What’s your favourite Klipsch speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Oct 27, 2022.

1. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

There was a nice set of Belles for sale locally last year that I regret passing on, right now a set of vintage Hersey are up for grabs enticingly close.
    But for now my RB 75's(DeanG crossovers) have the ability to play big like a floor stander together with their cool neutral presentation and sparkly top end will just have to do.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I love your RCA swag collection most.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Quartets are what I play in rotation with Tannoy Berkeley’s

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I gotta go with the Klipschorn, such a unique concept. Though some Jubilees could be cool as well heh heh. But I'd really like to have a room where I could put the K-horns and triamp them with digital crossovers. That's a fantasy because I'll never do it, and also I'm pretty sure more sophisticated mid- and high- frequency horns have been designed by now. Actually if I searched enough DIY there are perhaps better corner horns by now. Another bucket list fantasy would be to have floor-to-ceiling snail-shell corner horns driven internally from a floor-to-ceiling woofer array. A nice plane wave coming out! Gah, then you're have to repeat that with the mids and highs which is eh not really possible I guess.

5. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

I'm more than happy to take those Heresy 1s off your hands (seriously)! They're spectacular.

6. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

Nice! Build your horn array on a first floor over basement cut a hole midway between corners and half way to seating position in the floor then bolt a open baffle sub driver array to bottom of floor to use your basement to fill in low frequencies.

Khorn likes this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have never heard them but the simple outrageousness of the Jubilees make me want them...

[​IMG]

The ones in the middle...

8. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

Unfortunately I already sold them. They were beautiful. Walnut with the original cane grilles in pristine condition. I upgraded them with new Sonicaps from Bob Crites. I definitely liked the way they looked better than the IV's. The cabinets were a deeper, richer walnut and the cane grilles were spectacular.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've owned Heresy's, Forte's, 3 different pairs of Cornwall's(including my present pair of '77's)and '77 La Scala's. By far, the La Scala's are my favorites. They are just sound truer then the rest of them, more like live music. Dynamic. Placement is non fussy. I recently upgraded the Type AA crossovers to Type A's built by Dean G, a master modder well known on the Klipsch forums(and now official crossover builder for Klipsch) that included Jupiter Flat Stacks caps. Did a beautiful job of updating the classic original crossovers without removing the magic that those original caps brought to the mix.

I like the other one's well enough, especially the vertical Cornwall's that I had and foolishly sold some time ago. But in the end they proved a little too thick and muddy sounding for my tastes, although the most recent pair upgraded with Crites crossovers are not as bad, particularly when placed NOT near a wall or in a corner.

I almost gained a pair of Khorns over the last couple of weeks but the deal fell through. My room/corners are not perfect for them, but I still think ultimately I could get enough out of them in it to make it worth the trouble. But I'm not holding my breath of seeing them anytime soon, and that's ok with me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Investigated multi amping a few times but Klipsch dissuaded me. Not like my Pro JBL setup which was a combination of stacked boxes and individually horn loaded drivers in a multi amped array.
    Klipsch cited individually tuned and matched speakers.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

With vinyl using my Dual 1229 turntable with an Ortofon 2Mblue cart through my old Scott 299b tube amp, I still stand by my Chorus 1's which were modified with Bob Crites crossovers and diaphrams. I recently sold my 1984 pair of Cornwalls to another forum member, who has given them a nice new home. I hated to part with those Cornwalls but my wife insisted and we didn't really have the ideal corner set-up for them due to space, plus she has truly fell in love with our Chorus 1's since we updated them with the Bob Crites upgrades. She is always saying "let's play some records", especially now that we are heading back indoors more often with colder temps outside!

12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Unless there’s something I can’t see, your corners are plenty good enough to adapt Klipschorns to. You’ll way more than ultimately enjoy them given the chance. Good luck.

Frank Bisby likes this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Another vote for Heresy's. Get them up off the floor, tame the tweeters with a little eq. and they will Rock your World!

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

I'll chime in with a vote for my "Underground" Jubilee's as they are now referred to since the introduction of the new Heritage Jubilee's. As Roy at Klipsch says "they sound ok":righton:. I have upgraded the horn drivers to the AXI 2050, the same driver as the new ones. Mine have a walnut front panels and I built grills for them so they also look ok. The analog and digital sources are put through the Xilica XP-4080 and then to QSC pro amps. You want quiet, they play quiet, you want loud, they do that too!

Frank Bisby and Ntotrar like this.
  15. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Cornwalls all day!

[​IMG]

16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I enjoy my modded KLF-20 speakers. Crites crossovers, titanium diaphragms in the mids, and MAHL tweeters. I don't have the room for Klipcshorns or LaScalas but I've always wanted to try them. I also have a pair of RP600m bookshelfs that I set up on stands from time to time. They sound very good indeed with music along with my HSU sub, ST70 tube amp, and Jolida preamp. Just killer small speakers imho.

MikeJedi and Frank Bisby like this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Interesting. I would be really surprised if the horn impedances, especially the tweeter which still looks old-school, were smooth enough to really work the greatest with physical crossovers. And I would expect the drivers are not time aligned. Not to say the design is bad by any means, but it would still be fun to play with.

Khorn likes this.
  18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Pictures please!

Khorn likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for affordability the kg-5.5 can't be beat, they can be found used for less than $500 a pair.

SandAndGlass, Khorn and MikeJedi like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I had a pair of Epic CF3. I liked them very much but sold them when I got my first pair of LaScalas. The CF3 got a bad rap at the time for not being as lively sounding as other Klipsch. In any event I like Lascalas. I replaced my first set with a second set in much better cabinet condition and updated the cross-overs( as I had done with my first set). Great speakers like no others.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Khorn likes this.
  21. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Heritage HP3

Cheers,
    Robert

Khorn likes this.
  22. CAH

CAH Forum Resident

I spent a few months with Khorns and they did some things amazingly well in my less than ideal room. I probably abandoned them too quickly, instead of trying to work around some of the weaknesses by changing equipment. I went from Khorns to Altec Valencias for a brief spell, I've now had VOTT A7s for a few days and they are a little smoother than the Khorns with more of the midrange warmth that I was looking for. But they don't do bass as well as the Khorns. I thought the Khorns were quite exceptional in that regard, not deep subwoofer bass, but taught and tuneful and true to the tone and timbre of the instruments. Perhaps one day I'll go full circle and give the Khorns another shot. Great speakers.

[​IMG]

23. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

Very happy to have KG4s for my main system.

Looking for some KG2.2 for my office.

24. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

i'm with @Chris Schoen and @CarmineRed -- big heresy fan. my heresy 1s sound absolutely incredible (no sub)! i have all alnico drivers and find there's magic in those magnets.

pic of my heresys in the wild. note that this is poor set-up (too far away from the walls) and has been remedied!

[​IMG]

25. noway

noway Forum Resident

Had Heresy II and didn't really like them. Had Forte II and really liked them. Heard Chorus II at a dealer and liked them. If I was to buy them again, used, I would pick either Forte II or Chorus II or Cornwall II. The rest I would pass on. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the extra expenditure of subs. However, used prices for the aforementioned have increased exponentially in the past 10 years and yet the speakers are 10 years older. IMHO they are no longer good value in stock (original) form.