What's your phono stage history?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

What is the list of phono preamps you've tested, chronologically? And what did you end up with?

My history goes like this ;

- VPI Nomad onboard preamp
    - Dynavector P75 MK3
    - Lehmann Decade
    - Manley Chinook (on the way)

Each one was a *huge* jump in quality and consequently listening fun!

Using the Decade and enjoying every moment of it. The Chinook's got a lot of hard work ahead of itself if it wants to impress me!

Curious about your phono preamp history. Post 'em! :)

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It's almost as long as the list of cars I've had...

First, and this barely counts, but
    -the integrated phono on a $100 Yamaha stereo receiver
    -Vincent Pho-8
    -MS Phonomena I beat out the Vincent so it stayed and PHO-8 went back
    Enter new table, MC cart (Classic 2, DV 20X2L)
    -Budgie SUT + Budgie pre
    -Aric Audio tube line stage with built-in tube phono stage (tried to consolidate, should have stayed with Budgie)
    I then had an issue that I thought was tube microphonics (it wasn't) so I got:
    -Odyssey Tempest with a very good SS MM/MC stage - this one is still a very special memory for me, it worked very very well
    The issue above drove me to just start fully over, sadly (turned out to be a wall shelf in a small room with subwoofers is a bad idea, my bad)
    Enter Music Hall MMF 7.1 with AT 150-MLX
    -Started with an iPhono V1 - liked it
    -Went to an iPhono V2 - loved it
    New table - PolyTable Super 12, new cart AT Art9
    -Manley Chinook (upgrade bug bit)
    -Couldn't resolve a hum, downsized to a Lounge LCR mk III and a Copla
    -Herron VTPH2

Total of 11 phono stages I've tried.

So, long story short - ran into several issues that were almost always my fault, and swapped out equipment trying to resolve. Thankfully almost all of the above were bought used so I didn't go bankrupt doing all of it, but it did give me a sense for how these devices impact the sound, how you truly define "synergy" and how, in the end, their ability to unravel dense passages and convey dynamics and "weight" beyond tone, and how they draw the sonic illusion in front of you isn't necessarily directly related to price. But, my current stage ain't cheap so there is at least something to be said for the cost of the unit, I suppose.

All that said, the exhaustive list above gives me confidence that in fact, with the Herron, I have an end-game phono stage. And if I didn't find one that was as affordable as it was on the used market, I'd have probably kept searching for another Budgie SUT and added a Budgie pre and been done with it. The performance value that combo creates is unreal.

hi_watt, BigGame, Kyhl and 5 others like this.
  3. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

When I got back into vinyl.....

- used built-in phono in the AVR
    - moved TT to a semi-dedicated room and started with the ProJect Phono Box
    - Musical Surroundings Phenomena II (bought used and it lived a short life, but was excellent while it lasted)
    - Tavish Design Vintage 6ls7

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Built-in Marantz (AV7005)
    Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ (Excellent for several years)
    PS Audio Nu-Wave (didn't like this at all so it went back. Too forward on treble)
    Whest Audio Signature THREE (overall, pretty good but also a bit too forward on treble, returned)
    Pass Labs XP-15 (fantastic but introduced a maddening buzz that no other preamp has, so it went back)
    Sutherland 20/20 (best preamp I've had even though it's half the price of the XP-15 and Whest, it's quiet and has excellent bass/midrange warmth, smooth yet open highs).

Bottom line, cost has nothing to do with a phono preamp - in my experience. The MS Phonomena sounded better than a $2k preamp and a $3500 preamp. The Pass and Sutherland were the only ones that sounded better than it.

5. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

NAD PP2
    PS Audio GCPH
    Zyx Artisan
    EAR 834P

I still own the last 2. Using the Zyx now, EAR needs a voltage change (just moved back to US from Europe, and even though the back indicates multi-voltage PS, it's 240 only). I like them both though!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Klyne SK-2

ARC SP-10 mk ll

ARC PH 3SE

Naim Stageline/FlatCap, HiCap ll

Naim Superline/Supercap ll

Devialet 170

McIntosh C-22 Reissue

Still own the last five. All are musically enjoyable. Would love to have another Klyne.

hvbias and gakerty like this.
  7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My primary system included built-in phono stages until about 2009. I then tried a few phono preamps that just barely squeeze into the upgrade realm - the original PS Audio from decades ago, a Bellari VP-129, Pro-Ject Tube Box (surprisingly good), and a Musical Fidelity V-LPS. Then I stepped up to the PS Audio GCPH, and to the Audio Research LP1. I’ll probably stop there unless the LP1 breaks. And even then I might go back to the GCPH.

GyroSE and gakerty like this.
  8. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

I've only been in this vinyl game for a few years tops, and it has mostly spiraled into an obsession. For me--
    some cheap Behringer -> Cambridge Audio MM (CP1?) -> Vincent Pho8 -> Lehmann Black Cube SE II -> Pass XP-15. Each was better than the previous. The Pass sounds amazing. On loud intricate passages, the Lehmann would break up a touch, the XP-15 doesn't skip a beat. Such a pleasure to listen to with my Lyra Delos.

9. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Pro-ject USB Box S (not a terrible little unit, honestly) > PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter (very nice with a great ADC for ripping) > Gold Note PH-10. I actually will receive the new dual mono induction power supply add-on for the GH-10 sometime in February. If it significantly improves the wonderful clarity of the PH-10 I'll be suitably impressed.

And @Strat-Mangler, I'll be surprised if the Chinook betters the Lehman Decade, honestly, as that's a wonderful unit.

10. Strat-Mangler

Not sure how it'll all go. The Decade is a wonderfully balanced and resolving unit. Meanwhile, the Chinook's tubes might create some nice midrange imagery. Who knows? Selling it won't be an issue as it's a terrifically popular phono stage so I'm sure it wouldn't take long for somebody to snatch it if I put it up for sale.

11. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Some little POS that I don’t even remember the name of.
    Sutherland Ph3D
    Sutherland Hubble
    TW Acoustic RPS-100

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

[​IMG]

When I was a young whippersnapper, Pioneer amps came with their own phono stage. In fact, my SA-9100 had two phono inputs and two grounding posts. It even had switchable impedance and a variable input on Phono 2. With those additions, I bet it had two phono stages, both with discrete components. It was 1973, after all. And if anybody is curious, those 1/4" jacks in the picture? Those are mic inputs. Why not put in two phono stages when you have mic preamps built-in, too?

The first piece I owned for its phono stage was the Advent receiver. It was 1977. Actually, I wanted it as a back-up preamp, and used it that way, although I also ran only its power amp or tuner sections at times to get me through. All for $265 retail. My main preamp varied but ended up being a Mark Levinson ML-7A. Now there was a phono stage!

My first separate phono stage was the Musical Fidelity V-LPSII. I really liked it but I have no idea of where it is now. I must have lent it to someone. That happens.

Currently my main phono stage is a Parasound JC3, which I love, and a very serviceable NAD PP3 I bought through the board's classified section for $100. The NAD is hooked up to my B&O turntable with the Parasound on the VPI. I also have lying around a Behringer phono stage, which is dirt cheap and I'm sure horse pitute, but will do in a pinch. Mostly it is for friends who need an immediate solution for a new turntable. I'll always be the stereo salesman for my circle. I'm glad they call.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

full-function preamps with phono stages:
    SAE Mark XXX
    Dynaco PAS-3X
    Eico HF-85
    back to a modified Dynaco PAS-3X
    H-K Citation I
    Adcom GFP-565
    back again to a modified Dynaco PAS-3X
    Quicksilver full-function with Cinemag step-up transformers for a Denon DL-103R
    Adcom GFP-555
    and a "new" Dynaco PAS - I built myself. New chassis and parts

and then separates:

Graham Slee Era Gold V
    Threshold FET-10/PC
    Bottlehead Seduction
    AudioSector phonostage (DIY and improved version of the PhonoCube)

and I'm probably forgetting a some stuff - like integrated amps.

