Where are the Police Deluxe Editions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Caruso65, Mar 4, 2022.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The 1992 Greatest Hits cd has the original Don’t Stand. You might be thinking of the 1986 Every Breath compilation.

Steve356, andrewskyDE and MrCJF like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

For me, I’d rather have “Demolition Man” instead of “Tea in the Sahara”

M1ke2345 and Nightfly68 like this.
  3. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Partly because the drums are programmed. Stewart had recently broken his collarbone, and was unable to play, so he programmed the percussion.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  4. Grassy Sound

Funnily enough, Demolition Man and Tea In The Sahara are my two favorite Police songs!

Christopher B, JeffMo and J_D__ like this.
  5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Agreed!

Nightfly68 and 1@aTime like this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I like TIS but, this greatest hits album has 5 songs from Synchronicity.

Quadboy and Grassy Sound like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interesting, I thought the original version always was on Greatest Hits? I have the 1990s digital mastered CD of that compilation...

[Edit:]
    I knew there was some confusion. lol

Steve356 likes this.
  8. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Interesting. I heard a different story. I read somewhere where Sting and Stewart never worked in the studio at the same time as they hated each other and each one would erase the others parts/tracks and replaced them with whatever they wanted. Sting having the last laugh with the program drums pretty much.

9. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

That's incorrect. Stewart broke his collarbone falling off a horse.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. Grassy Sound

Yes, there’s a fair amount of post-production in the release, Sting double-tracking his voice, primarily.

11. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca finally has pre-order prices up.

LP/DVD $41.99 CDN

CD/Blu Ray $32.99 CDN

These prices are better than Amazon.com when taking exchange into consideration.

12. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

That happened during the recording of Synchronicity. Sting and Stewart's relationship broke down so much that it was decided one would track in the morning while the other member would be out skiing, then they would switch places in the afternoon. Sting would then proceed to chop up and/or eliminate Stewarts parts and Hugh Padgham acted like the middle man taking all of the anger from the whole band and mostly sided with Sting as there was really no other choice in the matter.

13. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

All three members were photographed separately and on different days for the Synchronicity album cover.

14. Grassy Sound

They’re together on the inner sleeve photo.

longdist01 and Nightfly68 like this.
  15. Nightfly68

I know, but I'm talking about album cover.

longdist01 and Grassy Sound like this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Although DDDD, DDDD wasn't part of this film, It seems there may be problems with the Frejus footage .......... even though it seems to be owned by Miles Copeland.

Urgh! A Music War - Wikipedia

The film rights are owned by both its original producer, Miles Copeland III (founder of IRS Records), and Warner Bros. Pictures (successor-in-interest to production company Lorimar). However, the rights to distribute the film on electronic media have been, until recently, mired in contractual disputes. A popular theory was that the rights were "lost" as a result of the collapse of the failed CED or SelectaVision videodisc format – to promote the adoption of the format, RCA reportedly purchased exclusive rights to Urgh! such that it could not appear on any other media without re-negotiation. When Thomson Electronics acquired RCA, SelectaVision was a dead issue for them. Exhibition rights were retained by Copeland, and Urgh! has been shown on TV numerous times, including recent airings on VH1 and various cable-only channels.

17. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

Really interesting discussions
    I didn't know about the nemesis between Steward and Sting ... It's sad ... as I idealize this band.

I think Steward Copeland was a great musician, in another dimension than Sting the lyricist. When I listen to The Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like The Sun. Sting took great drummers with a complete different style.

I think I understand Copeland was behind the atypical and magical sound of The Police.

Anyway,

I read that some of the footages was videotaped, even if it's impossible to capture more pixels as we can on a silver film, videotape got an advantage, the frame-rate, 50 (PAL) or 60 (NTSC). And I believe videotape can be a bit smoothed.
    Old videotape still got potential.

So I hope even the videotaped live footages will be restored one day ...

How the sound on the live show were captured on Around The World ?

Chris Desjardin likes this.
  18. Blamelouis

Blamelouis Well-Known Member

Interesting…I used to have the album of that movie and it was a fantastic album.
    Also another Miles compilation album called Propaganda that had Landlord and Next to you live was brilliant as well.

longdist01 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  19. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

At this point do we even know definitively that DDDD has been cut from the film?

20. I’m not sure if we de do do do — or if anyone really de does does does, for that matter.

hollywoodswag and Nightfly68 like this.
  21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

It's been available on Warner Archives DVD for over a bit over 12 years.
    https://www.amazon.com/Urgh-Music-War-Sting/dp/B002WJHBEU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=urgh!&link_code=qs&qid=1652363315&sr=8-1

Be aware like virtually all Warner Archive DVD's it is a DVD-R and it's lossy Dolby Digital.

I have hoped Urgh! would be "promoted" to Blu-ray with Lossless but perhaps what you mentioned makes new efforts on video for the film a challenge?

GoodKitty and Quadboy like this.
  22. Nightfly68

23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

omikron and J_D__ like this.
  24. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I received an email from Amazon.ca this afternoon saying my CD/Blu Ray combo won't be here until May 30-31.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nightfly68 likes this.