When will Sony make a Sacd player for the car

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spotlightkid, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

I have Sacd at home,when will sony produce a sacd player for the car.i am surprsed they have waited this long.

2. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

Good question. It actually took awhile for the first CD players to start appearaing in cars too.

I'd expect to see one by the end of the year.

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Man, I'd love a sacd car player.

The bummer is: one won't work in my car - BMW switched from din to a custom sized head unit! Grrrrrr.

4. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Holy Zoo-you could always get another car-i mean what is more important in your life that car or music?

5. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member

Sony has just released MP3 player - so why should they release SCAD player to the car? :p

6. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Are you sure you canĀ“t have the radio console replaced with a DIN console ?

7. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Remember DAT player/receiver for the car ? Nobody bought them ;-)

Anyway, I would rather rephrase the question to: When will someone release software that enables people to copy SACDs to ordinary audio CD-R for mobile use ?

8. Angel

Angel New Member

Re: Re: When will Sony make a Sacd player for the car

Right now. Just go "digital out" from the back of your SACD player into whatever you want. Easy enough!

9. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: When will Sony make a Sacd player for the car

:confused:

Even if that is an SPDIF output; who converts the sampling rate and resolution ? This cannot work when going into a CD recorder or DAT recorder, unless a sampling rate converter is in the SACD player.

10. Angel

Angel New Member

My Sony SCD-1 has a CD or PCM Line output on the back that comes out in PCM (Redbook CD) if you choose to play back your SACD in the "CD" mode. Perfect for making CD-R's of SACD's. Sounds great, but of course, not like an SACD. ;)

11. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Ah, so that seems to enable the sampling rate / word length conversion...
    Wonder if that feature is in the DVP-NS900 too, which I am going to buy.

12. Angel

Angel New Member

Better find out before you buy it!

13. RicP

Uh.....Unless you have the only SCD-1 in the World that does this...you are mistaken.

There is no output from the digital line during SACD playback, PCM or otherwise.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhh, of course! You have a good point: A car should be an effective, efficient "stereo on wheels" - why else would one buy a car? :)

My philosophy in a car purchase! Can an anfermarket deck fit in the dash? Proper speakers? Sub woofer? Reception? Multi CD decks? Versatility - CDs, cassettes, radio maybe 8-track?

:D

Should start a new thread under Audio Hardware: "Car Requirements" or something.

:)

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Angel meant the analog outputs of course. They work fine to make a CD-R though.

16. RicP

Ok, Steve. But in that case, why not record the analog SACD stream? Why play back in "CD" mode?

Wouldn't you get a better sonic CDR by recording the SACD analog stream?

Because he specficially said "My Sony SCD-1 has a CD or PCM Line output on the back that comes out in PCM (Redbook CD" I assumed that he meant using the digital output.

17. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Multi-channel car audio is being stimulated by Dolby Pro Logic II and thus will serve as a hardware platform upon which DVD-A and SACD can be added for a slight additional cost. At least hybred SACD disks and CD's can be played back as DPLII format sound on such units.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.