When did they start putting those horrible "sticker seals" over the CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

It's nearly cut off in this scan, but a black and gold diamond on this Mobile Fidelity longbox is one example of another color combination signifying the same thing (sealed CD inside).

Attached Files:

2. Hate these things, fortunately a US only thing. They come off ok when they are new but if you have an old dried out one they are a pain to get rid of.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Many folks in their late 30s on up may also remember that the plastic wrap that entombs every retail product now was not always so super strong. You used to be able to rip it apart with your hands, or fingernail, or just pull it until it tore -- but developments in polymers seem to have evolved so that now you absolutely cannot cause the plastic wrap to break unless you have scissors. And I hate that.

4. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

I use a cotton pad soaked with lighter fluid, the residue and other stickers come off easily that way

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

:laugh:

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Universal are now using sticky tape wraps on their deluxe editions rather than those plastic cases.
    Very bad idea.

I am sure this is because people who design these things just dont care about LPs and CDS them selves, they probaly have them stacked in piles on the floor and basically dont treat the packaging or contents with care.

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep. They mostly come off clean like that if you are careful. If any glue is left on one, a few dabs at it with the removed, sticky film and it cleans-up.

As a store that used to sell CD's and DVD's, they do deter theft. It insures the customer that the product is new as well. It almost never happens in my small specialty shop, but occasionally some low-life will come in. I had one guy remove a DVD from a case (it wasn't really even for sale, it was just used to demo TV's and AV systems) and pocket just the disc. When I went and looked in the case later to play it, I noticed it was gone.
    -Bill

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I was just thinking the same thing! :thumbsup:

Sometimes I'll pull out one of my older CDs and notice the dogbone residue and get all fuzzy inside as the old memories of buying the CD way back in my early college days come back.

9. Yes, those can be a pain in the a**.

This is what I do:

Cut open the shrink-wrap at the bottom end or the side (I usually try to keep the shrink-wrap if there are any stickers on it and I slide the opened shrink wrap back on the CD to protect it from scratches/dust).

Then, "unhinge" the lower hinge from the jewel case. That way you can get to the CD by using the sticker as the "hinge" (I hope my verbal describtion makes sense). That way, it is also much easier to remove the sticker without leaving any residue.

10. Just tried it and it does work like a charm. :righton:

11. I see you beat me to it. Good to see I am not the only one doing this.

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sort of lateral thinking here, but if this practice is only common in North America, does that mean the rest of the world doesn't suffer from shop-lifters? :)

Further out of the box, now that B&M is almost extinct, and most disks are shipped from a few suppliers, shouldn't the whole frigging insanity be stopped. Having to unhinge the lower pin and flex the front of a jewel case to free it from the sticker strikes me as beyond reasonable.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

That's the way to do it, remove the front. The tape seal doesn't always come off in one piece and sometimes the thing leaves gooey residue. But that's a much easier way to remove it than to pick away at the seal on the closed, intact case.

14. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Edge seals, dogbones, holographic strips have nothing to do with shoplifting, or brick and mortar stores. Their sole purpose is to indicate if the packaging has been opened, making it non-returnable. If the seals ever prevented any shoplifting, it was just an unplanned side effect.

BTW, opened shrinkwrap was never used as evidence of opened CDs, even by the strictest return centers by the majors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.