Does it annoy you when artists re-record their hits again?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Sep 13, 2022.

1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

Just listening to Robbie Willams new album with re-recorded versions of his old songs and i feel the new recordings are not good enough compared to the orginal releases . so does it annoy you when an artist you like records new versions of the old songs ?

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

3. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

No artist I listen to has ever done this that I can think of.

HotblackDesiato and SunSon like this.
  4. Low Frequency Oscillator

Low Frequency Oscillator Forum Resident

When it's something like Beth (Eric Carr vocal) it does, yes.

And I don't even like Beth...

On the other hand, what Bowie did with his 60s songs on TOY was fantastic.

warewolf95 and BourbonAndVinyl like this.
  5. David Timothy Richardson

David Timothy Richardson Forum Resident

No. No man...S**t no. I believe somebody'd get their ass kicked for doing something like that.

6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

never heard one that was better than the old one

7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Ellington did it often and well, but Duke was an exceptional artist. Monk did it a fair bit too. Depends how creatively they do it.

tug_of_war, DTK, Mr Sam and 14 others like this.
  8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I would make an exception for Joni Mitchell’s update of “Big Yellow Taxi” on her Shine album.

Mostly though it annoys me. I can understand why they do it though. Often it’s just a cash grab, but sometimes they think the original recording did not do the song justice.

9. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

* Many artist’s songs are re-recorded to retain copyrights and publishing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    DTK, OasisFan, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes - I think re-recording it once, is enough. ;)

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Robbie Williams, though...? Do you think he's ever gonna get any credit for even recording them the first time? :laugh: If he can get away with it, and sell more copies he gets a better rate for, more power to him!

Ian S likes this.
  12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

If it is the artists artistic vision it does not make me mad although I may not like or buy it. But some 50s artists re-recorded their past hits to get around ownership issues and these re-recordings were almost always inferior. Sometimes one could not tell which version one was purchasing. THAT would make me mad.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

14. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I am only annoyed if I do not know if it is a re-recording before I buy it. I did, knowingly, buy an ELO Greatest Hits CD that had all new recordings Jeff Lynne did. KISS did it as well..

15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Exactly what I came here to say. Nothing against the artists who are getting some sweet cash I assume but I want it to be written in the same font as songs and stuff like that on the CD cover. I've been trying to buy a bunch of '70s hits of my childhood and I've gotten suckered into buying re-recordings quite a few times. None have been anything close to the originals.

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I like it live but not as studio remakes.

51IS and LilacTeardrop like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not always...I loved John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot re-recordings...on Greatest Hits and Gord's Gold...

18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Robbie Williams annoys me period

Once of the worst offenders is "Sting and The Police" re-doing Don't Stand So Close to Me in 1986 for a compilation LP. An incredibly dull and boring remake.

On a positive note when Bowie rerecorded Space Oddity in 1979 is was an incredibly stripped down affair and just brilliant.

19. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Pink Floyd re-recorded Money for A Collection of Great Dance Songs - couldn't tell the difference back then. I can now.

20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Gord should not have re-recorded certain songs..."The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" being at the top of that list.

Dennis Metz and Revolver like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm not listening to artists who are doing that. :unhunh:

realmdemagic likes this.
  22. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Chris Rea did this very successfully when he switched labels and recorded "New Light Through Old Windows", which involved re-recording a lot of earlier songs.

To my ears, the remakes are mainly far better than the originals, with the one exception of "Fool (If You Think It's Over)", which loses something, in part through transposition to a much lower key and also, in part, due to some yukkee 80s keyboard and the lack of a string section.

At the other extreme, the remake of "Stainsby Girls" is superb.

Rea was still in his thirties when he did this, however, and none of the originals were more than 10 or 11 years old at that time.

Doing remakes after a quarter of a century is a different thing entirely and is unlikely to draw favourable comparisons unless the artist has something new and good to bring to the songs, such as Frank Sinatra might have back in the day.

23. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Often it is a strategic move in order for an artist to get a larger share of the film and tv licensing income because the original label still own their old masters and the revenue splits in their deal are awful. There is no reason for those recordings to end up on an album.

That said the bonus disc of re-recorded Kiss hits that came with Sonic Boom was really very good. I also like the recent-ish Paul Simon set of self-covers.

Overall I find it odd that people are cool with live albums of old songs (often with a plethora of post event fixes and overdubs) but draw the line at the same thing happening as a studio project.

24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I like BOC's Cult classics and also like UFO's Walk on Water.............Case by case for me

RonChrysler and AussieMuso like this.
  25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It only annoys me when the re-recorded version replaced the original version in a greatest hits or best of compilation album.