When Did Paul Become "Macca"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I feel the only time you should use nicknames is if you know the person on a personal level. I find it weird otherwise.

pantofis and vamborules like this.
  2. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Ditto for me - I've used Macca for decades and ain't about to stop now! Not quite sure why it causes problems for so many.

Fwiw, agreed as well on the "Sir Paul" bit - I can't really bring myself to refer to musicians of that generation as "Sir". I remember someone on here referred to him as "Sir Paul McCartney MBE", which was taking Beatle deference to a whole new level (as well as it being - I would imagine - nominally incorrect as the Sir obviously renders the MBE part completely irrelevant). As I think of it, the only British people I actually do refer to by their titles (aside from members of the royal family, who, thankfullly, rarely come up in conversation) are Dame Maggie Smith and Dame Diana Rigg, and that's only because they both just radiate "dameness"! :)

3. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah, but if we had our own Waitrose ...!

theMess likes this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

In the US, we don't call Paul McCartney "Macca", we don't call cookies "biscuits", and the last letter of the alphabet is pronounced "zee".

Carry on.

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Dutch TV '64 John introduces himself as "John Leper" and no one notices.

Lost In The Flood and theMess like this.
  7. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Since people realised how tricky it is to spell his surname.

The use of the appellation Macca has greatly increased since the internet became a form if written communication for the masses.

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've always wondered this myself - I assume that it was the same individual who started calling
    Madonna, uh, `Madge'(!).

9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

McCartney was ok with being called Macca or Mac.
    Remember the Mac and Jack wonder potion?

theMess likes this.
  10. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

The latter 2 are ancient throwbacks to when New York was New Amsterdam and the primary settlement in Nth America. Cookies is from the Dutch koekje (little cake), which ironically enough is a diminutive (like Macca for McCartney) of koek (cake) and Zee is dutch pronunciation of the letter Z.

English is a dynamic language and has changed quite a bit in the rest of the English speaking world in the last 400 years. :)

11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Way bacca.

Keith V and Rojo like this.
  12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Saw that on the Echo site recently, it's bad.
    Just to rub it in I have three within fifteen minutes walk.

theMess likes this.
  13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Oh, WHAT?! Talk about a North/South/North divide.

theMess and royzak2000 like this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is funny, because the town I am from (Tunbridge Wells) is seen as very snobby/posh, and yet the local people are complaining because we don't have our own Waitrose. There was an almost communal outburst of anger recently when a large local store closed down, and then was replaced with a Primark instead of a Waitrose. :D

royzak2000 and Lost In The Flood like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Even more annoying (!) Formby (the town with the Waitrose) has a population of up to 25,000. The City of Liverpool, not including all the outer suburbs and boroughs, has a population of about 470,000, or around 20 times more. Then again, I once heard a woman in Waitrose (in Formby) loudly complaining to some children "this isn't ASDA, you know!"

therunner and theMess like this.
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I have always hated "Macca". It sounds stupid and I won't do it.

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

In all seriousness, it is a disgrace that Liverpool gets treated like it does and a major insult that a large supermarket chain just ignores it. I have never been to a more openly friendly city and no city has given the world so much good pop music IMO. What most surprised me about Liverpool was the huge amount of beautiful Georgian houses that it has, apparently more than Bath and London. Some are in desperate need of re-development, but they are still incredible buildings.

18. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

...and squirrels...

theMess and nikh33 like this.
  19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

We have a lot of Georgian buildings. From my window, my whole street is Georgian buildings (but my building is from 2003!) Whenever you see a Sherlock Holmes movie or TV show, it will have been filmed in Liverpool.

theMess likes this.
  20. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

When we talk I always call him Dude or Your Dudeness! He just laughs and acts like I'm not there or gives me the old thumbs up (and acts like I'm not there).

21. clayton

clayton Senior Member

OH Boy!

Keith V likes this.
  22. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

CHEWMACCA........................playing mull of kintyre ..or yesterday ..I donĀ“t know for sure..

[​IMG]

ARK and Lost In The Flood like this.
  23. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

That's because children are banned from Waitrose in Formby ;) ...in fact the Parish council are trying to ban children from the whole town...at least it would make the schools less rowdy...

sallymae_hogsby and nikh33 like this.
  24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I never referred to Macca as Sir Paul, and probably never will.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

He became Macca when he stuck a feather in his cap... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.