What's your fav local record store/s, if your town still has one

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

RL, I checked out the link you posted to Harvest. Looks pretty impressive. Is the 7th photo on the site really from their store? That's a whole buncha stuff. :cool:

Jeff

2. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

Everybody's Records in Cincinnati is a great record store.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Sonic Boom
    Vortex
    Paramusic

4. woody

woody Forum Resident

Horizon is a pretty good shop, especially for newer vinyl. i've found some releases in there i've never seen in other stores. not the largest used section, though. they have an attached restaurant that is good and stays busy. the restaurant also has live music sometimes, not to mention Horizon is only a few blocks from the Handlebar, a great venue for live music.

5. rlanning

rlanning Forum Resident

Haha, absolutely not. It looks like the photo might be from a place called Amoeba.

6. Mr Alden

Mr Alden New Member

Dearborn Music, Dearborn Michigan, Great selection!

7. mmorris3

mmorris3 Forum Resident

In Memphis, Shangri-La & Goner Records are my favorites.

8. One of my faves for sure....:righton:

I try and swing by once every two weeks or so.

9. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Poobah's is hit or miss. I've been in there when I can find 10 mint LPs for $2-$3 then the next time...nothing.
    Goldwax, definitely check out Freakbeat. Bob and Tom are great guys ( I used to work for them when I was at Moby Disc). They've got good stuff at very reasonable prices.

Nearer to home, I've got Just Play Music. It's OK, but overpriced. Especially the vinyl. That's about it in town. Morninglory closed, American Pie moved.

Boo Boos is great, when I get up to that neck of the woods.

10. mineshaftgap

mineshaftgap New Member

Syracuse- The Sound Garden

When I was in school in Rochester:
    -Lakeshore Records
    - The Bop Shop
    - Record Archive

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

If I was the manager or owner of Boh Boh's, I'd change my name to Yogi. Sounds like a place to visit when in SoCal.

12. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I almost forgot Earth Wave Records in Cotati, specializing in Japanese vinyl. I think the retail store closed and now does mail order only. A few years ago I got a Japanese pressing of Queen's Hot Space.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I miss those stores!

14. drbob932

drbob932 Member

Ugh...boy do I miss Quonset Hut. I also have recurring nightmares about my teenage wallet not being big enough to afford those "outrageously priced" MFSL titles that they always carried for $20 or thereabouts..and they had a lot. :cry:

When I began to get really heavy into prog, Time Traveller became THE destination ...sort of still is for that scene, really. Too bad their place in Hudson didn't work out for very long, as it's a little closer to where I'm at now.

Other notables:

Record Den in Mentor (generous vinly section, floor to ceiling cd's...TONS of early or import CD pressings available, as the stock hasn't seemed to change for over a decade with some stuff)

My Mind's Eye in Lakewood (great vinyl selection, knowledgeable guy)

The Beachland Ballroom has even thrown their hat into the vinyl ring with a little store in the basement of the club...basically built from the collection of one of the owners from what I gather. Good prices, and I've found some real gems in there lately.

15. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Rock 'n' Roll Heaven

Rock 'n' Roll Heaven in Orlando, Florida!

:cool:

16. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

Closest Record shop is RANCH RECORDS in Salem they are the main store in a little one family owned 3 store chain with stores in Mcminville and Bend. The Salem store just moved to allow for a larger record section and I assume a little lower rent and with the apt's above a little more income (smart move at a very smart time for the owner) He has reduced his CD offerings and some of the other stuff. The store is always busy when I go in lots of kids.

Then there is Portland with 18 different record stores from a couple about twice the size of my small bathroom to a couple that you could play basketball in. No favorite there I try to hit as many as I can when I shop there. Though I do prefer the smaller stores they tend to be easier to search through.

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Mine was disc-Chord the shop has just closed down :shake: :cry: It was our last recognised record store in my home town, though I keep in touch with the owner as he is a good source of early CD pressings and he continues as an on line business from his home

Simon :)

18. motorcitydave

Record City here in Vegas. Hands down.

19. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

20. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Here in Albuquerque, New Mexico my favorite has to be Charlies. They have a ton of stuff. They clean every record by hand and shrink wrap them all so they dont get manhandled. Pretty awesome place if you ask me. :)

21. motorcitydave

Zia's good too. But their used vinyl section is lacking. I see they opened the store on Sahara. Pretty cool.

22. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

(photo of Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh)

I love Jerry's. It's one of those places where you mustn't go in looking for something... just dive in. I've spent hours without spending lots of money and still walked out with quite a stash.

Soundgarden is great - and I agree: it's in an annoying touristy area... but I've always found good stuff there.

I live kinda between Pgh, PA and the DC/ Baltimore area. It's nice to have an option that's not too far of a drive.

We used to have a cool indie record store here in Frostburg called Rebound Records. He opened in '96 and closed in '04 - just couldn't make it even in a college town. Based on their online catalogs, Rebound was kind of like Crypt and Goner - lots of cool garage, punk, & soul (lots of Sympathy For The Record Industry, Crypt, and In The Red stuff).

I miss that place... :(

I just placed my first order with Goner this afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.