Where are the Police Deluxe Editions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Caruso65, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

It must be because they all go to Switzerland and get blood transfusions taken from youngsters. :sigh:

ricks, MrJerry1876 and steveharris like this.
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Blu-ray video had a bit too much DVNR and EE for my taste but at least the closeups of human faces did look somewhat natural and not the wax face figure I was expecting.

The Sound is shockingly bad. Those who prefer dynamic sound will not get any that from this release. I kept lowering and lowering the volume. IMHO a rather brutal low ceiling-ed listen. My old VHS (that I ripped to digital back in 2004) has better sound quality.

I'm sure some, if not many, here will disagree after all those who despise Dynamics easily won the war 3 decades ago, but I know what I like and what I don't and I do not care for the audio on this release at all.

P.S. I'm not a surround fan and above applies to the Stereo 2.0 next weekend I'll give the surround a try. Surrounds "by their nature" usually have more Dynamics than 2.0's but at this juncture I feel giving it a try will be a fools errand on my part.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    ispace, DiabloG, jamesc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I haven't received my copy yet ....... but between all the missing parts that people are mentioning it seems as if they may as well just have created a new film including scenes from 'In The East' ........ which i find more enjoyable for the most part.
    The BBC know how to make music doc's work.
    Amazed 'East' wasn't included as the bonus feature as a previous Greatest Hits DVD release included the BBC 'In Montserrat'.

4. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

Has the CD audio content of Around the World appeared on any streaming services yet?

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was just listening to a club show of Chicago’79.Unnoficial on YouTube and other places.For a soundboard this has really nice sound.I love the pop hits but those punkier songs sound so energetic Live.

6. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

I have a copy of the original VHS that was put to a DVD. The total time of that is 71 minutes. The total amount of time on the version on the Bluray is 65 minutes. Difference of 6 minutes. Not that big of a deal really.

The main part that was left out was the DDDDDDDD where Sting is super mad and spits on people. You can see that on YouTube easily enough. That is about 4 and a half minutes there of it.

The other very small parts that I see cut that I noticed is:

• Sting was seeing a doctor for issues with his vocal chords. Not a big deal really.

• Miles Copeland gives the suit maker something for adding the zips in the suit. Very small.

• Jools Holland was being interviewed but some girl and he decides to start licking her bare chest in her open shirt and carry her away. Again nothing really much at all missed there.

Not sure how someone can say that the VHS sounds better than the Bluray because that is just not so from the copy done to DVD that I have. The surround does sound a bit better but either way the audio is improved over the VHS.

The video is improved immensely. Just no comparison at all. They did a superb job on it. Everything is just so clear now. Details are very well done. It is like night and day difference.

So even though the DeDoDoDo is missing and a couple of other very small parts that don’t make a big deal, you get additional 4 full live video of 4 songs that the original never had. That is something.

With the additions, better video and audio plus a CD or vinyl (whichever you chose) of a whole bunch of live songs is by far better than what was on the original.

I would highly recommend this if you liked this video from before or have never seen it. If you can get it at a good price, then grab a copy. I got mine even discounted an extra $4.03 from Amazon.ca after I received it.

7. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe there's much in the archive.

1) Truth Hits (83)
    2) De Do Do (DTS)
    3) De Do Do (Japanese)
    4) Sting's Ghost demos
    5) Every Little Thing from Strontium 90
    6) Something called Clowns Revenge was never recorded

8. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

That's unfortunate. I guess I'll stick with my DVDR that I made from my laserdisc.

9. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

The audio is not "shockingly bad." My God.

10. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

@ricks

I couldn't wait. I watched it on an old Panasonic plasma TV (a tired one, not a Pioneer Kuro ...).
    Maybe there is a lot of DVNR. But, it's 16mm, scanned in 1920/1080p, and we are watching it on big screen. Maybe it's the size of our screen.

It is true that the bass sometimes saturates the microphone. But the speakers of my TV are almost dead. So I can't take my opinion for now. I'll try again on a real system.

I read on wikipedia that the sound on 16mm was recorded on a magnetic tape beside the film, called "Ektasound" by Kodak ... Maybe it's not Sony Metal Cassette tape quality ^^
    I don't know, maybe they recorded the sound with a field recorder ...

That said ; I'm really really happy. This is a fan journey for me, a time capsule. It's the first material like this I saw about The Police. And I like so much the part in Japan. And the presentation of Walking on The Moon.

And it's only 20$/€ ...

longdist01 and JeffMo like this.
  11. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

12. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Bizarre marketing campaigns by record labels - releasing an odd, ltd edn pic disc version of GITM. Dunno what to make of it, except that I won't be fleeced and pay £38 for something with inferior sound quality!