What's your favourite Duran Duran album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Desert Explorer, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I just played it yesterday and think it's very good. The 2nd side is some of the best music they've created.

2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Rio. By a wide margin.

Cheers

Nightfly68 likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That would be

B1 Astronaut
    B2 Bedroom Toys
    B3 Nice

The title track is very good indeed. Not too crazy about "Bedroom Toys" or "Nice".

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Somebody voted for Thank You, which was released on this day back in '95.

To me, that was a head scratching move to follow up their big comeback with a covers record.

ARK, Kristofa and jamesc like this.
  5. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

Paper Gods.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Great album!

7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Rio, hands down. One of my favorites of all time. After that, it's the debut, Big Thing (very underrated IMO), and Notorious.

8. Zealous

Zealous Active Member

I really love Rio, but I voted for their debut. I do believe Rio is a better album as a whole, but I really love the atomospher of the first one a lot and there are several songs I would place in my all time favorite Duran Duran songs list.

Carlox and jamesc like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm not a big new romantic guy, or pop guy, but rio is a great album.

10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Haven't read through the 9 pages but I might be the only one who really enjoyed Medazzaland and Pop Trash. Rio is probably their best though.

1. Rio
    2. The Wedding Album
    3. All You Need Is Now
    4. Pop Trash
    5. Medazzaland

I look forward to reading your scornful remarks.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  11. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

# 3 Notorious
    # 2 The Wedding Album
    # 1 Rio

12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I like them both, Pop Trash being way up there. Warren brought that one home and it definitely has a Warren edge to it. Say what you will, he's the best guitarist they ever had.

Max Florian and omikron like this.
  13. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I played it recently and enjoyed it, I think I got the quirkiness finally. "Watching The Detectives" and "Perfect Day" are light years better than the originals IMHO

Max Florian and JeffMo like this.
  14. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Rio. (favorite)
    But every decade since they've been together, at least one great album had been made!

15. Neonbeam

Errrrr..... "Perfect Day"? "Light years" better than the Reed/ Bowie/ Ronson 1972 original? I know what Lou said but...... ooooooooo..... kay. :idea:

16. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

1. Rio
    2. Duran Duran
    (love "Careless Memories")
    3. All You Need Is Now

Runners-up:

1. Big Thing
    2. Notorious
    3. Red Carpet Massacre

Max Florian and JeffMo like this.
  17. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

No, but I may well be the only one who regards Medazzaland as their best album (despite being a fan since 1983).

omikron, bataclan2002 and JeffMo like this.
  18. Record Rotator

So good. Probably my favorite "Duran Duran" album. Great singles, great deep tracks. Inspired, creative, atmospheric, moody, exciting, melodic,
    and exhilarating.

davers, Neonbeam, jamesc and 4 others like this.
  19. Record Rotator

Just a friendly piece of advice: Never read anything written by NME, possibly the dullest, most self-important "music" magazine
    of all time. Just read the title! What serious music magazine would come up with a childish "question" like that? It's just a mocking
    way of saying: "Hey, who the hell would bother listening to these has-beens, anyway?"

That said, I agree with you that there aren't any exciting songs on Astronaut. However, I do think Nick Rhodes adds some interesting
    synth sounds/flourishes, and the title track and "Want You More" have a certain vitality lacking from much of the rest of the album.
    What still makes it an enjoyable listen for me, is the fact that all of the songs are very melodic. Duran Duran are very good at writing
    atmospheric ballads and and captivating midtempo deep tracks ("The Chauffeur", "A Matter Of Feeling",
    "Too Late Marlene", "Palomino", "Love Voodoo", etc.).

For instance, I really like "Still Breathing" (lovely; top-drawer), "Finest Hour", "Chains", What Happens Tomorrow", and "Taste The Summer"
    (had this been released as a single in 1984/85, I imagine it would've become a big hit for them (at least in the UK). But "No Point Of Return"
    is my favorite song from Astronaut, a really lovely, melancholic, mid-tempo track with a warm, summery vibe. Perfect for Simon Le Bon's
    voice/vocal. Also, keep listening to "Chains" and "Still Breathing"; they are not innovative songs, but maybe they'll ease you into actually listening
    to the album :). Sorry, one listen just doesn't cut it! :tsk:

noahjld, California Couple and jamesc like this.
  20. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I would have both of those in my top 7 . They are great records.

Max Florian likes this.
  21. Chris Bernhardt

I don't agree with Perfect Day, but Watching The Detectives is a highlight for me. Roger Taylor on drums, and it sounds like 1982 Duran. Elvis Costello disliked it though.

Max Florian likes this.
  22. Chris Bernhardt

Astronaut is one of those records that takes repeated spins to appreciate. My expectations were high with the original lineup and I ended up being disappointed. Nothing kicks your ass but it's a solid collections of songs. Like Seven and the Ragged Tiger, it sounds like a album that was difficult to make , somewhat a slog.

Record Rotator likes this.
  23. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Astronaut and The Wedding Album are the only DD albums I really, really don't like because they sound like two big 'meh's to me. One thing DD generally are not is bland, and those two albums have too many songs - and the sound itself - that are just... vanilla. They don't sound like their usual selves there. Astronaut has faint traces of the original Fab5 chemistry, but otherwise sounds inoffensive. Red Carpet Massacre was a big return to form (and my favourite among the reunion-era albums).

24. Neonbeam

Oooooh, thank you! But better keep your "advices" and "never"s to yourself. NME's "Astronaut" review is actually pretty funny and well written. You don't need to agree with it, to admit that. :evil:

25. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Astronaut is a solid album all the way through. One of 6 Duran albums that are BETTER than Revolver. :evil:

Record Rotator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.