When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I always wanted to know what the Youngbloods in Get Together meant by Just one Kyanlostemboo ("Just one key unlocks them both.")

2. stillhippie

stillhippie New Member

Whether you're a bugger or whether you're a mugger, you're stayin' alive......

bmoc79, Scratcha, Jarleboy and 17 others like this.
  3. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Mind blown! Funny, watching her sing on the video and it's obvious that it's a woman. But my memory still tells me that it's a guy.

--
    Rob

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Dudes, the picture sleeve for the 45 of VENUS clearly shows it's a girl. Didn't you ever look at records in the store as a kid?

Scratcha likes this.
  5. Rob Burgess

Oh good, I'm not alone :)

--
    Rob

smarone313 likes this.
  6. Rob Burgess

I never had that one, I only heard it on the radio. In those days radio didn't have pictures :)

--
    Rob

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

in 1971, I thought "Lonely Days" by the Bee Gees was John Lennon. For a 7 year old I was inquisitive and obsessed with music. I found out soon enough! I was disappointed to find out it wasn't Lennon!

I also thought ALL rock music was 'recorded in England' like it said on Beatles album sleeves! It wasn't until I saw the inner sleeve to my brother's "Morrison Hotel" LP which contained great pics of Elektra recording studios that I realized I was wrong. That's about the time I started reading liner notes over and over so i could know these things!

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  8. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

"Money for nothing, cheques for free..."
    ..some logic there if you think about it.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I thought every Beatles song with an organ featured Billy Preston.

I also thought The Beatles got together a few times in the seventies, where they got together and recorded songs like What's The New Mary Jane.

One more: I thought Clapton was in the Yardbirds for their later hits like Over Under Sideways Down.

The Ole' Rocker and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  10. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Heard this song on the radio, then picked up this weekly music survey, and thought the Beatles were getting back together.
    ...then I bought the single and it only mentioned Ringo Starr on the label.
    The survey kept the listing for this particular song with this particular artist pairing.
    It was when the album came out that I saw that all four Beatles were somehow connected with this album.

KXOK_1973-09-29_1-sm.jpg

11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

No, no, that was this guy;

Scratcha likes this.
  13. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

I'm Down with that :D

14. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Bee Gees:

"Four Letter Woman
    Four Letter Woman to me."

Which four letter word was it???

Scratcha, Jarleboy, VQR and 5 others like this.
  15. Rob Burgess

And were they the same as Clapton's "Four Letter Man"?

--
    Rob

limoges, Scratcha, fallbreaks and 4 others like this.
  16. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I thought it was by a swamp pop band in Louisiana, maybe TK Hulin, GG Shinn, or Warren Storm.

The other one was why Creedence was singing There's the bathroom on the right. (Bad Moon Rising).

Scratcha likes this.
  17. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I thought Piano Man was a duet between Billy Joel and an unnamed woman until I went to college and someone cleared it up for me.

Dyland and LivingForever like this.
  18. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

As a kid I was always puzzled as to why ground control was calling to Majetawn in David Bowie's Space Oddity. I just assumed that was the name of the space craft, like Apollo or The Enterprise or something. It wasn't until I was in high school that a friend pointed out to me that it was Major Tom. Boy was I embarrassed. :oops:

Scratcha, VQR, Gems-A-Bems and 2 others like this.
  19. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Even though just short of 10, I heard the record many, many, many, of Any Time at All. I don't want to be a smartass, but I knew that was both of them from the start, and it made my heart do the can-can.

TonyR likes this.
  20. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

In the early 70s, I had one of those record players with the closing lid that was bought at Sears. I had a bunch of hand-me-down 45s I'd play on it. One of the 45s was the First Edition song "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town." There's the line in it, "And If I could move I'd get my gun and put 'er in the ground." I remember playing the record one time and I asked one of my older brothers why the singer wanted to put his gun in the ground. My brother laughed and explained the premise to me, and after that, the song just kind of creeped me out. I started playing the flipside "Girl, Get A Hold Of Yourself" more.

21. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

I thought that the "Annie Are You OK?" bit from MJ's Smooth Criminal - i always thought he was singing "Any Cash Or Objects?

I am sure i'm wrong about many musical things - but it's fun and humbling to have ones' preconceptions overturned.

Happy New Year Everybody!

Scratcha likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

FREE-All Right Now: let's move before they raise the F'n rate...not me, but my best friend....really,:)

Scratcha and dewey02 like this.
  23. JimC

JimC Senior Member

"Memories and Elvis are playing in the band..."

From "Lookin' Out My Back Door"

bmoc79, Scratcha and supermd like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I always knew the vocal was George with in his English tone...

25. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

A friend of mine had a large independent record store and said that someone came in and wanted the record - Rob the Cashbox by The Clash

Scratcha, Rickchick and OneStepBeyond like this.