When two albums become a 'debut' album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinnie, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member Thread Starter

All the recent talk about Capitol's treatment of the Beatles early LPs and the thread on the Stray Cats 'Built for Speed" got me thinking.
    Built For Speed, released on EMI America, a division of Capitol, was a compilation of tracks from the Cats two UK LPs.
    Another of my favorite 80's bands, Katrina and the Waves, released 2 LPs in Canada before Capitol signed them. Capitol then created a new compilation LP for their Capitol debut using tracks from each of the Canadian LPs and some re-records and sweetening (the horns on Walking on Sunshine were not on the Canadian version).

Is this a more common practice than I am aware of or just a Capitol thing?

To me it seems like a way to ensure that your 'new' band will flame out after 1 release.
    The sophomore jinx is hard enough to overcome, but when your "debut" is made up of the best tracks of 2 previous releases, your chances of replicating that quality are near impossible.

Both the Stray Cats and Katrina and the Waves, each having long careers, never matched the commercial success of those 2 'debuts'. Was the deck stacked against them by their own label?

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Ryan Adams put out Love is Hell vol1 and Love is Hell vol2, then it came out as one "Love is Hell" disc. Hate when they do that. Where's the SACD!

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

AC/DC's domestic High Voltage was compiled from selected tracks from the Aussie TNT and High Voltage LP's.

4. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

N.A. Desolation Blvd. was a comp. of the UK, Desolation Blvd. and Sweet Fanny Adams.

Brian

5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

With a non album a-side (Ballroom Blitz) thrown in.

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I'm sure it's more common with foreign acts that someone's trying to break in the U.S. Wasn't Abba's Atlantic Waterloo a mishmash of several European LPs?

P.S. Nice avatar, Vinnie! :righton:

7. vinnie

Thanks, CD.

Built for Speed came out in 1982, Katrina and the Waves in 1985: Was Capitol still worried about LPs being acceptable to an 'American market.'? BFS was rockabilly, you don't get much more American than that!

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Not exactly two LP's, but the Clash's American debut was a mish-mash of the UK album and non-album singles.

9. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

How could be forget Meet The Beatles? A combo of Please Please Me, With The Beatles and a 45.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You beat me to it! I think the same is true for the Stones' US debut, isn't it?

I guess that's why we never heard from the Beatles or the Stones again! :D

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Robbie Williams' "The Ego Has Landed" is a combination of two British albums.

12. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Didn't realize that about Ballroom Blitz. I'd just assumed that it was on one of the UK albums. I pull out my BMG EU CDs and lo and behold, no Ballroom Blitz.

Thanks, Bare Trees!

Brian

13. vinnie

Well, there are exceptions of course... ;)

I guess my point is did Capitol have a policy of letting other labels develop talent then signing them, rather than deveolping them themselves?

14. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Busted.... great little band....

First two have been combined for the States....

And their song "Air Hostess" contains my favourite all time lyric.

"I messed my pants
    When we flew over France..."
    :biglaugh:

15. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

America's first Lp came out without the hit HORSE WITH NO NAME. When the sigle took off, they put it on the Lp ASAP. I still have my lp without the track.

16. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Another later period Lp that was changed for a American release with Sir Paul BAND ON THE RUN. What track it was escapes me at the moment but they added the current single to the Lp. Damn I am getting old. I cant even rember the track name lol

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Not exactly a debut but... the US album "Sedaka's Back" was a compiliation featuring songs from three albums released in the UK only (I think)

18. vinnie

Helen Wheels was added to the US release.

19. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

And most closely resembled the TNT LP, strangely...

20. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I can think of a couple of LPs that were doubles in Europe and reduced to single LPs for issue in North America - Kevin Coyne "Marjory Razorblade" and Amon Duul II "Made in Germany". Luckily I have the doubles of both of them.

Cheers,
    Chris

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

22. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The Church's American debut was culled from Of Skins and Hearts and other tracks. Their 1984 Warners debut Remote Luxury was two Austrailian EP's put together.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

sorry.......I missed the word "debut"....ignore my first post

24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Triumph released two albums in Canada before getting a deal in the US, 1976's Triumph and 1977's Rockn'Roll Machine. In 1978, RCA signed them and released an album consisting of songs drawn from the two Canadian releases. It too was called Rockn'Roll Machine.

25. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

And I preferred the first of the two Triumph releases, no doubt. I thought they stood up better live back then as well. Blinding Light Show, just that. Well, I was just a teenager.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.