currently I have a Bryston BP 6 preamp and a Bryston 3B ST amp, both bought on Ebay. The amp was sent to the Bryston and they refurbished it for 400.00.
    I don't see me buying anything else.

I do wonder what all that earlier equipment (and speakers, and sources) would sound like if I could listen to them today.

doctor fuse likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I got my first stereo at 20 years old. I think it was a Soundesign, but it least it was a separate. I was not into high-end audio at the time. Others
    Marantz 2215
    Sansui 5000
    Grommes Amp forgot model early rounded corners Picture below
    Hammond G series rebuilt Monoblock amps with Jeff Korneff preamp
    Sony VR4
    Sony STR-6060FW upgraded and rebuilt
    Fisher 500 upgraded and rebuilt
    Sansui G-6700 rebuilt power supply
    DIY PP 45 tube amp
    Pioneer tube receiver (forgot rare obscure model
    Pioneer SX-1500TW upgraded and rebuilt
    Onkyo TX-2500 MKII receiver upgraded and rebuilt (still own)
    Allied 333 tube receiver upgraded and rebuilt (present amp). Allied 333 is a freak, should not sound as good as it does.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    doctor fuse likes this.
  9. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Currently using Quicksilver Mid Monos.... This is arriving tomorrow

10. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Congrats. Will be very interested to hear your listening report. What speakers will the amp be paired with?

11. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Thanks ! They will be paired with Forte IV... the preamp is a Zesto Leto so hopefully the two mesh well. I will definitely post impressions after spending some time with her .

Ontheone likes this.
  12. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Matt surprised me with this cool ventilation pattern. No two of these are exactly alike

13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I can't seem to remember any gear further back than 1975 or so. From then to now, it's all been solid state:
    • SAE integrated (model unknown) with PEQ
    • Adcom GFA-555
    • conrad-johnson MF-2300
    • Bryston 14B SST
    • AVA Fet Valve 400R
    • Bryston 4B3
    • Apollon monoblocks with PuriFi 1ET400A modules
    My favorites have been the Bryston 14B SST and the Apollon monoblocks. I also found the AVA and the Bryston 4B3 especially good. In my desktop system, a used Marsh Sound Design A400s has been in in service for 8 years, and I have never thought of changing it.

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Whoa, Bob Carver Crimson 275! Get any RCA 12AT7 and two GE 7025 (12AX7) short plate and never look back. A GE alternate that sounds identical is JJ E80CC at Amazon. $29 each. You will thank me later.

15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

A great 12AT7 also is the Mullard 6201. I have one in my Sonic Frontiers SFL 1 and it really is excellent

16. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

That Carver piece is no longer here.
    I sold it to the fellow who originally built it and bought a VTL ST-85.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  17. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

50+ Years : Sherwood, harman kardon(quadraphonic), kenwood, NAD, marantz, pioneer elite, reisongA10(el34 tubes), onkyo, and others I can't remember.

18. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Dansette Conquest all in one I bought after finishing my apprenticeship 10 years ago.

Once that broke (ironically in my garage now for repair) I bought a new separates system using a Yamaha AS501.

I then gave that system to my mother for her 50th birthday and bought a Jadis I50 (Never looking back).

dover1968 likes this.
  19. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

B&k ST-100
    Rowland Model 5
    Rowland Model 7
    VTL 300
    Jadis Defy 7
    Goldmund Mimesis 9
    Bel 1001
    Ayre v-3
    Sunfire
    Metaxas Solitaire
    Audio Research VT-100
    Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes (still own)
    Accuphase A-60
    Hegel 160

Integrateds:
    NAD C325BEE, 326BEE, 356BEE (still own)
    VAC Renaissance 70/70
    antique Sound Lab AQ 1003 (still own)
    Audio Research VSi60 (still own)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    jusbe likes this.
  20. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

What is it?

21. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Hi Mcbrion. It’s a 300 b. made by Toolshed Amps out of Wisconsin. Check them out

www.toolshedamps.com

22. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

If I can recall correctly, Realistic SA-175, Dynaco SCA-35, Marantz Model 32, Marantz 250, Phase Linear 400, BGW 500R, a Tangent something or other, Pioneer M-22, Precision Fidelity M-8, Audio Design 20A, Nakamichi PA-5, Lazarus H1-A, Quicksilver Silver Monos, Audio Research VTM-120s, Coda S-100, Pass Labs 30.5, and Pass Labs XA-25.

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

Kenwood
    Yamaha
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Parasound
    Rogue
    Sony
    Cayin
    Yamaha
    Exposure
    Rogue
    Benchmark
    Peachtree
    Yamaha
    Hegel
    Parasound
    Pass

Feel like I’m forgetting one or two.

I’m currently content with a Pass XA25 and Parasound A21.

24. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

Holy Moly, you don't mess around. Lots of high value stuff.

25. Mike4597

Mike4597 Active Member

Well, my first “amp” was a stereo Zenith record player in about 1956, which introduced me to Tommy Dorsey and George Szell and the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra, especially playing Beethoven. I had a lesser Marantz receiver in college, and by the end of the 1970s I managed to acquire a Yamaha preamp CX-2a, a Carver 1.0t amp, and a McIntosh MC2120 driving Infinity RSIIb speakers, later the Infinity Modulus sat/sub system after the RSIIbs were destroyed in a move overseas. That McIntosh last me from 1980 until this year—with a refurb about 10 years ago, when I purchased a Benchmark AHB2 to use in conjunction with a Rogue Audio RP-1 preamp, and a Schiit Audio Bifrost 2/64 DAC driving a new pair of Fyne Audio F702s. The resultant sound is exquisite, with excellent instrument definition, superb sound stage and instrument placement, and dead silence when appropriate. The Fyne 702s are pretty efficient, and I have only had the RP-1 up to about 2/3 volume capacity in our space of about 3,000 cu/Ft, and the speakers “open up” nicely. Extremely satisfied, although the vendor says I should consider upgrading the preamp. The AHB2, however, is definitely a keeper.

mreeter likes this.