When did musicians start "dropping" new albums/singles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cue the obvious jokes, however I was wondering, how long has this expression been going for?

These days whenever I watch the "pop music" news it's always about how 'so-and-so' (typically a hip new act named DJ32Xybaby or whatever) has just "dropped a new single".

Is this turn of phrase is quite new or have there been people "dropping a new album" for decades now?

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I always thought it was kind of strange that so many people here use that phrase, just do a search in the thread titles, it's all over the place. Seems like such an "industry" expression to me, but I guess it's just part of music talk now. No idea how long it's been going on, and probably not something I would ever say, but ya never know.

3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I first heard it back in the 1990s when rap and hip hop artists talked about upcoming new releases.

Wounded Land and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Yup. That's pretty much a Hip-Hop thing saying that crossed over to the mainstream world. Nowadays every Pop artist is "dropping" new singles, albums, etc.

Aurora, 905 and Sean like this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I miss the days when they would break you off something new.

6. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

If you dropped a new single back in the 60's or 70's it probably would have broke. ;)

7. Harvest Your Thoughts

I just did a search too after your suggestion... I'm surprised at how many people use it on this forum. I can't imagine saying it. It's just too confusing.

I would always expect the response to be: "Is it ok?" or "Be more careful next time" etc etc

8. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I try to stay clear of most droppings.

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was careful never to drop acid because someone might trip on it.

kanno1ae, Rhett and Ayshpaysh like this.
  10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

As someone who works as an editor for a living (and who pays close attention to what words mean and the way they are used), the term kind of annoys me. I think it'd be an accurate term for an unexpected, surprise release, like David Bowie's last album, because drop implies a kind of suddenness. The definition of the verb drop according to Merriam Webster is "to fall unexpectedly or suddenly." So for an artist to release something suddenly and unexpectedly, the term works.

But as a word used more generally in place of "release," it doesn't work for me. I mean, I realize it's just trendy slang, and slang by its nature is informal and loose, but it still sounds inaccurate and kind of silly to me.

Comet01 and Alex D. like this.
  11. Harvest Your Thoughts

...especially when these supposed "dropped" albums are backed by months (or years) of production and marketing preparation with the combined efforts of dozens of people.

If it were a magnificent solo (or small group) effort, which could come across as a surprise, it would actually be pretty cool and appropriate. However as you say, it's inaccurate and silly.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  12. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

These days a double -A side single would be "dropping a deuce."

Comet01 likes this.
  13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

When you release something it drops, right? Gravity?

Or something...

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Another phrase stolen from the African American community, 90s.

15. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

I remember first encountering the term in the late ICE magazine but not sure how far back that was. I always thought there were certain, shall we say, scatological connotations within the term which did not reflect well on the upcoming release.

I guess that's the one of the obvious jokes the OP referred to.

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Drop it like it's hot!

17. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

2001. Macy Gray wore a stupid dress to some awards show with "My new album drops on..." sewn onto the front is shiny letters. Dumb.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Not quite as over-used as tours "kicking off." Does music have to use sports references?

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I remember that!

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Aging white males discussing the merits of hip-hop slang from the 90s is so SHF.

MGAinDTLA, ARK and rwil like this.
  21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

There is a DJ on my favorite local NPR station that manages to work in drop/dropping/dropped about 25 times every weekly radio show he does; it's extremely annoying.

MGAinDTLA likes this.
  22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

These days it probably means something uploaded to Facebook, iTunes or youtube. Could also mean a CD distributed to radio stations for airplay, but rarely it means release of any type of EP, LP, 7-inch, 45, etcetera, which is what it meant in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.