When did Gary Clark Jr get this good ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

watching SNL , and was kind of stunned, as I have seem him live a couple of times (and bought a couple of his albums) and was never knocked out--but , wow , tonight , was amazing-----sure makes up for making me suffer thru GVF a few weeks back

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

He's about to tour my country. Reading this just wets the appetite even more!!!!!

3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I don't know what I expected, but I was underwhelmed. I thought the guitar fills punctuating his vocals in the first song were lame lame lame. On par with most garage band "blues" artists. I don't personally care for his voice either. I was hoping for much more, and got much less. Kind of par for the course with SNL music of late. He sure looks the part though. If only he could dance.

Also, one "whets" their appetite. I suppose one could drown it ("wet" it) but usually the sentiment being expressed is about sharpening it, as in using a whet stone. Just saying.

4. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

The first tune he did was absolutely killer; channeling Prince, Hendrix, and the great soul singers of the 60s. I am really looking forward to his new LP.

blutiga likes this.
  5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Didn't see him on SNL, but he's always been great. His biggest issue is he incorporates elements of a more modern sound in some of his music... like hip hoppy R & B (of which I am absolutely fine with) and that may not appeal to blues-rock purists.

JL6161 likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Thanks for the correct meaning :)

GerryO, PhoenixWoman and Atmospheric like this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

For me, the second tune he played (“This Land”) was the keeper. The first one didn’t do anything for me. Don’t like the falsetto vocals (I am pretty much NEVER a fan of that). Even his guitar playing seemed oddly generic (Not that I can play like that, but still).

But “This Land” hit hard, and he seemed on the verge of going on a Hendrix-ian tear if he weren’t limited by TV time constraints. Angry song, rightly so in these troubling times.

Hadn’t heard it until last night. I was not aware that NBC made him leave out the “N-word” until reading about it this morning. I can understand that, but they way he turned his head at the moment the word should’ve been uttered (I watched that clip again) was telling. Tricky thing, but I think they should’ve let him keep it in.

I like Gary. I understand his not wanting to be limited by only playing blues/blues-rock. The stuff with hip-hop, etc., really isn’t my thing, but I appreciate his wanting to chart his own path and evolve as a musician

8. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Fair enough; I'm a fan of artists who can weave all kinds of music into their own distinct amalgamation to create their own sound; Bowie, Prince, etc. I appreciate the hip-hope influences in his music as much as his blues/soul/rock influences. In an era where music treads so boringly along the lines of expectancy, I think Clark Jr. is a real breath of fresh air.

9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My wife and we’re talking about GC Jr this morning. How he should be way more popular but for 1) lack of great songs, 2) lacking an identifiable voice and 3) being somewhat stylistically all over the map. In a parallel universe GC Jr is a Jimmy Page or Joe Perry guitar legend from some great band where his talents are a main feature, but not the only feature.

I love his playing and tone. But I’m always waiting for the solos. Never the chorus. Dig This Land though. Maybe his best record so, that one.

10. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Halfway through the new album right now...this is his best studio work thus far, no question. His incorporation of a variety of styles (R&B, jazz, soul, hip-hop) has felt a bit forced before, but it comes across much more naturally now. As expected, great licks throughout, with some nice melodies. Excited to hear more of this in a live environment, where he always elevates his game.

Edit: Re: "Feed the Babies" - Zat you, Marvin Gaye?

radickeyfan likes this.
  11. radickeyfan

yea--i am liking this a lot more-then his previous albums

12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I saw him several years ago, and he was awesome. I think he just more assured of himself, but he was a great musician for many years..

13. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Just now.
    A brilliant song that says what a lot of people are thinking.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    oboogie, JuanTCB, ZenArcher and 6 others like this.
  14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Saw him at an ACL taping in 2015 or 2016, which was really fantastic. I should probably track down the episode for this show at some point, but for whatever reason I don't think I have seen it.

15. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I have two of his, "Live" which I like a lot and "Sunny Boy Slim" which is hit and miss.

16. radickeyfan

he was great on Stern

smarone313 likes this.
  17. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Saw him a few years ago at a festival having never heard of him before and I thought he was great, one of the best on. Liking the new LP. Gets a bit more soul than blues sometimes but I the new stuff I like.

18. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Agree but that his strength, not an issue. The blues rock thing is so played out for decades and nobody under 60 cares. He’s mixed ingredients and given that type of music new life, and that’s 100% why he has a growing mainstream audience and critical respect.

hurple, NaturalD, jackinbox and 4 others like this.
  19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm a bit on the other side of the table with this new album. I've struggled a bit through two listenings and it just did not grab me I can't say why. I might give it another try though I don't usually make that much effort these days to like something.

20. Old Zorki II

I should get my vinyl record today (local store did not have it). Digital download sounded outright bad - compressed and brickwalled, I only hope vinyl is better.
    As of record itself - I like it more then previous ones (not counting couple of great songs). Just great music. And I am old as dirt.

jackinbox likes this.
  21. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I find this song offensive. And musically I think its unlistenable....

22. Old Zorki II

When I heard it first time I also thought "o man, he also joined the crowd..:" But then I read an interview with him and where this song is coming from, and I can understand his position and anger much better now. IMHO.

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was going to post pretty much the same thing. I heard him talk about the song on the Daily Show, and he said he tried an edited version and it just didn't convey the message properly without the language. I really like the song, but listening to it makes me uncomfortable, which is the point of course.

He did edit it when he performed it on SNL.

RandelPink and Hadean75 like this.
  24. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

When did he get so good?

Seems he's been "good" for some time now

Hadean75 likes this.
  25. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Agreed.

I respect his right to express his views and beliefs in his music. That is what's wonderful about creative expression. Doesn't mean I have to agree with him or listen to this song/album. If others can identify and enjoy with it, then I am happy for them. I know some of the artists/songs I listen to would not necessarily be appreciated by others for various reasons and beliefs. Again, that's fine too.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his Live album and his Bright Lights EP. I consider his Live album to be up there as one of my all-time favorite records. I just don't like the recent musical direction of his sound. However, every artist has to grow and evolve. For the time being, I will just stick with what music I have and enjoy from him and be happy.

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.