When a band is ''on''

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vamborules, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

We all know it when we see it but how would you describe what it is? What does it mean for a band to be on?

2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

A term I used in another recent post here is "in the zone", which I think is the same thing. To me, both terms mean things like the band is at a level above and beyond their norm. That they're solidly together and working as if they were a well oiled machine. That they're not controlling the music anymore but the music's controlling THEM. That the listener can just FEEL the energy and the excitement. Not just a "good" performance, but a transcendent one. Those kinds of things.

3. It’s when you don’t have to ask. You just know.

4. vamborules

I think it's interesting because it's kind of an obvious thing but difficult to put into words.

hangwire13 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. vamborules

What made me think of this was watching this Black Crowes show. It's obvious from the minute they start that they are just cooking.

But how do you describe what makes that different than a band just playing their songs and sounding good? What is actually happening that's different.

enro99 likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

From being in a band, it is a strange and inexplicable connection where everything just works.
    When you have played together a lot, you have a connection anyway, but when you're on.... it's like everyone is inspired, and in sync... like the band is of one mind.
    It's really sweet when it happens.

7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I've been in a band with the same guys for over 40 years but I've never felt it, even on nights we were told we were just amazing.

As an audience member, when the band is "on" it almost becomes a religious experience. I saw A Perfect Circle early on in their career and the show was so incredible it was mesmerizing to the point that I felt I was floating on air in front of the stage. This was without any drugs. The band was locked together as one so much that you didn't even notice the individual players.

Hard to describe but immediately apparent when it happens.

Fred1 and enro99 like this.
  8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Duane Allman called it "hittin' the note".

You can't explain it as it's just a magic that happens when the stars line up. Some bands made miracles on a regular basis.

mark winstanley, Fullbug and Svetonio like this.
  9. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

As a gigging musician I will explain it as this

being on is when the whole band can get in a flow state. To get there everything has to be completely second nature which takes a ton of practice. Once things become second nature and everything is perfect that isn’t when the band is on. That is the catalyst for being on. Once that point is reached it is about every musician digging deep and feeding off of what each other is giving. Often times it just takes one guy to inspire everyone else, but once that happens the band can get in that flow state. It passes quickly but after the gig you know all was right and it felt great.

this is coming from me. An aspiring musician who wishes to reach the great heights that others have. But it’s the same thing for all of the greats. Headspace and inspiration is needed. This is why some bands play everything perfect and people say they were just going through the motions. It’s all about channeling everything you have got into the music and feeding off of the energy of everyone else including the audience. I wish it happened more often than it does.

blehman, Fred1, Radagast and 4 others like this.
  10. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I used to joke with one of my friends about something being "beyond perfect". I say "joke" because common wisdom is that when something is perfect, it can't be improved. But that's not really true. I even eventually found out there's actually a word, Pluperfect (pronounced ploo-perfect), which means "better than perfect".

There's a restaurant I eat at regularly, and my favorite dish there is always fantastic. Enjoyable, nothing out of place, absolutely satisfying. No complaints. But sometimes - SOMETIMES - it's even BETTER. They outdo themselves, like the dish has been touched with magic. I can't explain how or why this happens, but it DOES. It's a real phenomenon. Take all that and apply it to a band's live performance.

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

This

The Grateful Dead Dark Star (live at Winterland 10/18/74)

Cryptical17 and US Blues like this.
  12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

...or this!

The Who Won't Get Fooled Again (Live Aid 1985)

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Sly and the Family Stone at Woodstock
    “Higher!”

Fullbug and Svetonio like this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The music plays the band.

15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I like the way you explained this, being a guy who played in gigging bands for a number of years. I might split hairs on the actual effort and focus aspect of it. Sometimes trying too hard can be of detriment IMO.
    I'll put it into my own words.
    When your well rehearsed, you've built a safety net to avoid disaster and you're always basically good.
    You know the material well enough to nail it on auto pilot. When on auto pilot to some degree, another element enters and your really in the groove.... It's not so much about the auto pilot or extra effort, but about perfect co existence of all those things putting a band in that space, and you feel it with a strong sense your audience does too. This might only last a small part of a gig, but knowing you got there makes the night.... After all, you're well rehearsed, and even when not at the absolute height of performance, you're still delivering.

In the end I can't really speak for anybody else, but that's how I see it.

Fred1, Vibrolux_Reverb and Fullbug like this.
  16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

as a musician who was lucky enough to play hundreds of shows live ( all basically with he same band) over 20 years give or take , i can still feel the shows when we were on so to speak. it's like the four of us were functioning as one with the audience in tow. it is an amazing experience.

BDC and Fullbug like this.
  17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Here's a good example, IMHO, after Jerome's intro. Jeff and Denny and Walt are just ON FIRE!

shadowcurtain likes this.
  18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Here's the Who playing new material at Young Vic, and they just sound amazing

57 Goldtop likes this.
  20. state88

state88 Forum Resident

Are these those moments in time that Springsteen refers to as "when 1+1=3"?

21. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

For my fave band, this is the example I would use to show when they were "on".

RogerB likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Can were on.

Eiszeit, Fred1 and jmpatrick like this.
  23. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

At their best the live shows were almost hypnotic. It was the drums, IMO.

Neonbeam, Eiszeit and Fred1 like this.
  24. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Grateful Dead at Woodstock :sigh:

Vs

Grateful Dead 2/28/69 :goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.