When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I thought it was "rolled up like a douchen" And would sing that very loud not having a clue as to what a "douchen" was or what one looked like rolled up.

Rocker and LivingForever like this.
  2. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

You are sooooo not alone with that one!

xdawg likes this.
  3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

That's how Al Green sings it, too.

'Shut up, Al Green!'

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I thought Chuck Berry's "My Ding A Ling" was about a bell Chuck used to carry around with him when hanging out with his friends.
    Happy new ear, hmm....I mean year.:)

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think it's kind of sweet, Jack and Eric singing to each other about the sunshine of their love.

Speaking of, I always heard the line as 'I'll give you my dull surprise' which always kind of intrigued me as a kid, in an enigmatically poetic sort of way.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I thought Oh You Pretty Things by Peter Noone was by McCartney.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Lyrics

Repeter13 and John B Good like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a few, but I forgot them..I will remember them soon as now it will bug me until I remember them.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Probably the first thing I got wrong when I heard a song on the radio was the idea whoever was singing it was doing so live, right there as I listened to it. I didn't know about recordings until I was about five, I think.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I thought Debarge sang Break My Stride, Anne Murray sang Never Be the Same, Bobby Caldwell sang Every Little Step, and Debbie Gibson sang the Stryper song Honestly. I was wrong!

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wasn't that "I'm your fetus?" :eek:

There was massive confusion among the Beatles fans I knew in the 1960s and 1970s as to who sang what when. I can remember many heated arguments, particularly on songs where the singer sang a little differently (like "Lady Madonna"), or songs where George sang lead ("Do You Want to Know a Secret"). Once the books of the 1970s and 1980s came out, we figured it out. Today, it sounds very clear; back in the 1960s, listening to 4" speakers from questionable pressings, it sounded like crap.

theMess likes this.
  12. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I thought Freddie Mercury was a straight.;)

theMess and goodiesguy like this.
  13. lloydie77

lloydie77 Forum Resident

"Money for nothin' and your checks for free..." Because there's nothing more rock and roll than free checking.

14. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

I could not understand the lyrics to CCR "Down On the Corner" until I looked them up. I still can't understand most Pearl Jam lyrics.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  15. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I thought McCartney's bass lines were on early Beatle songs were a guitar.
    Didn't know what a bass was at the time.

Thought Bowie's Golden Years was a black soul band just based on hearing it on the radio.

Imagine my surprise just a few years later when I found out how wrong I was.

theMess likes this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I thought the Becky character merely got beaten up by the Gatlin Boys in "Coward of the County". o_O

Jarleboy and Sordel like this.
  17. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

I thought Steve Miller was telling us to shoot the children that didn't have shoes on their feet. I thought there was a vicious duality, when he was saying feed the people that don't have enough to eat in the previous line.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I had "which Beatle sang what" by summer of 1964. Remember the flood of Beatle product on the radio then? I'll Cry Instead, Can't Buy Me Love, You Can't Do That, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her, A Hard Day's Night, If I Fell, I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, etc. were all singles and all played on KRLA at the same wacky time. I figured out the gruff voice was John's, the sweet voice was Paul and the really British (to me) sounding guy with the in-between voice was George. We knew what Ringo sounded like (Boys)..

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We must have been much stupider in Florida! :) I eventually figured it out by the early 1970s, when I bought all the Beatles albums over again and started listening to them a lot closer... for the first of what would be about twenty times.

20. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Yep, I could never make out that line either. Love the song!

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For a while I thought the cover of Crosby, Stills and Nash's "couch" album had Crosby, Stills and Nash sitting left to right, so I would picture Crosby whenever I heard Nash singing and vice versa. Took a while to reverse that for some reason.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I knew what those guys looked like from their old bands...

RandyP likes this.
  23. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

you do realize that we're not still kids, right?

24. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I thought John played a tear dropped shaped Rickenbacker until Something New came out. On our grainy black and white TV you could not see the horns against his dark suit.

25. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

??????