Where are the Steely Dan SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MerlinMacuser, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Universal announced the upcoming release of the Steely Dan catalogue on SACD back in June or July or so...what the heck happened? I've been holding onto some Borders' gift cards which I wanted to use to score the collection in one fell swoop.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

We wait for not only date confirmation, but reality that we see them in our hands.

Release dates were tentative, IIRC. It may happen, it may not.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Even if does happen, I'm not too optomistic about Border's carrying them.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

2005 will bring these discs. UMG has to get 150 SACDs out (to get their coin from Sony), and you can bet that these discs will be in the 150!

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I can't wait for Steely Dan in DSD. The DVDAs from Fagan & Dan are very good.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hopefully all the early Steely Dan Discs (ie. including Aja).

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Still kinda weird to think of AJA as an "early" Steely Dan album!

Signed, an old guy... :p

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I was 7 when Aja was released, and my first experience with the album was in 1988 when my brother bought the MFSL gold CD. So, it's an early album to me. ;)

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:biglaugh: I hear Ya!!I was just going by release year, not style!!

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

So Sony gives UMG money for SACDs but Sony won't make any on their own label?

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Ya! Figure THAT one out! :confused:

12. Eric

Eric Member

I "think" Borders is carrying more SACDs, they just do a good job of hiding them. Because of the price and the size of the cases, they are often kept locked up, which usually results in less sales, as well as less theft.
    You can also see if they can be special ordered, if the person trying to order doesn't see it in Borders regular inventory, ask them to check the FFC menu, some times times items can be ordered that Borders normally does not stock.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Border's in Milpitas CA now has a small rack for DVD-Audio and SACD. They are not locked up. They had the Elton John's and Eric Clapton's last time I looked.

Their prices are not typically any good, though on the odd occasion - like with Allman Bros. Filmore - they beat the pack. I am pleased that they are slowly coming along.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Borders stores in my area have a small SACD and DVD-Audio section. The discs are not locked up. I do see a few hybrid SACDs mixed in with the CDs, however.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What I don't understand is last year, these was a big SACD push culminating with the Rolling Stone issue with the "free" SACD. Then, in 2004, aside from UMG (and the many smaller labels), the high profile SACDs seemed far and few between. Sony seemed to pass the baton to UMG.

DVD-A was basically an afterthought in 2004. In general, this was a year of zero growth for hirez. The only beacon of light for HiRez has been Universal. I wonder how they are doing with sales. If they are reaching their expected sales goals.

The retail stores are not doing much to help them, again, the on line stores are doing the job though.

16. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I mentioned in an earlier tread that the Steely Dan SACDs are back on release schedule on a few reliable European sites. They are even available for pre-order but that, of course, may not mean so much. Release date is 01/24/05 here in Sweden. The release date may be pushed forward but I think it´s a safe bet to say they will be released during 2005 in line with Universals ambitious release plans for several SACDs during next year.

A good thing is that AJA and Can´t buy a thrill is included within these "pre-orders" Don´t know if they found the master tapes or not for AJA. But it´s good to have it back among the rest of their catalogue.

17. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Try the Border's Online store (borders.com) which is linked with Amazon. I have found some there where the prices are less than in the store.

My Discover Card plan has an option where you can get $25 in various gift cards by cashing in $20 in built up rewards cash. So even when I'm spending gift card cash, I'm still getting an effective 20% discount off of list price and the original rewards $ is a cash discount off of my regular purchases like gas, groceries and so on.

I agree though that we need to let retailers know that we buy SACDs and want to see them displayed. The Stones and Dylan remasters were filed in with the redbook cds because they were hybrids. You had to know they were SACDs in advance because they weren't labled that way on the outside. The guys at Best Buy had no idea until I told them these disks were SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.