What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I don't recall or don't remember seeing Cale wearing glasses.

2. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

My goodness, there are so many.... Ummm, Here's one of my favorites...

Ozzy Osbourne
    reportedly thought 'This Is Spinal Tap' was a real documentary about a real band, the first time he saw it.

3. astro8585

astro8585 Forum Resident

The Beatles began recording their first album at virtually the same time that poet Sylvia Plath was found dead two miles away on 11 Feb. 1963.

Derek Slazenger and uzn007 like this.
  4. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

One of the biggest UK stars of the early 60s was named Heinz.

He died at 57.

5. astro8585

astro8585 Forum Resident

I see now that this has been previously mentioned. I'd discovered this after wondering if she had or might have heard the Beatles. She was at Cambridge in the late 50s so curious if there's any connection to anyone related to Pink Floyd.

6. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees

7. atrocity

atrocity Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thank you for this. I just digitized a kiddie 78 I've had since around 1965 and realized that Roy Hallee is credited. I came here to ask "Is that the same..?" and found this thread![​IMG]

8. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Apparantly, the inventor of liquid paper birthed enough musicians to form a band.
    Correction required?

bagofsoup and Fastnbulbous like this.
  9. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

And combined with other substances may cause some to throw a whitey...

10. Bob Dylan traded an original Andy Warhol screen-print for a sofa ! The lucky recipient was his manager Albert Grossman. This was the mid-60s. Bob was taking a lot of drugs at the time - allegedly.

Fullbug and uzn007 like this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Bob might have got the better end of the deal. Taking all those drugs, he probably needed a good lie down from time to time - and you can't really lie down on a screen-print.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  12. I never thought of it like that :)

InStepWithTheStars and Jarleboy like this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's okay. Some people were buying silkscreen prints in 1964 (when they were 15 bucks a pop)and using them as wrapping paper for gifts.:eek:

Fullbug, LoveYourLife and uzn007 like this.
  14. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

The Beatles, the Who, and the Kinks all released 'I Need You' in the mid-sixties (1965-66)... and they were all different songs.

Zongadude likes this.
  15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Lew Davies,credited on that kiddie 78,was Enoch Light's go-to arranger for Command Records and Project 3,including Command's Persuasive Percussion series. And that label,Wonderland Records,was started by Bill Grauer who also co-founded Riverside Records with Orrin Keepnews. For folks not familiar with Riverside-this was the home for Thelonious Monk,Cannonball Adderley,Bill Evans,Sonny Rollins,as well as Wes Montgomery and his brothers.
    Thanks to my folks,I,too,have a copyright of 1951,late Dec.

16. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Billie Eilish’s mother was an actress who would be familiar to X-Files fans. She also taught improv to Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Coincidence or something more sinister at play? o_O :unhunh:

Was he big on the variety circuit and were some of his songs a bit saucy? :angel:

18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Red Hot Chili Peppers have never even been to California. They're from South Dakota.

19. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Don't know how true this is - cause of the man telling it - but Rick James claimed once that he met Salvador Dali at a party and he scribbled an image of Rick on his napkin. Rick somehow forgot about it the next day when he went swimming and it melted.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The enthusiastic audience applause on The Last Waltz may have been used on more than one live album...

[​IMG]

21. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

Dave Stewart is not Dave Stewart

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

have heard multiple times that the crowd noise/ap[plause on The Outsiders live album was actually dubbed from beach boys live album....

segue likes this.
  23. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Bob giving that Silver Elvis away is--without question--the worst financial mistake he made in his entire life. The last time a Silver Elvis came up for auction it sold for 53,000,000 USD.

Andy Warhol (1928-1987) , Double Elvis [Ferus Type]

Bob: I once traded an Andy Warhol “Elvis Presley” painting for a sofa, which was a stupid thing to do. I always wanted to tell Andy what a stupid thing I done, and if he had another painting he would give me, I’d never do it again.

Bob Dylan & the Strange Journey of Warhol’s Silver Elvis

"Leaving the Factory, Dylan and company hiked the Double Elvis, which already was a valuable piece of art in 1965, to the top of his station wagon and drove off. Reports eventually floated back to Warhol that Dylan had thrown the Elvis in a closet, had hung it upside down, or was using it as dart board, all apparently designed to show his disdain for Warhol. One apocryphal story claimed that Dylan had somehow arranged to have a hose come through Elvis’ crotch so the painting could urinate on command. “Gee, that’s worth a lot of money,” Andy said upon being told that piece of gossip. “He shouldn’t have done that.”

In reality, Dylan hadn’t damaged the painting, but he had gotten rid of it. All accounts — including from Dylan himself — have him trading the Elvis to his manager Albert Grossman for a sofa, a decision he’d come to regret. Grossman’s widow, Sally, later sold the painting at auction for a reported $750,000.

Lost In The Flood, uzn007 and ralphb like this.
  24. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

The 1950s hit "It's All In The Game" by Tommy Edwards, which has been covered many, many times by top artists, was originally written in 1911 by Charles Dawes, who subsequently became Vice President of United States under Calvin Coolidge. Actually, Dawes just wrote the tune and entitled it "Melody in A Major.: The lyrics came later 40 years later from Carl Sigman, a failed lawyer turned songwriter. Sigman ultimately wrote several significant songs, perhaps most notably "Where Do I Begin," the theme from Love Story, which was initially written with words but became most popular in instrumental form.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

That Glen Campbell nearly became a Beach Boy.