When do you think we'll see concerts again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LPhound15, Apr 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I don't see how we gather until there's a vaccine, a reliable treatment, or discover that a much larger swath of the population than we realize has already been infected.

RSteven and chervokas like this.
  2. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

In a virtual concert, no one can see you dancing. :)

johnny q and Tim 2 like this.
  3. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Relax, man! :edthumbs:

johnny q likes this.
  5. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Those "jam" bands charge about $15 a pop. Not $49.95. I know we are all excited to spend our "stimulus" checks, but I will never spend $49.95 to watch a band rehearse.

ARK likes this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I feel sorry for young people, this is just the beginning.

As for me, I've only been going to small concerts the past few years,
    2000 seats or less, and I've been picky about that. I've already seen
    most of the bands from the 50's, 60's, and 70's that I wanted to see. :)

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have a hard time rationalizing paying anything to stream a concert, except out of a desire to compensate the musicians, when there are more hours of concerts by my favorite living and dead musicians than I could ever watch streamable for free on YT.

A real time experience is a special valuable thing if one is there in person. If streaming it, live vs Memorex is barely any difference at all unless the live event differentiates itself by providing some real time interaction between participants - like if a performer would take requests or answer audience questions between songs.

8. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Projections for deaths have gone down from 100K to 60K. I'm still holding onto hope for dear life that the Motley Crue/Def Leppard show in mid July happens. Even if there's a federal mandate to wear face coverings in public to prevent some sort of second wave.

The musicians I'm sure need not worry about that since they probably can get their own testing done and are far off from the crowd. I doubt meet and greets will happen for a good while though.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe in fall in Europe. Definitely not in summer!

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Touring involves a huge amount of risks for musicians unless everyone travels on an individual bus driven by someone in a sealed off compartment, eats sleeps and takes care of all necessary functions themselves on the bus and leaves it only long enough to perform on a glass enclosed portion of the stage.

For the last month I am going to the store once every 2 weeks and that is the only indoor place I have gone outside my home; disinfecting my purchases and personally cooking all meals for my kids and I; and have touched nobody but my girlfriend - tough to pull off on tour.

11. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I suspect the degree of social distancing we are doing now will end sometime in June but mass events will take longer to return. Assuming there is no immediate second wave, by September some things that normally take place with live audiences will start taking place without them.

Maybe that will include live musical performances that more closely resemble concerts than the videos currently being recorded in musicians' living rooms and home studios. It will definitely be attempted by the major sports leagues.

All this is mildly informed conjecture and assumes no setbacks. A vaccine will hopefully be readily available sometime in 2021.

Rfreeman likes this.
  12. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I just found this from the show I went to. Not sure how much floor seats were but...
    [​IMG]
    Apologies for sidetracking this thread.

ss nimrod, Glenn coates and Two Sheds like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think a silver lining is we could get a revived focus on making new recorded music by older acts that have become touring jukeboxes - as it will far sooner be deemed safe to gather 5 people in a recording studio than it will be to bring thousands or more together at a concert.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Tough to say. Nick Cave simply pushed his tour back to 2021. To be honest I'm not seeing concerts much earlier than October. Festival season is most likely canceled. Which is an even bigger pain for the artists who sometimes rely on their live shows for an income. This whole thing just sucks.... :buttkick:

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't see any more festival seasons.

100,000 people camping out and using porta sans for 4 days to watch music in GA fields?

That will be a story we tell our grandkids and try to convince them the images are not photoshopped.

Peter K likes this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I only dance when I'm drunk.

17. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Probably not until next year, the way things are going.

Peter K likes this.
  18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Don't see it happening for a long time, if ever again in the same way.
    Seeing Idles in October was like being in Electric Church, everything communion should be and a truly spiritual experience. That lack of physical connection from here on out causes me tremendous sadness. :(

19. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I think smaller ones will start popping up in mid to late summer. By late fall things will be back to normal.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

All of my local shows have been rescheduled till October and November. That is not saying these venue owners are sages and can predict when we will return to a state of normalcy. However, if I was hard pressed to predict, seems perhaps a feasible timeline.

21. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

For an optimistic prognosis which has some merit. (Quote taken from this thread.)

". . . the path forward . . . requires two things, a rapid test that is widely available, and an effective antiviral treatment. The rapid testing is being rolled out now.

"There's a whole raft of promising antiviral agents, many already marketed, and trials are underway for quite a few of them. Modern medicine has a long track record of finding effective antivirals for many, many pathogenic viruses. Or, the best 'antiviral' might be immune plasma. Efficacy trials don't need months of time, if there are enough enrolled subjects. Four weeks should be plenty of time to detect antiviral effects of, e.g. reduced death rate.

"Then everything becomes simple. Anyone with a fever or other suspicious symptoms gets a rapid test. If positive, they're assessed for risk of a bad outcome. The major risk factors are well-known. If they're above minimal risk, they get handed a treatment pack (or immediate infusion). They then go home for two weeks. If the agent is effective, they're back at work in two weeks and are immune.

"All of this should take no more than 1-2 months to have in place, barring further screwups. That's how long the economy should stay locked down."

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think there is a lot more involved than finding cures. An awareness shift has occurred in about 80% of the population that has moved them to a level of germophobia that formerly about 0.1% of the population had - and cramming thousands of people together for optional leisure activities is going to be a lot less appealing.

Instead of evaluating "is it worth paying $20-$200 to go to a concert rather than watching a performance on a screen?" people will be asking "is it worth risking the lives of myself and those I care most about to . . . "

For some the live experience may be worth the trade off - and there will be reduced capacity concerts with widely spaced audience members targeting those people - though they will largely feature performers who really need the money still.

I don't think movie theaters will ever be a thing again - the home experience can get close enough to that for pretty much anyone.

I think this will provide a nice boost in the long run for sellers and installers of top flight 5.1 (and more immersive) large screen home entertainment systems and VR systems.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Peter K and Somerset Scholar like this.
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

With age being a large factor in negative outcomes, it is hard to see some of the older acts like Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney ever touring again.

But there is an answer that was provided by Pink Floyd.

Early in the 70's they played live in Pompeii to an arena of ghosts. It was filmed and is one of my favourite 'live' concerts.

Let there be more of these live concerts...

Rfreeman likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My last live experience: they canceled the three large public performances of the Frozen Jr musical my two daughters were starring in as Young Anna and Young Elsa but did a single performance the night before schools shut down - for a max of two attendees per cast member well spaced out with two empty seats left between each attending group - and streamed it for others to view online.

If that is the last live performance we attend I could not have asked for anything more perfect for myself and my daughters and I will be forever grateful they found a way for that one to happen.

TeddyB and trumpet sounds like this.
  25. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Same here. I've done enough of that stuff already and I don't think it's worth the risk anymore.

Peter K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.