When did Mick Taylor start to get sick of the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Minor point but I believe that's incorrect. He was a full member throughout his tenure with the band.

Dean R, Zeki and All Down The Line like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My understanding is the there was a short probationary period for Taylor to see if he would work out on the 1969 tour. However, when the Stones formed Rolling Stones records after leaving Abkco he was given a 20% share like the other members.

KeninDC, Zeki and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Thanks for the correction. I figured it was most of his career with the band.

All Down The Line and John Fell like this.
  4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I just happened to watch the Crossfire Hurricane movie last night, and that was basically it. Taylor said he felt he had to protect himself, and his family, from was was happening before he got himself in too deep.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  5. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

MT is a musician's musician. The Stones are just rock 'n' rollers. Big difference.

Comet01, bpmd1962, Hammerpeg and 2 others like this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Whatever that means, I'd choose the rock 'n rollers any day.

7. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

The Stones clearly liked and respected Mick Taylor well enough to make sure he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of the group, despite his relatively brief tenure. By contrast, The Beach Boys didn't stand up to insist Bruce Johnston be included, even though he performed live and recorded with them on some of their most important records (California Girls or Pet Sounds anyone?), and tours with the surviving band to this day.

8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I recall a 70s interview about a year after Black and Blue

Mick Taylor said that they were snorting so much cocaine that the septum in his nose was getting dangerously thin.

Time didn't wait for a writing credit and the scene made it Time to leave.

9. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on MT's financial settlement with the R Stones? Are there ongoing payments? Is there any kind of nondisclosure agreement? Is it bad form to ask?

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Who the hell cares? He asked for, and got, more royalties for his work released after he left the band. He came back to work with them in 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014. He is all over Keith's deluxe Talk Is Cheap reissue. They must be on somewhat pleasant terms for any of that to have come to pass

Fullbug likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nevertheless, the job was Beck's if he wanted it. The Stones flew him in for rehearsals. He jammed with the band for a bit, even laid down some guitar work on tape. Beck informed Ian Stewart that there had been a mistake and headed back to England. This was a period where Beck was pursuing fusion projects; joining The Rolling Stones seemed like a step back from where he was headed. Clearly other concerns must have been there as well, but he knew it was not the right fit. We'll never know how The Rolling Stones would have evolved with Beck in the line-up, but I can't imagine it would have been better than the music he ultimately made under his own name.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

13. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

Here’s a better question- when did the Stones start to get sick of Mick Taylor?

The Beave likes this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Pharmaceutical use was an issue, was it not?

15. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Mick Taylor was the best guitarist, the Stones ever had.

17. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I would say 72. Robert Greenfield's books suggest that if he wasn't already semi detached during the recording of Exile then he was definitely on the periphery (at least off stage) by the 72 tour.

Easy to see how he made it to the end of 74 though. Whatever the psychological pressures and frustrations just 150 shows in six years wasn't going to be the kind of workload that was going to accelerate his departure from the "Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World". They might have spent more days in the studio than on the road in that era and I assume the money must have been ok even when they were waiting around.

Why did it end? Again referring to the Greenfield books it was clearly not a good environment for someone who wanted to acknowledge and deal with a drug problem. Sounds like almost the entire entourage were committed to keeping up with Keith. I assume that what kept him going was the hope (possibly even the promise) that with Jagger and Richards going through one of their difficult periods that he might have been allowed to step up as Mich's co-writer. Straw. Camel. etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What happened then?

19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

They didn’t push for Taylor, he was selected by the Hall. It was Stu that the band pushed for.

Comet01, Jack Lord and audiotom like this.
  20. All Down The Line

I really like your final sentence!

21. All Down The Line

I have definitely heard that he thought of joining Free.
    Can't recall if one source was Rose Taylor?

22. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Was Taylor still in the Bluesbreakers when Andy Fraser enjoyed his brief stint with Mayall?

23. All Down The Line

Why, a good player is usually a name of some renown and Jagger and Richards are not going to easily be overshadowed nor be overly fearful of Ron (or most anyone) and his recent chart popularity.
    The Glimmer Twins were/are supremely confident pro's and anyone joining and playing with the Stones has to do it in their terms.

Dean R and The Beave like this.
  24. All Down The Line

The bootleggers and fans did, Keith sent a brief telegram which could be interpreted different ways.
    Taylor actually cried when he read it.

25. All Down The Line

& Clapton early on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.