What's your fav local record store/s, if your town still has one

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i love record city! :righton:

i'll be in vegas for the HBO comedy festival next week and a trip to RC is on my list of things to do. i always find something great there.

later, chris

2. Barabajagal

Barabajagal Member

In Buffalo, NY there's only one place for me: M & B Record Exchange.

Most everything in the store (save for a few double-LP sets) is 5 dollars or under and in fantastic condition. Everything has a money-back guarantee and the owner, Bob, is a super-nice guy on top of all that.

3. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Yep. They're in the safe. HUGE old bank safe, wall to wall 45s. I actually went through all of them one day. Don't remember what I was looking for though. Hell, I probably forgot half way through.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I don't get over to Hampden all that much... :shrug:

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I go to Pooh-bah's for the cheap vinyl. You have to look at every record in the place, but if you do, you'll find three to six records worth taking to the counter. Unfortunately, the don't plastic bag their records, so condition can sometimes be a problem.

Canterbury is lame--they are apparently sitting on a ton of used records that the owner is too busy/paranoid to price and put out.

Streetlight is cool. Best vinyl selection of the three, though prices are a bit higher.

My favorites in LA proper are Amoeba (though they are more expensive and the selection not what I feel it ought to be for a store that size) and Record Surplus, which given the combination of good prices, excellent condition, and decent selection, is my favorite.

I still haven't been to places like CD Trader, Freakbeat, and Rockaway, despite having lived here for over six years.

6. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

You should check out Euclid Records.

7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

8. woody

woody Forum Resident

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Bull Moose Music on the Hogan Road in Bangor.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Time Traveller in Cuyahoga Falls is my current favorite, at least for CD's. Their used vinyl is a bit of a mess. They have more and more new vinyl though.

My favorite ever (records and CD's) was Quonset Hut but they all closed four years ago. Music shopping hasn't nearly been as fun since then, though you wouldn't know it by looking at my credit card bills. :shh:

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Baby, baby, babe, I McLove you! :love: I've been in the Book Eddy a couple of times, a couple years back and was disppointed, I'll give it another look. I remember the shop Jay ran down on the U.of T. campus years ago.

Now, that antique mall sounds like a good source for Edison Cylinders...:laugh: I've never attended it.

12. stever

stever Senior Member

Homer's Music -- still kickin' in Omaha and Lincoln, Nebr.

13. rcarlton

rcarlton Forum Resident

Half Price Bookstores. Underneath the table. Otherwise their prices sort of follow the Goldmine Price Guide.

Docs Records also seemed to follow the price guide. Didn't see any real bargains.

14. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I was at Voltage Records in Asheville a couple of weeks ago. Decent vinyl selection, but a little pricey. I'll have to check out Harvest next time I'm up that way.

My favorite N.C. stores are Manifest Discs in Charlotte and Gravity Records in Wilmington, but I can always count on CD Alley (Wilmington and Chapel Hill) and Schoolkids (Raleigh) to have newer indie releases.

Fat Cat's in Boone is a pretty great store, too, as my buddy Norm will attest. :righton:

Jeff

15. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

I don't think you've ever been there. Brian needs to be a little more selective in the condition of his vinyl.

I enjoy perusing Second Avenue Records but they are way overpriced.

16. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Rick has a 'nick' name...

Yeah, them was good days, lots of vinyl, good stuff, and decent prices, before things got scarce and prices went up....

Yeah, I worked at Cheap Thrills too, for Rick Ferris, he still owns and runs it, the warehouse moved from Prado Road (where I lived in 5th grade) to lower Higuera St, just down from Ben Frankin's Sandwhich shoppe. It has the Sub, his head shoppe, attached to it now, and is called square deal records--a wholesale distributter, check the web. When I worked there I got one chance to go into the warehouse and look though his Lp stuff (he is a horder) and I found many jems, but had not enough time not money for it all...(my prized possesion from that day is a UK Chrysalis green label Living In The Past...:love:--found in the middle of 25 US copies...(smaller spine)...

Rick was not so please with me when I jumped ship for Boo Boos, which I equated crossing the Berlin Wall and leaving oppressive commmunism for freedom and democracy... :sigh:

I still shop both places weekly... In fact, I was in both today...

tanks for the memories... :righton:

cheers,
    :cheers:
    mrbilll

17. mrbillswildride

I go there twice a year, and like it a lot. Last time I found a RCA Japan Space Oddity for a tenner...:eek: and I was so excited... He worker, the older guy with the beard said, you know those old RCA sound pretty good... I shook my head... :shh:

:cheers:

Also found a used cd copy of Blue Afternoon, which I have totally fallen in love with...:love:

18. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Yeah, Rick was a trip. The lot was filled with so much stuff, pallets and pallets of cr@p, it was amazing. He was always out there on his forklift rearranging his piles of junk. :laugh:

The warehouse (Square Deal Records) was in the old slaughter house, and we lived in one of the little houses behind it, next to the back of the drive-in theater. I ran the printing press for him which made all of the forms and colored cards that he used for his inventory system. During breaks, I would just browse the stacks looking for albums.

Good to hear he is still around...

19. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I will 3rd The Last Record Store. I've been going there for about 20 years :eek: . It's too bad that they had to close their vinyl only store though I'm glad they never let vinyl go completely.

If anyone is up here in the Wine Country you can also check out Backdoor Disc in Cotati, a few miles south of Santa Rosa off of US 101. In addition to vinyl (which I believe they are getting back into) and CD they also buy DVDs and have some movie memorabilia and collectibles.

On occasion I'll hit up Amoeba in either SF or Berkeley.

20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Here in San Diego:

1) Record City. Great selection, friendly staff, and great prices.

2)Off the Record: It's there, but I don't visit it because it's a complete opposite of the latter.

21. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I've had good luck at Loony Tunes. There's one in Boston close to Fenway Park and the other store is in Cambridge.

22. mrbillswildride

My son showed me Back Door Discs last time I visited him at Sonoma State. Found some nice vinyl there...:righton:

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looney Tunes was really good until the early 2000's, when the former owner sold the stores to one of the employees. Immediately, the deals dried up. Now the stock sits there forever and the prices suck.

In Your Ear is still worthwhile, especially the one in Boston near BU (and Reed, who owns/runs it, is a good guy).

Planet in Harvard Sq is OK.

Cheapo in Central Sq is terrible. They've only survived due to a million year lease at 50 cents a year, or something like that. The guys who run it are d-cks...and their stock is old, dull and overpriced.

Stereo Jacks, near Harvard Square, is very good but small. They specialize in jazz, but have a rock section where I've occasionally scored bigtime.

Man, I REALLY miss Disc Diggers, formerly of Davis Square. Good selection, good prices, and great people working there...gave me a place to hang out and shoot the sh-t after work...

24. mrbillswildride

No way, small world... :agree:

I used to live in one of those back houses, in 1975, for a year... :eek:

Age 10, I ran into a barbed wire fence string in that field by the creek, playing wargames, and still got scared to prove it, almost lost an eye, and one went thru my lips... Ah those were the days my friend... :wave:

I saw Rick today walking into his store as I was walking out... :shh:

25. rlanning

rlanning Forum Resident

I go to Voltage every now and again. Just makes me mad when nobody is at the store during their business hours and the place looks closed up. I'll second Manifest in Charlotte. I was there over the summer and was very happy with the selection.

Greenville, SC is about an hour and a half drive for me and I really want to check out Horizon Records. Looks like a place that would be worth the trip.

Anybody got any recomendations in Chicago, IL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.