What's your favourite Blues record today??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Lettin' tha' Dog out!!!
    Genuine Houserocking Music - Hound Dog Taylor And The Houserockers
    [​IMG]

pblmow, Greenalishi, blutiga and 4 others like this.
  2. Slick Willie

The Big Bad Blues - Billy F. Gibbons
    [​IMG]

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Van Morrison - Roll With the Punches

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Well the album is on its way so I will find out later this week

Greenalishi and blutiga like this.
  5. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Debut from a killer new band,with James Harman vets,Kid Ramos-guitar and Willie J Campbell-bass,former Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers drummer-Jimi Bott,Anthony Geraci from the early Ronnie Earl days on keyboards and Brian Templeton from the old Radio Kings band on vocals.
    [​IMG]
    Here doing a great cover of this Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac classic...good stuff!

pblmow, GerryO, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Live Wire/Blues Power - Albert King
    1B/1B.
    [​IMG]

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Love it Man!
    Have you seen my new Albert King thread?

Greenalishi, Slick Willie and jhm like this.
  8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Thanks, I did not know about this - I like James Harman!

GerryO and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Reid Smith

James Harman isn't on it,just that Kid Ramos and Willie Campbell played with him in that great 80's band he had when Hollywood Fats was a member.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Greetings Blues fan-atics...

While shopping for some new music this week I ran across a CD that caught my eye...it was cheap so I bought it...

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - The Gospel of The Blues (2003)

It consist of 19 tracks from 1938 - 1948 her golden decade...

SRT a part time Gospel , part time secular Blues artist...

Her only superior when it came to gospel was Mahalia Jackson & her Blues sides are easy the equal to Memphis Minnie & all the male Blues artist recording at the time...

SRT could play & sing with best of them...

SRT was also the first gospel performer to play The Apollo in 1943...

Her last major performance was at Newport Jazz Festival in 1967 & can be seen on the DVD...

SRT died of a stroke on Oct 9 , 1973...

Whether SRT was in front of a big band like Lucky Millinder Orchestra or standing with just her guitar she was a force to be reckoned with...

Her acoustic guitar was no prop , her hard as nails picking has a sinous style that is reminiscent of Memphis Minnie , Lightnin Hopkins & T Bone Walkers sharp clear playing...

I have a lot of vinyl SRT but no digital and for the price & selection I thought why not...

& man I am glad I bought this cd , the sound is nothing short of excellent to say the least...

The info doesn't say anything about remastering it states the disc transfer & audio restoration by Steven Lasker...

Never heard of the cat but kudos to his unfutzed with work on this wonderful testament to SRT magnificent talent...

It has a very nice sound stage with nice clear as a bell detail to all the instruments & most important the cat was smart enough not to mess with the mid-range!

The cd opens with her earliest Decca side , the secular My Man And I , which is SRT and her guitar then moves to her gospel This Train...

By track # 4 we have SRT in front of Lucky Millinders Orchestra performing the blues standard Trouble In Mind...

As the music rolls on we get her version of the traditional gospel songs Rock Me & Nobody's Fault But Mine (yes its the song the Dead & Led Zeppelin cover )....

The record closes with her outstanding Up Above My Head from 1947...

But in between these tracks there lies many more jewels to enjoy...

SRT had the best of both worlds for a time , she could shout to the Lord or shout about her trifling no good man..either way she was one of the best regardless...

This is a great sounding enjoyable CD to someone who has enjoyed SRT music for many decades thanks to Bob Dylan

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  12. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Muddy Waters - One More Mile: Chess Collectibles Vol. 1

After hearing the core recordings of Muddy Waters, this comp of mostly rare and unreleased Muddy is a great next step and is phenomenal! Sound quality is very good and every track has mojo.

[​IMG]

13. samthesham

Greetings & salutations fellow Bluesters...

Bout ready to kick start the Christmas scene , so while I have time I thought I would post my weekly Blues album...

Savoy Brown - You Should've Been There (2004 reissued 2018)

Same mastering , only difference is packaging , '04 jewel case & '18 digi-pac...

This is searing live document of SB recorded at The Yale in Vancouver BC 2003...

From someone who grew up on SB in their golden era 67-73 I just can't refrain from praising Kim Simmonds current band & their current run of very fine albums...

Beggining with 2003s Strange Dreams the band began a series of records that has only gotten better...

Every bit equal to the early years & KS vocals suit the music just fine, IMO better than anyone since Youlden or Peverett...

Their latest Witchy Feelin (2017) is a marvelous retro snapshot of historic SB...I digress

On to YSBT...

It is as close as you can get to being at a latter day SB performance...

The music is mastered , engineered & produced damn near perfect...

Thanks to Kim Simmonds & his associates at the time...

Drums & vocals centered , guitars Kim R & David L & bass clean thumping filling the room makes the record a essential piece of SB history...

With a total of 6 songs clocking in at 59:19 it is a white boy Blues n Boogie conisseuirs dream come true...

