What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Just found this out:

Howie Dorough of the Backstreet Boys is related to 'School House Rock' Composer Bob Dorough:

Apparently they are 4th cousins, twice removed. Their common ancestor is James L. Dorough 1736-1813. (Bob Dorough - Biography - IMDb )

2. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sol Weinstein was a comic writer supplying material for Joe E. Lewis and eventually for the Dean Martin Roasts. In between, he wrote four James Bond parodies deep in Jewish/Yiddish schtick starring Israel Bond,including Loxfinger. For a while,the Trenton,N.J.-born writer did a free form talk show in Philly(50,000 watts clear channel at night,sometimes reaching the west coast) back when they were fun-I called in a few times and for a second,thought I was famous. No one lied(unless for a joke),no one insulted,no taking sides.
    He also wrote a song for comedian Jerry Lester,back when Lester was on latenight NBC,pre Tonight Show. One fun fact-he hired a curvy beauty,now named Dagmar,as the dumb blonde sidekick-she was dumb like a fox and eventually took over the show. Yes,it was Dagmar who had duet with Frank Sinatra,Mama Will
    Bark,often used as an example of how much Sinatra hated producer Mitch Miller.
    The song,The Curtain Falls,was commented as being butchered on air by Lester. Then Bobby Darin discovered it and ended his nightclub shows with this-there is a studio version and the live recordings include it. Steve & Eydie recorded it. It has that "clown taking off his makeup" pathos but a great final line that adds a little seltzer down the pants. A different era.

4. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

Here's something from the Jerusalem Post no less regarding one of my favorite British invasion bands from the sixties, The Searchers, who are well known for their early introduction of the 12-string guitar, even before The Byrds.

“That 12-string sound on ‘Needles and Pins’ was a total mistake, and it wasn’t even done with 12-string guitars,” chuckled an affable [John] McNally during a recent phone call from his home in Liverpool. We used two regular six-string guitars playing the same riff and added a little echo and reverb, and suddenly it sounded like a 12-string. We thought it sounded great and decided to leave it like that, and everyone thought we were using 12-strings. To recreate the sound on the road, we actually had to go out and buy 12-string guitars.” (The Searchers still on ‘needles and pins’ )

5. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

He’s also the inspiration for this muppet:

[​IMG]

Buddybud, sharedon, Tim 2 and 6 others like this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The psychedelic riff of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by The Status Quo was something like that too. Two guitars playing the same thing, with one slightly out of tune to create a slight depth/bending in the notes...

7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Dolores Fuller, former girlfriend of my favorite director Edward D. Wood, was in Glen or Glenda and Bride of the Monster (Bride of the Atom, space age stuff, very big with the kids right now), went on to write or co-write "Rock a Hula Baby," "I Got Lucky" , "Spinout" and "Do the Clam" for a certain singer from Tupolo, Miss.
    She said that Ed wanted to marry her, and that they broke up not because of his transvestitism, but because of his alcoholism

8. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I used to think Grandpa Munster wrote Blueberry Hill, but it turns out that was a different Al Lewis.

SomeCallMeTim, PhoffiFozz and carlwm like this.
  9. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

and it was owned by Harry Nilsson.. who i believe later sold it to Pete Townsend

Sean likes this.
  10. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

One for the Brits, but well-known actor Hugh Fraser, think Captain Hastings in Poirot, wrote and played the theme tune to Rainbow!

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's fascinating. :righton:

He played the Duke Of Wellington in Sharpe too, if memory serves.

piston broke likes this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Per Wikipedia, Kim Carnes (who had a hit with "Betty Davis Eyes") was a background singer for the theme song of the Fat Albert And The Cosby Kids animated show.

13. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

14. michael bacinello

michael bacinello Well-Known Member

Ravel (classical composer) submitted the first movement of his Sonatine for a composition competition and lost despite being the one and only submission because it was one bar longer than the rules stipulated.

15. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I thought that was Duane Allman.

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I love that theme! There's a longer version of it I heard on youtube once, I wondered if there had been a single? Also there was a bear in the show, can't be too bad if there's a bear!

Former Scientist likes this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

She was also one of the singers in the Sugar Bears group! I'm thinking she'd be the one in the blonde wig who sings Feather Balloon...
    [​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  18. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

LOL It does look like Duane :)

19. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Some versions of the bear were angry/scary.
    There was also a big pink camp hippo and what ever the **** Zippy was.

The 00's dance/ techno/rave remix It's A Rainbow :D

Oh yeah, re music off of Rainbow, rumour was that Jane supposedly left Rod for Freddy - wiki says Jane was married to Rod, divorced him then eventually married Freddy decades later.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    piston broke and beccabear67 like this.
  20. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

& before Rod, Jane & Freddy were Rod, jane and Freddy, they were Rod, Jane & Matthew Corbett off Sooty.

Discovered this ridiculous fact off twitter the other day
    Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden having a drum battle/duet with Sooty & Sweep on The Sooty Show

21. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

And I thought "Rod, Jane and Roger" was the first version.

piston broke likes this.
  22. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Miss Lemon was in a band in the seventies.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

So Bob Dorough, eminent Jazz pianist, songwriter, vocalist, arranger and producer, is related to Howie Dorough of the Backstreet Boys. By happenstance, Bob's name popped up just today when I was researching Spanky and Our Gang. Bob apparently arranged the tune 5 Definitions of Love from the band's eponymous 1967 hit album. If you listen to the song, it sure does sound a lot like what one would later hear in Schoolhouse Rock videos, composed and performed by none other than Bob Dorough.

beccabear67, Hadean75 and uzn007 like this.
  24. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

Eric Clapton's 1998 single "My Father's Eyes" starts with the line, "Sailing Down Behind The Sun," which was the title of his 1985 album.

25. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

The bear you speak of was Bungle - who ran about naked then put shorts on when it got warm :D

And here's the full version for you.

Definite good and bad trip vibes off of this.

beccabear67 and carlwm like this.