What's your favourite Blues record today??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    Yes, of course: - Lonesome Sundown! . So underrated, and one of my favorite Blues musicians of the late fifies, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lonesome Sundown - My Home Is A Prison

............................... .... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    fenderesq, Slick Willie and jhm like this.
  2. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    Today is John Lee Hooker Day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.......................................... [​IMG]

3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

This is a great collection of many of the lesser known Excello artist.Kid King's Combo,one of my favorites here.It shows there was much more than lowdown swamp blues on Excello..Smokin,Toe Tappin Jump Blues!
    [​IMG]
    Kid King and the Combo rock hard on this tune,from 1953.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Reid Smith

That is a great record and very valuable now,It's looks like the original release in Mono.How long have you had it?
    I got mine back in 1964 or 65,don't remember exactly,when i was a young teen.Had no clue who Lightnin Slim was at the time.Was buying Slim Harpo's "Rainin In My Heart" record and saw Lightnin's record and thought he's on Excello,looks damn cool on the back cover with his guitar and lot's of songs with blues in the title :) it must be good,so i bought it.Still have both those records to.

Mark J likes this.
  5. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

Of course, it's the US Mono first press from 1960.
    I've bought it in the Internet at discogs from an American seller for 180 bucks (plus postage plus custom fees in Europe) three years ago.

Vinyl ist optical strong VG/weak VG+, playgraded VG+(+). . Coversleeve VG+++
    In flawless NM condition prices are sometimes up to 500 $ or even more.
    In my eyes it is worth the money. It's a classic and one of my favorite Top 5 Blues LPs of all time.... [​IMG]
    ´

fenderesq likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have 7 of those in the upper picture I enjoy

7. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

[​IMG]
    1 Wrapped Up In Love Again
    2 You Don't Love Me (Instrumental)
    3 Cockroach
    4 Killing Floor
    5 Lonely Man
    6 If The Washing Don't Get You, The Rinsing Will
    7 Drowning On Dry Land
    8 Drowning On Dry Land (Instrumental)
    9 Heart Fixing Business
    10 You Threw Your Love On Me Too Strong
    11 Sky Is Crying

Tuck1977, Slick Willie, DTK and 3 others like this.
  8. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Canned Heat

samthesham and monte4 like this.
  9. Reid Smith

i think i paid around $2.59 or so for mine new back in the 60's.Since i have been the only owner of it,still pretty much like new.The cover a little worn but the record still shines like new.Never thought about selling it,but if someone offered me $500.00 or more i might seriously consider parting with it ;)

10. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    From 1961:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.............................................. [​IMG]
    ´

Slick Willie and blutiga like this.
  11. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    Another one from 1961

[​IMG]

.............................. [​IMG]
    ´

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Stone Crazy - Buddy Guy
    Reissue
    [​IMG]

mwheelerk and blutiga like this.
  13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I guess it's Boss Man Blues. Live number from RL Burnside & Company -

crazy eights and blutiga like this.
  14. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Greetings all yet again...

This weeks post is really just for nostalgia purposes...

Muddy Waters AKA McKinley Morganfield 2LP (1971)

Until the exhaustive & essential Chess Box of late 1980s got released AKA was the premier Muddy compilation on LP to own...

AKA was a paramount release in 1971 & a must have to fans of the Blues...

Anybody who claimed to love the Blues and didn't have AKA in their collection were frowned upon by other aspiring young Blues afficinadoes...

To say you loved the Blues but didn't own AKA was akin to saying you liked Jazz but didn't own Kind Of Blue or you were a fan of the Beatles but didn't own Rubber Soul or even worse Sgt Pepper...yes it was in fact a very important record in the Blues & Rock medium of the 1970s...

Those of us who owned AKA had no idea how great Muddy could sound until modern technology arrived in the 1980s...

Yes it has inferior mixes on a few tracks & some of the early music has the sound of a 78 needle drops...

Didn't matter to us , we had a definitive 24 track 2LP set of "THE MAN" at our fingertips...

At the time AKA replaced The Best Of Muddy Waters & its 69 reissue Sail Away...

Unless you were there , its hard with all the box sets & comps that have been issued post-AKA , to grasp the magnitude of this release , I didn't use the term paramount for naught...

Not only did you get 24 of Muddys greatest sides you also got a short informative bio written by Blues-Nik Pete Welding inside the gatefold cover / sleeve...

Now we didn't only own the man's music , we had our own little history book on the the mystery as well , powerful & exciting indeed...

AKA is also the reason that the Stones EOMS was the last white boy blues music I bought until the Fabulous TBirds emerged & Charlie Musselwhite made a comeback on Alligator Records...

Jagger said it himself better than anyone "Why would you listen to the Stones , when you could listen to Slim Harpo or Muddy Waters in the stead " quote unquote...

Like I stated earlier I listen to AKA when I feel the need for personal Blues nostalgia & get the urge to revisit a LP that was essential to my long , longer , longest Blues journey...

Of special note , Chess also released a 2LP Howlin Wolf set in 1971 , it too was a album of paramount scope , just not of the magnitude of Muddys AKA...

Truthfully Wolf was / is my main Chess man so when that nostalgic Wolf fix rises I inherently play his 1971 2LP set as well...

Point being whether you were a Muddy freak or a Wolf freak it was imperative to have both sets in your collection , especially if you wanted to impress a chick or your road dogs

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Just watched a live feed of Buddy from the Legends Club. He was playing a lot of guitar tonight!!!!!!

16. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I meant to thank you for posting this. I didn't know about this group but after seeing this I went out and got a copy.

Reid Smith and Kingsley Fats like this.
  17. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

18. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

Talking to vendor at flea market in Mississippi yesterday. Said he had some of those “thick records” at his house. Said he would bring em up there sometime, and I’m thinking, no let’s do this now. Market was about to close and told him I was 200 miles from home so I followed him to his house where he had about 100 78’s thrown in washtub. Even though most had covers they were absolutely covered in dust. Couldn’t even read labels. Most looked like Sears or Wards, cleaned dust off first 5-6 and they appeared to be black gospel. I figured what the heck, and gave him $100 for tub full. Just getting them cleaned up and a few gems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Chess Box, by Muddy Waters. :righton:

Slick Willie and monte4 like this.
  20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wow
    What an amazing find

jhm likes this.
  21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I cannot believe you have an original copy of Charlie Patton Pony Blues.
    This is a big deal in my books. I really hope it plays well for you. If you ever do a needle drop I’m your man.

jhm and cypert2 like this.
  22. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My first choice as well.

Naughty Chord and cypert2 like this.
  23. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    Well, I've recently sold 'Right Place, Wrong Time' (didn't like the additional saxophones/horns).
    Some other LPs by Otis Rush - like 'Cold Day in Hell' or 'Live in Japan' (both 1975) - I still have and appreciate.

And as good as 'Hoodooo Man Blues' is, I think that there are even better albums available by Junior Wells & Buddy Guy:
    Especially their mid-sixties work for the Vanguard Label (in the UK partly released on Fontana), and also 'Southside Blues Jam' (Delmark, 1970)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUNIOR WELLS W/ BUDDY GUY - LOOK HOW BABY - 1966

Otis Rush - Mean Old World

.......................... [​IMG]
    ´

Slick Willie, monte4 and Tuck1977 like this.
  24. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

Ye
    Yeah,it’s a big deal for me, also. Plays through with a lot of noise, not unlike a lot of old Paramounts. Ive been lucky as heck lately. Found Skip James 22-20 blues in an antique store couple months back.

wwaldmanfan and Tuck1977 like this.
  25. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident