When did The Simpsons jump the shark for you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beatlesfan9091, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Well put, I can agree more or less with this. My main problem with new episodes (other than classic writers being long gone) is picking trendy topics to be the focal of an episode. I guess they are just out of ideas so they look to social media for them. I still watch an episode here and there but I'd rather watch an old episode I've seen a dozen times (or more) than watch the new ones.

hi_watt, JediJones and intv7 like this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I concur!

3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

THIS. And when you consider how disinterested I am, and have been, in most current pop culture over the past 15-20 years, it's no wonder these episodes do not speak to me in any way, shape or form.

jazon likes this.
  4. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

When I lost my job at a nuclear power plant. I could no longer relate to it.

5. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Rewatched season 10 and it's better than I remember after you get by the first couple of episodes.

6. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I stuck with it through the movie, which I didn't care for. I've maybe watched 10 episodes since. Quality dropped off after Season 8, and the last few before the movie were mostly dire.

JediJones likes this.
  7. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

I've always felt seasons 13,14 & 16 were really good. After watching 10, I jumped to 13. I usually always watch them in order or reverse order. Jumping to 13 the show felt consistent with the earlier seasons; good. But for the first time I questioned why I've always thought 13 was really good. I didn't see that this time. 14 & 16 are still really good. I used to think 15 was also good but realized it got carried along being between 14 & 16. All this is to say 13, 14 & 16 don't have an episode(s) that made me cringe. Watching 19 now. It's also pretty good. The lesser to just ok ones (on dvd) for me are 11, 12, 15, 17, 18 & 20. 1 - 10 is all good with a few clunkers.

8. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Season 9 or 10 is where the show became more goofy and inconsistent, and Homer became more of a jerk. Trash of the Titans is prime jerk ass Homer even though it's very funny. But I find myself watching more later episodes on Disney Plus because I've watched the first 9 seasons so much already on DVD.

JediJones likes this.
  9. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

I think that's what I've picked up on with seasons 13, 14, 16 and so far 19; there is not a lot of jerk ass Homer which makes it more enjoyable.

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

So, I've now watched through seasons 9 and 10 and have to change all this. The show certainly becomes a bit different in season 9, but it was still funny and oftentimes heartfelt. I actually ended up watching seasons 1-5, then jumping back into season 9, and the quality difference was very subtle. I have no real qualms including it as a lesser end to the Golden Era. I didn't mind some of the early episodes as much after I finished the season and rewatched them to see what my issues were.

Season 10 is closer to The Simpsons I remember watching as a kid, with Homer always getting into a new job or hobby. The Scully era was definitely part of the syndication package by 2002/3. That said, I still found every episode funny and enjoyable enough. The finale was the only episode that rubbed me the way most of season 10 seems to rub some fans (going off of IMDb reviews, NoHomers, and YouTube vids and comments).

Now, I just watched "Beyond the Blunderdome," premiere to season 11. ...Yeah, that's The Simpsons I grew up with, for sure. No real focus on Homer working at a power plant, the family always going somewhere random, heavy focus on Homer, gaggy scripts with little plot. I couldn't tell you any episode or joke I remember from back then (unlike King of The Hill and Malcolm in The Middle, which I watched at the same time), but I have this cloud of images and scenes to go off of and memories of how I found seasons 1-5 so ridiculously different in humor and structure to what I previously knew, once I bought those around 2007/8.
    I knew people said seasons 11 and 12 were worse than 9 and 10, but I wasn't expecting the show to drop that much so quickly. I almost want to say "If Mr. Burns and Skinner are in green, maybe don't watch," because that seems to start with this episode. I chuckled 6-7 times. Two of those chuckles were just, "Oh yeah, I've seen this clip recently." One was laughing at the voices of the movie execs when they first spoke. One chuckle was Homer getting into the Mad Max car, because I like Fury Road. I still haven't managed to watch the originals. So those are 4 chuckles that weren't even particularly deserved. After the episode, I saw reviews where people say this is one of the better episodes of the season. Ouch.

So, yeah, maybe this is where I get off the binge train. I think I'll sample some of the better liked episodes going forward. I don't really need to be reminded of The Simpsons I knew when I was little, and I have no interest slogging through any more boring episodes like that.

That said: I watched "A Serious Flanders" while in the midst of season 5, because I saw it had the highest IMDb rating since season 12 and got intrigued. That was definitely a great episode, and aside from vocal changes, I didn't feel the episode was far off from the quality of season 5. I definitely recommend it to anyone that doesn't still watch.

TAF8184 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.