When did Sting "lose it", in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 18, 2018.

1. I think Ten Summoner's Tales is such a brilliant record that there was nowhere for Sting to go from there but to fall off. Not that I find his later work bad- it just hasn't hit the same consistent peak.

10 Tales
    isn't just a concept record, it's a multidimensional meta-concept record. Musically, everything from Ferrante & Teicher and Ennio Morricone to Jaco-era Joni Mitchell and early 70s Stevie Wonder is in there. There are so many literary inside references and thematic allusions in the lyrics that I can't imagine how he managed it all.
    It's a tour de force.

Whoo, that is some man-crush groupie business, right there. I hope no one is reading.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is a remarkable record. And yes its lyrics are incredible (as were The Soul Cages's -- "All This Time" probably has the best lyrics of any top-10 song ever -- but it's rather dour in tone), as are its fresh and vibrant melodies. It's worth the price of purchase just for "It's Probably Me", which is musical heaven.

I prefer the musical aesthetic of The Dream of the Blue Turtles (despite a few cringeworthy moments) and Nothing Like the Sun, but there's no denying that Ten Summoner's Tales is the best collection of songs Sting has ever assembled, including the Police years.

ashlee5, Jarleboy and Panama Hotel like this.
  3. Blue Turtles is a heavy record, too. I like Branford Marsalis' playing on that. He serves the music impeccably, commenting on the lyrics. And Branford rocks right out on the revamped uptempo arrangement of "Shadows In The Rain." Best to play that one out on the freeway, where there's no risk of encountering a stoplight.

"(despite a few cringeworthy moments)" Aw, come on, "Russians" isn't that awkwardly constructed. "Love Is The Seventh Wave" is lightweight, but kinda catchy. The stark and scary "Childrens Crusade" has more than enough depth and darkness to redeem the inclusion of both of those tunes.

ausgraeme and Jarleboy like this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

As I said upthread, I'd say The Soul Cages surpasses it by some distance. "When the Angels Fall" is so good that I can't find words to adequately describe it - a perfect marriage of lyrics and music. I think what elevates TSC is that it is so personal - a nearly middle-aged man coming to terms with the loss of his estranged father. It's something many of us go through, of course, but the imagery, the complicated emotions, the coming to terms with his religious heritage...it's just such powerful stuff, and written with a precision and grandeur that is nearly unparalleled in the field of rock/pop music.

I can't help but find TST somewhat shallow and superficial in comparison, at least lyrically. It's much harder to locate the person of Gordon Sumner inside those songs; they seem more like exercises in writing than products of personal inspiration. The music is certainly more eclectic on TST than TSC, but I miss the somber, chilly mood that the latter album places me in when I put on TST. It's there in a few places (and those are my favorites) but the rest of TST seems too jaunty and even jocular or winking. Those are not the things I personally want from Sting, nor do I think it is where his strengths lie as a writer or singer.

Obviously personal tastes will differ, but I would certainly be one to deny your statement quoted above. ;)

LivingForever and Jarleboy like this.
  5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

My opinion as well - Blue Turtles and Nothing are great albums and Bring on the Night makes for a fantastic live album in my book. After that - not so much.

6. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Exactly right! It's like he instantly forgot who he is and became bourgeois MOR musician.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Panther

Before the Police, he spent years in jazz and fusion bands. So, you could say in The Police he forgot who he was!

I quite like his raw recordings with Last Exit in Newcastle (germs of some Police songs are therein):

8. Panther

Yeah, I get what you're saying. And generally I prefer 'serious' Sting to whimsical Sting. But for me, there's an enormous difference between Ten Summoner's Tales and everything whimsical that came after it. Ten Summoner's Tales has gravitas -- some uptempo tunes, some jazz textures, and sometimes entertaining but also quite serious and literate lyrics.

The Soul Cages is great, but it can be a ponderous listen. A tune like "When the Angels Fall" is a lovely piece of music, but it completely lacks style. Though the songwriting is very good, I do think The Soul Cages is the one Sting record of his 'great' period that could be said to sound like Phil Collins.

Max Florian and Jarleboy like this.
  9. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I am not against jazzy Sting at all! But his solo work is very safe, middle-class friendly jazz ventures. He lost his edge.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Pretty much the same exact take I have on Sting's Solo Career, and with The Police.

danielbravo likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur as it is impressive the quality of music being put out by Paul Weller(and Nick Cave and Morrissey in their recent years, one exception for Morrissey is 'Year of Refusal' I thought was weak overall). Paul Weller has kept me interested with his recent music.

danielbravo likes this.
  12. Why do you find the title preposterous?

Max Florian and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I like Sting's solo career a lot--especially through Brand New Day. One great record after another. I prefer them as overall albums to the Police records, all of which I find uneven (but with amazing highlights). He spent a lot of the 2000s working on projects I don't like much (Sacred Love, the lute album) but I liked The Last Ship and the last couple of records a lot.

I never thought his music was MOR at all. It's well-written, creative and interesting. Mature and lacking in rock 'n roll rebellion, but those aren't bad things. It's just different from the Police and many never forgave him.

ARK, The Quiet One, fab4ever and 12 others like this.
  14. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

And some of us don't. Personally I have next to no opinion on Mr Sumner one way or the other - I liked a couple of Police singles, but am not bothered by any of his solo output I've heard; not terrifically impressed with his acting; don't pay any attention to what he does with the rest of his life.

There is a school of "thought" in this part of the world (North East England) which doesn't like "uppity Geordies" or folk who are deemed to have got too big for their boots or up themselves and the like: Sting is often seen to fall into that category. This sort of "thinking" is mostly bollocks.

15. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

He was clearly referring to Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart.

16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, after this album is where he lost it.

Holy Diver likes this.
  17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

THIS! Same experience, although I believe I bought the cassette dirt cheap from the BMG record club because I was already becoming so disenchanted with his solo work. It was a hard breakup for me since I was such a Sting and The Police fanboy as a kid. They were my first big musical obsession as I started to come of age.

dan c

modela and HeyBullfrog like this.
  18. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

For me, I think he lost it about halfway through Regatta de blanc. I love Outlandos d'Amour and some of the second Police album. After that I only liked a song here and there. Of course, I realize I am almost assuredly in the minority opinion.

19. [​IMG] + the Brand New Day Single is all The Sting I need. A good 10 year run -nothing to sneeze at, is it?

Crimson jon likes this.
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Not this North American.

21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Ditto - in particular on Bring On The Night. Great album. This is why he went solo but he did not follow through IMHO.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yes! My sentiments! On BOTN, you can feel everyone has a freakin' good time because they can play the music they love. The esprit one can find on those live cuts like Low Life, We Work the Black Seam or Tea in the Sahara went lost a few years later only to never come back...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I don´t think he ever "lost it". You may not like all his songs, but there are good songs on all his releases, as far as I see it. I don´t have all of his solo albums, but the only one I never play is "SACRED LOVE". Too boring for me.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

For me, when he left Police. His music solo is fairly bland, and it's gotten more bland and he's gone along (based on the little of it I bother to even sample, admittedly). I bought his first couple so albums, I've no idea why.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love everything by The Police and I like The Dream of the Blue Turtles, but that's it. To be honest, I suspect I like the latter because it reminds me of my childhood. But I like it anyway.

Edit: while I was writing this post, I could feel the smell of the sleeve of the Blue Turtles LP we had at home, I swear!