When did 78 rpm records stop being produced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlmostHeavenWV, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI Thread Starter

I ask because I've just noticed that the only 78 I have was released in 1962. So there was a market for them then, even if just for children's party songs. But were 78 rpm blues records still being manufactured in the early 1960s?

[​IMG]

And I do know about Moby Grape's Just Like Gene Autry: A Foxtrot, but that was put on a 33 rpm LP, not as a stand-alone 78 rpm release.

2. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

There are a handful of threads out there on this very topic. Standard commercial 78s ceased to be pressed in the United States in 1960 or 1961 depending on who you ask, and a few years later in the UK.

"Money" by Barrett Strong exists on 78, and was likely first pressed on 78 in November or December of 1959. That is the youngest 78 I am 100% positive exists.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  3. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Around 1960 in the U.K. I think. Elvis' "It's Now or never" is a mythical 78 release.

4. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

Small black owned labels continued to push 78s until at least 1958. I have an unreleased 78 RPM acetate from Herman Griffin scheduled for release on both 45 and 78 on Carmen Murphy's H.O.B. records. The 45 RPM master survives in another collection. These date from 1959.

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

A little traditional jazz / ragtime label called Rivermont released a few within the last maybe four years or so.

6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    AlmostHeavenWV and Tamla Junkie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.