When 'Rolling Stone' Was Right , When 'Rolling Stone' Was Wrong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I don 't know if it's possible but if someone could dig up and post the magazine's review of Woodstock I 'd appreciate it.
    It wasn't a real review per se but kind of a humorous story. They did the same kind of thing with ' Deja Vu '.
    Cheers

2. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

3. Wildest cat from montana

Thanks for posting that my fellow Canuck.How's it going , eh?

off_2_the_side likes this.
  4. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Stephen Davis' review of Lou Reed's Berlin in Dec 1973 is a real doozy. No wonder Lou hated the press!

"Lou Reed’s Berlin is a disaster, taking the listener into a distorted and degenerate demimonde of paranoia, schizophrenia, degradation, pill-induced violence and suicide. There are certain records that are so patently offensive that one wishes to take some kind of physical vengeance on the artists that perpetrate them. Reed’s only excuse for this kind of performance (which isn’t really performed as much as spoken and shouted over Bob Ezrin’s limp production) can only be that this was his last shot at a once-promising career. Goodbye, Lou."

5. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Haha, you say THAT like it's a good thing. There is and has never been anything important about Rolling Stone magazine.

But it is entertainment and to that end, it's serves a purpose: "What is and what should never be"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Agreed. I haven't heard any other songs by him, but I've always loved People Who Died.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I liked the Final Cut at the time. Seemed like an extention of or The Wall pt 2, and i loved the Wall. But, i don't dig the Wall anymore and i got the Final Cut recently to see if i liked it and , eh, it's ok. Kind of like the Wall pt 2 but just not much there for me. Not a great record.

Rolling Stone had a point of view in the beginning. It was unified in the very beginning 'cause it was like zine, covering a small scene. As time went on they became , criticy, which is just being contrarian to the masses and thinking your farts don't smell. I can be this way too. Can't help it if your into something you just look down on stuff. Like a wine snob or my dad, a plumber looking at bad work by an amature.

Now Rolling Stone isn't even People mag. I saw Jann and his kid on Charlie Rose and he spelled out he basically now is just going for the headline really. The flash. The splash. Which is hilarious cause they panned this type of musical thing for years but now it's his goal. When they lost Ralph j Gleason and moved out of the city they lost their soul. Like Motown. But of course both just went with the times. So, nothing else could be. Just is. We are what Rolling Stone has become. It is.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The UVA story showed a lack of understanding about what journalism entails. They got it completely wrong.

Sean, DISKOJOE, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  9. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

They were right about David Bowie's Low being a five star masterpiece.

They were wrong in their initial panning of Wish You Were Here.

"The cardinal offender is David Gilmour, by most counts the most technically efficient. No championship guitarist, he nonetheless had enough intelligent ideas to maintain the group’s ultraimportant link to the bedrock demands of their mass audience. He oversteps his bounds in several places on Wish You Were Here, however, indulging in protracted solos that present him as just another competent guitarist who thinks with his fingers instead of his head."

Gilmour has always been the exact opposite of the kind of guitarist who thinks with his fingers instead of his head.

Joti Cover, audiotom and NunoBento like this.
  10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Mid 1970s
    By 77ish done

Missed the boat on too many great albums and praised mediocre “hip” bands

Read and enjoyed their Altamont article 4 years later. Then again I was a naive kid

Jumped off too far on the political bandwagon

Other mags did a better job of following music

That said
    I liked Cameron Crow and enjoy Fricke now in his classic albums documentary interviews

RS Late to the party on punk

An ad, fashion and tabloid mag now
    In fact for 30 years

Good for a 5 minute wait in the pharmacy

Wenner has been a legend in his own mind for 45 years

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not that late, they did this in August 1976 (And a revelation: The article includes the phrase "teenage lobotomy" which they probably borrowed for the song):

The Ramones Are Punks and Will Beat You Up

12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

In the 70s radio was prog heavy where I was

Michigan and windsor Canada,
    Canadians are well versed and rewarded by prog artists as well

psubliminal likes this.
  13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Interesting post on Zeppelin

It was actually Cameron Crowe who toured with the band in 73 with an extensive cover story that brought Rolling Stones approval of LZ

14. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

When i was a young person i lived in a place where Rolling Stone was the only magazine i could find that covered music. There was no MTV on Canadian airwaves, Muchmusic hadn't begun yet, my town had only 2 radio stations - country music and top 40. The big impact it had on my musical life was when they printed some list of the best records of their lifetime sometime in the mid 80's. I went to my local record store and found copies of Marquee Moon and Trout Mask Replica, solely because of this list. I found out about The Replacements, Husker Du, Jane's Addiction and R.E.M. because of Rolling Stone writing about them. I haven't bothered reading the magazine much in the last 20 years or more but I must conclude it had a positive impact on my personal listening habits.

15. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Over the years, I've developed a negative attitude towards Rolling Stone. They dismissed a lot of artists unfairly purely because they were the "wrong" genre (not rock 'n roll enough) or had the "wrong" image (not cool enough), and while I used to read RS religiously, I now feel that they were snobbish and elitist, and immensely overrated.

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Circus, Cream and Trouser Press had already hit that burgeoning scene and more in depth

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not Trouser Press-- I was a subscriber than and they were still very prog-oriented in 1976, the occasional single review or club report aside. By early 1977 they crossed over, though. Their thing wasnt punk so much as pub rock, they loved the Stiff label.

Michael Macrone, kwadguy and audiotom like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Never took it seriously, but I did enjoy it occasionally.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It is well known that for close friends of Jann Wenner the fix was in for reviews.

This was a particular problem in the 80s and 90s.

20. Wildest cat from montana

MielR likes this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Beautiful covers and a nice layout. However, I disagree with just about every syllable of content.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There's been a few editions of that book, and all have included great essays (and others, not-so-much). There's a great Lester Bangs write-up on bubblegum pop that was included in a few editions. It's a favorite of mine.

23. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Brian Hiatt's review of Springsteen's Working on A Dream album was a little over the top

Working On A Dream

5 Stars! And this quote: "To understand the romantic sweep and swaggering musical ambition that define Bruce Springsteen's first album of the Obama era, you have to go all the way back to an artifact of the Ford administration: 1975’s Born to Run."

Wow!

24. Wildest cat from montana

" Over the top"? Major league butt kissing !

MielR and HarvG like this.
  25. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

For anyone who has never read Roger Taylor's infamous response to Rolling Stone's "review" of Queen's soundcheck (appropriately written on an air-sickness bag):

"Stunned, shocked, amazed and asleep upon perusal of your "in-depth" story of Queen in South America ("Queen Holds Court in South America," RS 345). I am a member of said group and extremely f*****g proud of its music (not all) and its achievements. I don't even write to my mother, since the written word seems worth less in this day of the telephone and publications such as yours and the National Enquirer. Your peculiar 1970-time-warp attitude, coupled with an innate, congenital miscomprehension of rock & roll, continues to fascinate and annoy. Thank you, oh thank you, for the pseudopolitical slant and personal dishonesty that you continue to peddle in your outdated, opinionated, down-home rag. Thanks also for the finely tuned musical assessment of my group from our sound check! Grow up. You invented the bitterness. I pity you. You suck. You are boring and you try to infect us. Awaiting your charming review of my current album in about eight months!"
    ROGER TAYLOR
    London, England

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.