When did Sting "lose it", in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 18, 2018.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Do you mean his hair? No idea, but maybe it was due to Tantric Sex.

As far as Music, 'Mercury Falling' is dull and think that is when the Term 'Stung' was created to label Music Artists, who became 'Lame' as a tribute to Sting. To be fair, 'Brand New Day' has a few decent Songs on it. Then he went on to play the Lute on a few Albums and also do a Musical about a Shipping Town(his Home Town?)? Maybe, 'Mercury Falling' would even look better now by comparison than those Albums.

Even the One Song(I forget the Title but assume was the a Single Release) from his last Solo Album that was suppose to be a return to his 'Rock' Sound, seemed boring to me. Saw him play it on Jools Holland, and never bothered to check out the Album(maybe will stream it eventually).

squittolo likes this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I don't consider myself a big post-Police Sting fan by any means, but I recently came to absolutely love "The Soul Cages". It's a beautifully crafted album.

3. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

He never lost it. His music changed some good some not so good. Talented artists don't lose it. When they reach a peak as the Police did with their great 5 albums, its tough to duplicate that. In his solo career he's performing completely different music with different band members. He's obviously mellowed with age as we all do and I'm sure his success has taken the edge off. He certainly doesn't need the money or the recognition at this point so he does whatever suits him. I like most of his solo material and some I haven't even bought. My favorite album is Ten Summoner's Tales and I also like The Soul Cages. I often use a comparison to Weller. To me he's never come close to the music he made with The Jam. Much like Sting I think he has a large ego that made him believe his solo career was going to be somehow better than The Jam. Not close. Again some of it I like some I didn't buy. He never lost it just couldn't match it. That doesn't make you bad.

4. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I remember thinking he jumped the shark in the video to "We'll Be Together Tonight," where he had longer hair, glasses, and a ridiculously large sweater.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He lost it for me at Sacred Love which is a horrific album. Everything after that I have no interest in. His wind chime album or whatever and other bad ideas he decided to release. No thanks. Seeing the Police reunion tour was a highlight but that has been it for the past 15 years.

6. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It seems absurd that the OP can't be bothered to listen to the artist's full catalog when trying to measure an entire career. If I were to mention that I liked all of 57th & 9th and most of the collaborative record with Shaggy, the OP would have no ability to agree or disagree with my assessment. Considering I've found things to like in his most recent releases, I'd say he hasn't lost it.

8. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Dream Of The Blue Turtles and then where does a guy like Sting truly go? Couple that with what seemed like a "next move" run straight to the contemporary/easy listening side of the industry and you get Sting on simmer to lukewarm at best for sure.

klockwerk and stax o' wax like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

My BS Opinion, He lost it when he began to take himself too seriously.

So respectable sang The Stones.

10. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Well, for me The Police is untouchable. One of my favorite bands with an impeccable catalog.
    Once Sting leaves The Police, I followed his career with interest until "Ten Summoner Tales." It seems to me that his first four albums are quite solid (The Dream Of The Blue Turtles is one of my favorite albums) I was clear that as a musician he had evolved and his music too. But with "Mercury Falling "... I sincerely lost interest in what he was doing. With "Brand New Day" I gave myself a new chance with what Sting was doing but from there I could not pass. It just bores me what he does.

11. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I think The Soul Cages is great (and vastly prefer it to his earlier solo work), so it must be after that.

GraemeD, Dodoz, Tokyo Ghost and 5 others like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Somewhere in the middle of side two of SYNCHRONICITY, where he rhymed "apprentice" with "Charybdis."

13. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

nobody even likes Nothing Like The Sun ?? i thought it was a great album at the time and still holds up pretty well.
    to answer the OQ, Ten Summoner's Tale was his solo peak and...it went downhill after that rather quickly :cry:

gkella, stevef, MikeManaic61 and 7 others like this.
  14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Not sure if he ever lost it but he lost me after The Police.

15. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Still had "it" as of 2009...

Karnak and Max Florian like this.
  16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Every album through Brand New Day had some good tunes. Sacred Love is the one where he really lost his creative mind. The Last Ship was okay.

Squad 701 likes this.
  17. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I'm reluctant to say Sting "lost it." He changed when he went solo, and his style of world-music-adult-contemporary jazz (or whatever it is) is not to my liking.

But I nearly drove my ex to madness by obsessively playing the kind of lite jazz I do like, Michael Franks. So, to each his own. Some have "Fields of Gold," others have "Rainy Night in Tokyo."

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I couldn't disagree more. Paul Weller has always challenged himself and taken chances with his career, from his bold break from the Jam to the Style Council on up through his diverse, adventurous solo career. He's remained far more prolific and critically acclaimed than Sting since the 90s--in the last decade in particular, PW has absolutely dwarfed Sting's modest efforts. Weller didn't enjoy the same level of international success as Sting, but he's stayed hungrier creatively.

I kinda like the early part of Sting's career--the first two albums, plus Bring On The Night--but he got too adult contemporary and tame for my tastes. I still love The Police and he was a big part of that, of course, but Sting's solo albums don't hold a candle their stuff in my book.

Solace, LennyC., PSR and 7 others like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

When I was a teenager, I read all the Rock magazines I could get my hands on, so I can't remember which one said it, but it was probably Trouser Press: "Sting issues summer reading list for his next album."

Solace, ARK, MongrelPiano and 3 others like this.
  20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

He lost his stinger right after the Police. His solo career started out limp and only got softer as time when on. Tantric my ass!

Fullbug likes this.
  22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Not a fan as such, but I have always respected him as an artist. Artists doesn’t ‘lose it’, they just gets attracted by different waves. I hear a change of game from The Police to Dream Of The Blue Turtles. After Police, he went on to explore different soundscapes. I respect that. Would be all too boring if he just continued making second-rate Police-like material.

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I don't know about Sing "losing it", but I "lost Sting" after Zenyatta Mondatta.

I can't pretend to have been a great fan, but after that album I was increasingly overwhelmed by Sting's ego, and certainly his solo work has had an overall blandness for me.

dormouse and 2trackmind like this.
  24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

He lost me when the record company told him he'd be fine without those other two guys.

25. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

After Nothing Like The Sun.
    Fragile and They Dance Alone are both masterpieces from that album.
    Nothing he has recorded since IMO has come close to either The Police material or some of the stuff on his first 2 solo albums.
    I wish he would have quit years ago, he is ruining his legacy for me with his recent material.