When did Sting "lose it", in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nope, the JTS website ended and it ended. It is also not acceptable for Americans to post that they "quite like" something.

Marc Perman likes this.
  2. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

I didn't like Brand New Day - the best bit was Stevie Wonder's harmonica on the title track. I like his solo career before that.

3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The sad thing is that there are some great, great songs buried under the production on Sacred Love. There was a DVD released around the same time as the album and it contained sort of a companion version of the entire album, IIRC. This version was far more stripped down and soulful than the album proper. I have an audio rip of it that I play most of the time instead of the SL album.

Stingfan80 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

he didn't lose it ! he probably could do a police type album if he really wanted too! but he wants to do different things and people just have to respect that. btw I only like a couple of his solo songs!

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  5. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Sting definitely lost it when I put a philly cheese steak in front of him and told him to eat it. He is more into the macrobiotic scene. He got real mad.

Nah, I wouldn't say Sting "lost it" just because his records stopped being my cup of tea. I saw him on the tour with Peter Gabriel a couple of years back; at least as a performer, Sting has still got it, he was great.

Aardvark23 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

"Dream of the Blue Turtles" was the last thing by him that I found listenable.

7. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The Soul Cages was his peak, in my view. A flawless masterpiece of both music and poetry from start to finish. If I were a modern English literature professor, I'd teach those lyrics. Incredible.

I was disappointed with Ten Summoner's Tales with the exception of a few tracks that carried over the sound and feel of the material from The Soul Cages ("Something The Boy Said", "If I Ever Lose My Faith"). It's still a good album, just not the incredible achievement that its predecessor was. Too many self-consciously "witty" and thus lesser tracks.

Half of Mercury Falling was a big improvement (especially "The Hounds of Winter", "I Hung My Head", and "I Was Brought To My Senses", although the single version is much preferred on the latter), the other half seemed uninspired.

Brand New Day was a very nice comeback, particularly the title track, "A Thousand Years", and "Fill Her Up" (inspired by my favorite Hopper painting).

Sacred Love was probably the one that pushed me off of Sting for a long time. Some great songs ("Inside", "Dead Man's Rope", "This War") buried under terrible production choices.

Stingfan80, Dog Ear and vertigone like this.
  8. Mercury Falling was a step back but still had several good songs on it. For me Brand New Day was his first truly bad album, seeing him live on the tour that followed was the final nail in the coffin for me. I never came back, except for the Police reunion.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m just like you. I haven’t heard anything new that he’s done in the last 20 years so I’ll say he lost it 20 years ago.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I own a few Police records, and one solo; All This Time. Its a favorite for a variety of reasons. One of them is Christian McBride, very smart of Sting the bassist to hire one of the greatest bass players of this generation. The whole band is killa. The other reason is that it's a live recording done on 9/11/2001. The DVD shows how he had a band meeting to discuss how the band felt and to a man they all said the show must/will go on. And of course, the events of the day gave the music deeper meaning. I dont know of any other records that were made on that day, but this one will always be a special listen for me.

11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Yo quote a good buddy of mine shortly after he saw the Police reunion tour:

“Sting has spent too much time on the yoga mat”...,lol

It fits

For me, the Police had some great tracks. Each album would have 2-3 good songs, 1-2 decent songs and then 4-5 tunes you wouldn’t wanna be caught listening to..

To me, Stings solo albums have contained too much of the latter

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

One I've grown fond that you didn't list, "All This Time".
    Older songs yes, but a fresh take on them that I enjoy.

Lately he seems to be a man searching for something.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I could never take someone who 'trades' under such a silly nick-name seriously.

I like .... Blue Turtles because of the great band he has backing him on it, but I have never cared for his solo career. Some of the other solo stuff I've heard (my Mum had Ten Summoner's Tales) is pleasant but forgettable. Frankly, I've always found his success a bit baffling....

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

ausgraeme and LivingForever like this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Damn, how will I impress the girls in class if I don't know what's cool? :p

There's nothing wrong with “jump the shark” as an expression, but I'm not sure that Sting ever jumped. As far as I know he's still an intelligent & creative artist (I quite liked his Dowland album a few years back and The Last Ship was a laudable idea) but I just tuned out.

To a certain extent he's like Mark Knopfler: there's a time when what he chose to do was very popular and a time when what he chose to do was away from the mainstream but I only know his popular stuff so can't really complain about his career direction,

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  16. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

When he got greedy.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think that is a Great Song that might be his Best Song from his entire Solo Career. Maybe, 'They Dance Alone' is equally as Great.

18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

For the original poster, can you elaborate on why this would be the case:

I can understand not liking his music, certainly. However, what has he done that could possibly warrant this sort of enmity? He's done a lot of great work as a social activist, he seems like a pleasant person.... not really getting why British people would find him particularly objectionable.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  19. Panther

Panther Forum Resident Thread Starter

My experience in reading or encountering Brits' thoughts on the subject (I'm not British) is that most of them loathe Sting.

Maybe some Britons can clarify...

20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sting IMO needs the other two guys to be cool, regardless of his amazing talent..

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Would Shaggy be one of those 2 Guys?

mikedifr0923 and LivingForever like this.
  22. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Why should somebody spend the money listing to everything then they think the artist has lost it?

siveld likes this.
  23. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

When the Police split is my guess . Dream of the Blue Turtles was decent to Ok , more of a swansong in my mind .
    The rest has been as dull as dishwater .

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

"All This Time" was the last song of his I really liked.

25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think your entitlement to self-righteousness jumped the shark a few posts back...

SirMarc and Max Florian like this.