The songs are divided equally , 3 from historic era & 3 from modern era...

The definitive live version of the funk blues Street Corner Talking along with excellent concert staples of Poor Girl (dedicated to Lonesome Dave) & the Viet Nam nightmare anthem Hellbound Train...

Makes YSBT the essential live authorized SB now available...

I was there at many early SB shows & have attended a few recent performances as well &

YSBT is exactly what SB sounds like live today...

Band tight & locked in with Kim handling all vocals & his guitar screaming for mercy but none in sight...

If you , like me , periodically want a good solid dose of late 60s early 70s era blues rock this is for you...

Complete with all the English electricity you can handle...

Buy it , you won't be disappointed...

Track listing & times

1.When It Rains 2:57
    2.Where Has Your Heart Gone?11:30
    3.Poor Girl 11:34
    4.Blues Like Midnight 9:54
    5.Street Corning Talking 12:34
    6.Hellbound Train 10:58

Merry Christmas to all ! & don't forget to boogie!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Features the great guitar sounds of Little Ray Ybarra who plays very much in the style of early Jimmie Vaughan.
    The album has a feel & sound much like the early Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Reid Smith, monte4 and Greenalishi like this.
  15. Reid Smith

It's almost Christmas so time for some Christmas Blues.Really nice album featuring older recordings with the original band and more with a later version of the band.
    [​IMG]

Some nice slow blues featuring the early band,Alan Wilson-harp,Henry Vestine-guitar,Larry Taylor-bass,Fito de la Parra-drums and special guest Dr John- piano and of course Bob Hite vocals.

16. samthesham

You know it !

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Some early Tinsley Ellis on the Landslide label, before he went solo.
    Cool On It - The Heartfixers
    -A/-B, Masterdisk, HW x 2.
    [​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

Sings The Blues - Howlin' Wolf (Ace) CD

A wonderful 20 track compilation of 1951-1952 Modern/RPM sessions.

Half the tracks were originally issued on a Crown LP.

"This CD edition is completely remastered from the very best sources, the sound on this collection surpasses all previous releases. This is the genuine article - accept no substitute." [from the sleeve notes].

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

blutiga and Kingsley Fats like this.
  20. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

This sounds terrible on CD. I can't even listen to it. :rant:

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

A hint to the reason why is found in the DR database: The vinyl version has a healthy DR of 11 while the download, which is probably the same as the CD, has an incredibly low dynamic range of 5!

I can’t believe someone actually thinks it is a good idea to completely squash the music. And that the artist that has created said music with love lets that happen.

Finch Platte likes this.
  22. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

It's highly unlikely that the artist has any control over the mastering process.

23. samthesham

Greetings & salutations fellow Blues-niks yet once again...

As I type & gaze out my living area windows at the raging blizzard that is savaging our section of America (the lower Red River Valley of MN)..

I thought what better time to post my weekly Blues album...

Today's post is 1 in a series released by Charly label in the late 1970s that featured numerous Sun artists...

Rosco Gordon is my featured artist tonight...

The LP is Rosco Gordon - The Legendary Sun Performers (1977)...

RG roots began in the late 30s & early 40s but by 1951 Gordon was recording for Sam Philips Sun Studio in Memphis , just a year after Philips orig Memphis Recording Service was renamed Sun Studio...I digress

This 16 track compilation covers 1951-1957 with excellent liner notes recording dates & personnel info...all in all a essential LP...

Along with being pressed on fine thick wax , completed with great original monoraul sound....

For someone looking for the off - the
    wall bedlam from the likes of Huey "Piano"Smith & The Clowns...

RG TLSP is right up your alley & garaunteed to delight...

IMO RG is the missing link between Prof. " Fess" Longhair & Huey Smith...

Rosco like PL & HS was a vocalist , pianist & bandleader...

While PL & HS were based out of the Crescent City , Gordon was based out of Memphis...

Each track on TLSP dictates RG inimitable raucous abrasive unhinged style of R&B , along with his addictive personality...

The man is also being credited as being a innovator of the Ska sound...

That is probably debatable , best left to Ska freaks...

Any-hoo Gordons band consisted of piano , drums , bass , sax & guitar (with Sun Studio session musicians featuring guitarist extradonaire Pat Hare on numerous cuts)

RG music was akin to Little Richards outer space insanity...only slower than LR propulsions...

My copy is NM & I just sprung for a sealed copy to add to my collection ,
    leaving other copies for folk here @ SHF to indulge in...

My suggestion is , if you're unfamiliar with RG don't hesitate any longer the joy of this super cool artist...

& all the other TLSP series of albums

For those who prefer CDs , the 27 track 1996 Charly comp. is excellent with knock out sound

Now excuse me while I maintain my sustainablity during this massive storm...

Until next week , Happy & safe New Years to all

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I love this guy!

monte4 likes this.
  25. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Prepare to be amazed, Jason, to me, is the best harmonica player to come along in a long time.

monte4 likes this.