Threshold FET-10 was one of my favorites, along with the Bottlehead (with Amperex tubes) and the Quicksilver.

Strat-Mangler and Cliff like this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

NAD PP2 ==> Pro-Ject Tube Box S (one tube roll so far, to Genalex Golden Lion)

Plus:

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    Pro-Ject Phono Box DS (meh, the only one I could sell)
    Parasound ZPhono USB

Agitater, DrZhivago and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Reading the responses, I like how people change phono stages like their underwear. Until I read a post upthread, I had completely forgotten I owned the Lounge Audio phono stage and MC step-up box for a cup of coffee. Oh, yeah.... It was nice but my needs changed. The same thing seems to happen with others.

16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I've only changed one so far, the original NAD, all the others I still own and use. I'd like to buy more, too, but have no need for them (or room).

17. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

If I may ask, if you had to rank them in order, where would the Budgie rank? Lounge?

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have two systems with turntables, one in Los Angeles, another in New York.

L.A. (Music Hall MMF-7.1):
    The phono input on my Pioneer SX-850...

...then a Lounge Audio LCRmkIII...

....then added the Lounge Copla for some gain...

...Now using an Icon Audio PS2 (all tube) along with the Copla

N.Y.C. (Kenwood D-5070):

U-Turn Pluto (when I used an Orbit Plus)...

...Then borrowed the L.A. Lounge...

...Currently a Vincent Pho 8

I also tried out one of those Realistic models from the 1970’s briefly, had a fun sound for rock.

Thinking about tubes for the east coast now. I just added a hybrid SS/tube Lector VM-200 power amp to the system and am inly using the Arcam Solo as a preamp, everything is sounding much better. But a few more tubes in the chain would do nicely....

19. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Disclaimer - my memory is fallible, but if I were to rank the top 6 on pure sonic merit:

Herron
    Chinook
    Budgie SUT + pre
    Tempest line/phono pre
    iPhono V2 (it did have the upgraded PSU but I never heard it without)
    6a. Lounge Combo
    6b. Phonomena

This may sound weird, but the gulf between the Herron and the Chinook is larger than the gap between the Chinook and the Budgie. To be fair - the hum I got with the Chinook was unique to my system and it made me a little less objective in grading it, for what it's worth.

20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

What do you think of the Tavish Vintage lLS7?

It was going to be my choice for a tube phono stage, but I came across the Decware, Which is a perfect fit for the vintage Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-160 Super.

I do have another couple of vintage Dual's which need some attention. I still have the Tavish under consideration for one of those.

21. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I've only owned two, which is definitely different than the rest of the system.

Cambridge Audio 640P - a budget phono stage. And sounded like it.

Synthesis Brio - a $1K new (bought it used for half that) Italian 12ax7 tube phono stage. It slapped the 640P around in every possible category. Showed me how important a phono stage can be.

I started a thread recently about upgrading the Brio, looking at three different options for replacing it, but to be honest it sounds great and I wonder if I should spend the money when I really don't need to.

englishbob, Morbius and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

This is my experience too going from Budgie + SUT to Chinook to Allnic H-1201. The jump from Chinook to Allnic was a larger jump than from Budgie + SUT to Chinook. That Budgie + SUT is a great value at $800ish...

My path...
    Rogue Sphinx onboard pre
    Phonomena ii+
    Sutherland PhD
    Luxman 505U onboard pre + SUT
    Budgie + SUT
    Chinook
    Allnic h-1201

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  23. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I've always been intrigued by that Chinook. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it!

WapatoWolf and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Hope you like reading! LOL!

25. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I too used onboard for many years. Since then I’ve had severAl including the PhonomenaII, iPhono, Tubebox SEII, and some others I can’t remember, but I have to admit my first external was a little box from Radio Shack that was actually a whole lot better than it had a right to be.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.