What's your favourite Duran Duran album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Desert Explorer, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Think the first US had an extended version of "Planet Earth" and omitted "To The Shore". The next release omitted "To The Shore" for "Is There Something I Should Know". The US record label really didn't like "To The Shore"

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  2. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

That version which is on Harvest is a fantastically mastered album .Heavy disco sounding. I got hip to it on this forum and I believe it can be still picked up relatively cheap.

3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, I've heard rumors for years but have never actually known someone who has one first hand. I think the fact that there's nothing on Discogs shows that they don't really exist.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

They did make it the b-side to the Planet Earth 7" at least. :) Harvest/Capitol really butchered things up with some of those 80s artists though.

AFOS, Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I can hear why the US/Canada ditched To The Shore (it sucks). :laugh:
    A few years ago I was on a search for the elusive original tracklist on compact disc till I heard it.
    Damn happy with my 83 re-press and Capitol JAX compact disc :)

jamesc likes this.
  6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Sacrilege! :p

7. c-eling

I grew up with the old cassette re-vision, anything else just seems alien...
    It makes a descent b-side, lol

jamesc likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

W.H.A.T.? An original song "sucks" but a much newer single that totally doesn't fit sonically and conceptually is ok? Come on!

enro99 and jamesc like this.
  9. c-eling

:laugh:
    Sounds like a Spandau Ballet leftover..

10. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Hard to choose between Rio and Tiger, but gave the edge to Rio (as I now see many others did too).

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love “To The Shore” and hate “Is There Something...”!

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:shake:

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's not the best song on the album but it's how it was made and how I'd like it on CD. "Is There Something I Should Know" is a great single but out of place on the debut.

theholygoof, jamesc, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  14. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Their first three LPs comprise a great pop trilogy with a wonderful dark path in Arcadia (that LP just gets better over time, like Japan recorded a sequel to "Gentlemen Take Polaroids.")

Their debut is a dance club classic while "Rio" is their peak but SATRT has a great global vibe plus "The Seventh Stranger," my favorite song of all time and the gateway into accepting DD having been a vocal skeptic.

But I LOVE "Pop Trash Movie" for the title song, a perfect and underrated DD track and even "Meddazzleland" has some terrific songs on there, including the very unique final track. I remember when the "Electric Barbarella" clothing store opened briefly on Melrose...

15. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

This is really tough, wish we could have more than one choice. I was a major Duranie as a teenager. Seven and the Ragged Tiger was their first record that I was able to buy on the day it was released so it holds a special place. "Hungry Like the Wolf" was the first song I heard on the radio by them and "Is There Something I Should Know" was the first time I actually saw them, I saw the video on HBO's music video show. I have to say The Chauffeur is my all time favorite Duran Duran song.

But I don't know, I think it might be Notorious or Big Thing(which isn't to say I don't love plenty of songs on the other albums too). And my favorite "not a Duran Duran album but almost" is So Red The Rose by Arcadia(Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes, a bit of Roger Taylor - what they did when John and Andy Taylor were doing Power Station). I always liked Arcadia better and I think the album has aged better.

I also...oh deary me...very much like Red Carpet Massacre(horrors, gasps,banshee wails) - I think that album has some really great songs on it and it was unfairly maligned because how dare they do a couple songs with Timbaland. As if Duran Duran weren't always, in their own way, into beats - they always had that dance music side of them and it was only a few songs. One thing I've always liked about them is weren't stagnant, they would always try to do new things, change their sound. And every single time there would be fans going "how dare they do that". I just don't get that.

In any case I'll put the vote in Notorious.

16. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

Top 5:
    Big Thing
    Rio
    So Red The Rose - I'm counting it!
    Duran Duran
    All You Need Is Now

Moshe likes this.
  17. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Rio is the best, but the first one set the pace.

Seven is in hindsight half baked and overproduced, but I enjoyed it at the time notably for the atmospherics and very modern at the time synths.

I continue to follow the band but there’s been little since Liberty (which I loved) to grab me the way those did.

jamesc likes this.
  18. Night Version

I wasn’t aware of its existence. How to identify on discogs?

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Errrrr.... go to the Discogs entry for the first album and look for the US version on Harvest?

20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

To me So Red The Rose is a Duran Duran album - as much as later albums minus Roger and Andy were Duran Duran albums.

But I have to wonder. It's already a great album but with the full band could it have rivalled the first two? "A View To A Kill" could also have been included. What could have been..

21. Night Version

Apologies for frustrating you with my question. I thought there were multiple Harvest releases of the s/t?

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love Seven And The Ragged Tiger as well as Rio.

Love Paper Gods.

23. c-eling

All early US Harvest and Capitol carry the 6:20 Planet Earth, it wasn't until 1983 that the single Is There was added :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Night Version and Neonbeam like this.
  24. c-eling

I would of preferred Late Bar Jeff for inclusion, surprised the song didn't make the album. Would of placed well after Anyone Out There :)

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  25. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I would agree with this. I especially like that DD and Rio have a few dark songs on each but STRT is kind of a dark album overall. Arena was also like this with its single Wild Boys.
    So many memories of 4,5 and 6th grade...

Night Version and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.