Where (and what) constitutes the divide between early and late era Beatles for you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Up to "Beatles for Sale" is the early band. "Help" on forward is the late era band. I used to have the cutoff line between "Help" and "Rubber Soul." I'm sort of lukewarm on all of this.

2. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Not so much a matter of early or late, as what I enjoy listening to. I like everything up to Sgt. Peppers, but after that it's definitely on a track-by-track basis.

3. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I'm just the opposite. Love everything after Revolver, before Pepper I have to cherry pick.

4. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Geoff Emerick's debut in "the chair" is the dividing line between early/late Beatles. That would be April 6, 1966 and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

5. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

I'm going with Revolver.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

My default organization has always been based on sound.

I: 1962-1965 - Please Please Me through Help! - Innovative beat group, mostly sticking to the group format in the studio, with songs that could be faithfully reproduced live.

II: 1965-1967 - Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour EP - Band increasingly experimental in the studio, using non-standard instruments (sitar, clavioline, strings) and arrangement, and employing the studio itself as an instrument. Moving away from live performance as a priority for songs.

III: 1968-1970 - 'Lady Madonna' through Abbey Road - Back to basics. Band begins stripping sound back down again (with memorable exceptions, naturally), as well as fragmenting as a performing unit, even in the studio. Even the comparatively lush Abbey Road is about half 'back to basics' ('Come Together', 'Oh! Darling', 'I Want You', 'Here Comes the Sun', 'Because')

7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

When I was younger, so much younger than today it was the red/blue line.
    Now I'm much older I realise I've changed my mind and it is Paperback writer that opened up the door.

Crimson Witch and Kim Olesen like this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

Same here. And i think the red/blue albums was actually the reason i used to put the dividing line at SFF. But now it's Paperback Writer in my mind.

9. A guy named George Harrison disagreed with you when he said he felt Rubber and Revolver should have been a double album because it sounded like one big album. LOL

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I consider Help to be the start of the good stuff. :righton:

11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

kind of shows what he knew then. ;)

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

For me, the early period ends and late period begins with the release of Strawberry Fields.

Crimson Witch and altaeria like this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I guess I'm the outlier here because late Beatles to me means Let It Be. I guess I could be persuaded that the White Album is the dividing line. I don't think early and late is an instrument here or there but the difference between a foursome and four ones.

14. LOL.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

To me the "late" Beatles period starts in 1967, or December 1966 perhaps, when they began recording Pepper and did the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single. It was after the end of their live performing career, when they became basically composers and experimenters with sound in the studio. George Martin called Sgt. Pepper their "freedom album", because they could do what they wanted their way and get it released straight around the world without record company second-guessing, marketing manipulation, different tracks, and varied packaging.

I could alternatively make a case for Revolver, as they never attempted to perform that live - by that time there was a disconnect between recording and performing in terms of complexity, and their artistic vision made final tours of 1966 sort of less relevant - they seemed like a hangover of the "performing flea" years, as Lennon basically put it once (I'm paraphrasing).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Them splitting up once was enough for me. No further divisions necessary.

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

To him yes. They sure don't sound much alike to me.

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

That's not quite what he says though - right at the beginning here. And with subtitles too.

For those too lazy to click on it... ;) (only kidding, but in case some can't see the link - I know that happens) he wasn't completely sure and admitted could be wrong about it.

19. The Dunster

The Dunster Forum Resident

It all got really interesting when they released Revolver. That for me is transitional album for the band.

20. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

I'm a loser... lennon tries to get into dylan

21. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Pepper is the line for me (though others are right, SFF/PL would have been the first shot in the new war).

22. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Precisely.

23. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Early - Through Rubber Soul and We Can Work It Out single
    Late - Revolver to end

Crimson Witch and Kim Olesen like this.
  24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Paperback writer/Rain

Crimson Witch, Tim S and Johnny Reb like this.
  25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

When John stopped using his rickenbacker as his main axe in the studio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.