What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Well known, and not all that absurd I guess, but I find it incredible that Pink Floyd recorded their debut in the same building at the same time as The Beatles were recording Sgt.Pepper. Even shared an engineer. That studio must have been the most crazy cool environment in the world, especially for the fledgling Floyd, like, ever :biglaugh:

Runicen, Crispy Rob and Jarleboy like this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i can't say for sure, but I'm almost certain I read it here.

Derek Slazenger and uzn007 like this.
  3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Despite being called "Wide Awake in America", U2 recorded all of the songs for that EP in Europe.

zphage and kouzie like this.
  4. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Modern classical composer Roy Harris hated rock music so much that he compared his disappointment in his sons (Shaun and Danny Harris of the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band) recording a rock album to a parent finding out their children were members of the Hitler Youth.

Mylene, Runicen and carlwm like this.
  5. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

Rick Wakeman had curry delivered to the stage during a Yes concert in 1973. Apparently he was bored to death and hungry at the same time. I dont know if it is true though.

Zeroninety and Aftermath like this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't think Rick Wakeman would need a reason to have curry delivered to the stage. He seems like the kind of guy who will do anything just to do it (as long as it's harmless). Reading his totally nonsensical posts is one of the few things I kinda miss from Twitter. (The misery it brought me far outweighs that, though.)

Runicen likes this.
  7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

You're pretty dismissive for something that's easily proven true. Here's the story from the official Yes Facebook page in Wakeman's own words:
    YES (official)

8. InStepWithTheStars

I'm not being dismissive! Rick is a goofball and I love him for it. I'm just saying I don't think he's the type to need a reason to do stuff like that.

Runicen likes this.
  9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

How can you tell which word processor belongs to the blond? It's the one with liquid paper all over the screen.

Runicen likes this.
  10. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

This true?

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Got it - apologies on my side! Agreed he's a goofball, which is exactly why I'd expect something like this from him.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

I heard on the Nothing is Real podcast that Not Guilty by George Harrisson was the first "Beatles"-song to reach 100 taekes, yet it did not end on the album!

Saul Pimon and Aftermath like this.
  13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

14. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

I just realised that of the five singer/songwriters with long careers starting in the '60s that are the most prominent in my eyes, four are born in Canada and the fifth is born only 150 miles from Canada.

15. Jimmy Phelge

Jimmy Phelge Edith Grove Alumnus

BoDeans named their debut album "Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams" after a line in the Rolling Stones song "Shattered".

16. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Maybe I've written this before. Can't tell. But here it is:

Olivia Newton-John's grandfather was Nobel Prize-winning physicist Max Born, whose work was instrumental in the early understanding of quantum mechanics. Max Born won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1954.

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Well, I wrote this some time back:
    What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

David G. likes this.
  18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Has anyone mentioned that before they were in The Cars, Ric Ocasek and Ben Orr we're in a kinda twe acoustic folkie outfit called Milkwood?

How's The Weather

19. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Sugarloaf featured a lot of guys named Bob.

In 1972 (Spaceship Earth era), here was the band's lineup:

Jerry Corbetta - keys and vocals
    Bob Webber - guitar
    Bob Yeazel - guitar
    Bob Raymond - bass
    Bob McVittie - drums
    Bobby Pickett - percussion and vocals

[​IMG]
    Left to Right: B. MacVittie, B. Webber, B. Raymond, B. Yeazel, J. Corbetta
    Bobby Pickett was not included in this picture.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that the real "Green Eyed Lady" was named 'Bobbie'. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  20. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

In proper English, the R.E.M. album Lifes Rich Pageant should actually read as Life's Rich Pageant, with the word life taking on the possessive sense. I was a bit confused by this oversight given the highly literate nature of the band's members, but as it turns out, the album's title was as the band desired. Peter Buck expressed "We all hate apostrophes. Michael insisted, and I agreed, that there’s never been a good rock album that’s had an apostrophe in the title." (see https://www.udiscovermusic.com/behind-the-albums/r-e-m-lifes-rich-pageant/)

I have to admit, upon reading this, I gained even greater admiration for the band even though I continue to believe a well placed apostrophe is one of life's greatest pleasures ;).

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Obviously they haven't heard Frank Zappa's Apostrophe album.

22. InStepWithTheStars

I commented this in another thread:

Evidently, they never listened to This Year's Model, A Hard Day's Night, Cosmo's Factory, It's Too Late To Stop Now, You're Gonna Get It, Fisherman's Blues (okay, that wasn't out yet in 1986)... I think there's also a well-regarded Zappa album with an apostrophe in the title, but I'm blanking on what the name of it is at the moment. :) (We're Only In It For The Money, Joe's Garage... I still feel like there's a big one I'm missing...)

23. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

24. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The Doors Soft Parade and Prince's Parade both charted for exactly 28 weeks on "The Billboard 200". :)

Rycherocker634 and uzn007 like this.
  25. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Hindu goddess Kali the Destroyer's tongue provided inspiration for one of the most universally recognized logos - band or otherwise - in recorded human history:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    PointsNorth and Crispy Rob like this.