What's your fav local record store/s, if your town still has one

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Knoxville is down to just one, Lost & Found Records. Geez, I hope they survive the recession! I was there today and got 2 Chambers Brothers' LP's, a Wilson Pickett, and an Ike & Tina Turner platter.

Until a few months ago, we also had Basement Records but it did a vanishing act. The Disc Exchange carries a few hundred LP's, mostly new, but they seem like a CD store. They stock thousands upon thousands of CD's. If there's another LP store, it's hiding from me.

Buying LP's in person beats the hell out of e-Bay. There's way more Fun-Per-Gallon.

2. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

The Corner Record Shop in Granville Michigan!!! :edthumbs:
    But the local Flea Market beats all record stores in price and condition

3. Rachael Bee

Next time I'm in the snow belt, I'll keep it in mind.... :laugh: My brother's hockey career is long over so I doubt I'll be following the puck up to Michigan... :laugh:

4. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Very slim pickin's here in Chicago, but the rare hits among the countless misses at Reckless Records (on Broadway) have been nice.

Back home in LA, it's Amoeba (duh) or Fingerprints in the LBC.

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

here in SF, record stores run thick as theives, and thank goodness. i regularly hit:

rasputins
    101 music
    amoeba
    grooves
    open mind music (just closed last month)
    streetlight

later, chris

6. Rachael Bee

When I regularly collected Laserdiscs back when, I wanted to go to the city by the bay to haunt Amoeba. That list of joints sounds enticing.

7. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Sisters Of Sound here in my hometown. Have found many interesting used LPs ( 60s instrumental surf, 60s garage, the weird, the obscure, the eccentric, some great old soul albums and even some very rare 50s rockabilly 45s. Also get in a good stock of used CDs-just bought The Pretenders debut 2-CD set there the other weekend. Owned by two sisters (duh) who promote a lot of local bands and musical artists through their store.

8. Rachael Bee

Rene, those sisters' operations sounds so retro. It must'a been about '82, or so, that I last remember a record store 'round here promoting any live music. That's sounds like it's out of a fairtale book these dayz !

9. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

10. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Home of the Cosmic Chicken....

Boo Boo Records on Monterey Street in San Luis Obispo, California, my hometown. M. Ward worked there for a spell... so did I, and I did the wax museum's ceiling in posters, and the new vinyl room's walls in album covers... Peter Buck is a big fan of the store too, and Jon Anderson. I bought my first records there in 1980 and am a 28-year loyal customer, and off-and-on, part-time employee...

In town?, check it out...:righton: tis a classy act.:love:

:cheers:

11. Rachael Bee

I thought they'd changed the name to Otisburg....? Boo Boo records sounds like a place I'd like to get a picnic basket full of vinyl at! ....eh, Yogi !:laugh:

12. AH On Vibes

AH On Vibes New Member

I'm sorry to say, Amoeba.

Pooh Bah kind of lost it in the late '90s.

13. Houston - the recently re-constituted Cactus Music.

--------------

I'll second Music Millenium in Portland, OR. Good store for a city of that size.

--------------

Also like:

Amoeba Records - Hollywood

Concerto Records - Amsterdam

Modern Sound - Rio de Janeiro (although price is high)

Virgin Megastore - Paris (also costly, but usually has good selection of imports)

HMV - Singapore, Orchard Road area

Mix-Up - Mexico City, Zona Rosa (was better 5 years ago)

14. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

Greville Records, Prahran. (Melbourne)

15. Rachael Bee

If I'd named Cactus Music, I'd have called it Reconsituted Cactus Music. Another thing, Cactus Music sounds like it belongs over on the Ponderosa thread.... :laugh:

16. Rachael Bee

I'm holding out hope it's the Melbourne in Florida. That's remotely do'able. I don't think Tted Turner is gonna take me sailing as I'm not near as cute as Jane Fonda or the clones of her he now dates.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:agree:

18. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Amoeba + Rasputin + Streetlight = lots of hi-res, lots of savings :righton:

19. Rachael Bee

Sorry, ya'all live in Deutchland, it's more Fun-Per-Litre.

20. Rachael Bee

Me and Lex have a new theory. The middle of the kuntry is gonna fall into the sun in the middle of the earth. Then Knoxville will be closer to Otisburg and San Fran and I can shop there more often.

21. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

I'm spoiled living in Seattle, there are shops all over the place. My favorite would have to be Easy Street Records though.

22. alexpop

:D

23. Rachael Bee

What can I say, my Mah-sheen is very vita 2-nite! :)

24. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The closest one to me is Silver Platters in Bellevue, Washington. There's another one located at a former Tower Records store in Seattle.

25. alexpop

Sure is :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.