When shows get too preachy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerrika, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Are we just talking about preachy in regards to left vs. right, religion, or how to act in general?

If the latter, many children's programs have seemed to "preach" their values to the children watching their programs. Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, Barney, etc. were all guilty of that.

How dare a strange old man, puppet or purple dinosaur mascot give kids advice, while at the same time telling them to not trust strangers.

Won't you be my neighbor?
    Won't you please,
    Won't you please,
    Please won't you be my neighbor?
    Spoken: Hi television neighbor, I'm glad we're together again....

(What if some stranger in real life said or sang that to your kid? You'd call the cops.)

If kids are left unsupervised watching some of these children's programs, they might get influenced by values that are not the same values you are trying to teach your own kids.

2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

"Damn! Where's that remote?"

3. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

Even as a kid, I thought Mr. Rogers was creepy. But Judging from an abundance of evidence including those who knew him for a lifetime, he was exactly what he appeared to be, kind, strong, caring, and loyal to his wife. Which is a great lesson about making presumptions based on outward appearance.

goodiesguy, ianuaditis, Tanx and 4 others like this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.