What’s your favorite Hitchcock movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Jan 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors. When I was young and there was no cable tv or home video media, I had to rely on TV broadcasts to see his movies. The Birds is the first one I recall seeing. Some of his movies were not shown on TV for years. I would borrow books from the library to read up on his films and hope to see them all someday, especially Vertigo.

I got to see Psycho at a midnight double feature. (King Kong Escapes was the co-feature believe it or not.) I was stunned by the first murder. STUNNED! To be able to see that scene without knowing about it ahead of time (which is probably impossible now) was a true cinematic treat.

I saw Rear Window when it finally got re-released to theaters. Up on the big screen is the only way to see it! It feels like a stage play unfolding before your eyes.

What a treat when Dial M for Murder got released on 3D bluray. I never thought I’d see it like that and it added so much to that film.

My favorite is North by Northwest. Grandly entertaining. Easily one of my favorite films period. I never grow tired of it. (How great was it when you learned about the kid holding his ears?!!)

So what’s your very favorite Hitchcock masterpiece? Please feel free to share your movie watching memories and introduction to his films.

lbangs likes this.
  2. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

3. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Some great comments! :)

But as noted, there is a thread on this:

Favourite Alfred Hitchcock film?

4. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

Rear Window's my favorite, but in close second and third, respectfully, are Psycho and Strangers On A Train.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I have said Vertigo for many years, but now believe Rear Window may pip it, also up there with those two are North by Northwest, Notorious and Shadow of a Doubt. First half of Psycho is perfection but it then meanders a bit with lesser cast members.

6. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

I don't think Hitchcock ever made that one great film but he made a massive amount of very good films. This makes it hard to tease out a best. If you held the proverbial gun to my head, I would say "Notorious" (8/15/46). The three-way love/hate relationship is always involving to watch. A great double feature with "Notorious" is "Gilda" (3/14/46) which features a three-way love/hate relationship of a different sort.

Crimson Witch and fr in sc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.