Where Are You Buying Your Records & CDs From

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Omron, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omron

Omron Forum Resident Thread Starter

During these times of lock down ?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've all but stopped. Buying them is easy, all the usual places I use are still shipping (Amazon, Ebay, Discogs, etc.) The trouble is the mail service. In other words, things are either not arriving, or are taking a VERY long time to get here.

I did buy a CD the other evening, but I'm actively putting off purchases right now because honestly, I have no confidence a whole bunch aren't going to disappear in a black hole. I'm usually getting 2 to 5 CD's a week, but no more.

Silver Surfer, Chazzbo13 and Omron like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm not. Just seems like a good time to revisit the records I've ignored over the years.

4. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Amazon, Discogs, Mail order from local shops. Shippings taking a bit longer.

5. A guy a meet on the corner at 7tth and 8th between 10 and 11 pm
    In a white van, “chocolate puppies” is the password.

6. Same here

Likewise

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

eBay mainly. Just cheap, old CDs. A lot of them are ones I got rid of years ago in my many clear-outs.

Not much new stuff around for me at the moment, but if there was I’d use Amazon.

HILO, tmtomh, GubGub and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Well, all new releases have been delayed, nothing new announced, and dare I say its when looking for the former that I tend to stumble on something older to buy....so zero.

But probably like a lot of us I have a fab collection to delve into and actual time to listen to it...silver linings and all.

I am lucky that I am still working through this though and therefore plan to put away the money I would have spent on music to one side, so that when the deluge of new music eventually comes, I can afford it.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

I don't buy lots in general these days, but I did get the [hugely disappointing] Maria McKee album from Juno last thing on Sunday night and it arrived Tuesday morning by Royal Mail. Always been v. impressed with Juno.

10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I'm still buying mainly pre-owned from Discogs. The LPs/CDs I've bought from sellers in the U.K. arrived very quick, no postal delays and fast shipping by the sellers. Ordered some from the EU and I suspect they will take longer than usual, which is no problem, bigger things going on theses days. I've had some stuff from Amazon and despite being given 4-5 weeks shipping some arrived within 3-4 days.

Regarding new releases, as most of you are aware most scheduled releases have been put back by as much as 6 months. However I doubt (hope I'm wrong) that box sets (big ticket items) such as the hoped for Let It Be S.E. will not see release until 2021.

Stay safe all of you.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The only effect for me is that apparently some overseas stuff won't be sent at the moment.
    It hasn't effected my purchases at all. I have pretty much a full schedule of stuff to listen to foe a year, so even if I purchased less, it wouldn't matter too muc.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

A timely thread- I've been buying from Second Spin over the years, and slowly their selection dwindled. Now they're having a going-out-of-business sale. :shake:

There's Oldies.com and Discogs for me, now.

13. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I expect my Deep Discount shipment later today. It just went out about three or four days ago, so no complaints on the turnaround time.

14. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I’ve been trying to get Cornershop’s new release, “England Is A Garden,” since the day it came out on March 6, and it’s been frustratingly difficult to find. My local stores didn’t have it in stock, and on-line sources are carrying it at collectible prices if they have it at all, which I’m reluctant to pay for a brand new release. I imagine I’ll buy it digitally, even though I’m a CD guy.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay. Against my better judgement, I thought I'd test your experience. So I just bought another CD on Amazon UK, which is promising it by the end of the month. Let's see how long it actually takes. :)

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  16. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I've only brought one album since the lockdown, I ordered Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans from Banquet Records, it did take a while to come (about 9 days) but that's fine,I appreciate it's not an vital item as this time.

17. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

A nice time to revisit things I haven't given a critical listen to yet, so haven't been buying anything new right now.

18. Omron

Omron Forum Resident Thread Starter

musicmagpie.co.uk are still shipping good used like new CDs Two for £3.00 and other deals.
    All orders free shipping in the UK.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Ordering from amazon, but not third party sellers.
    Amazon’s delivery has gotten longer but still within two to three weeks.
    When I order from third party it takes forever under normal conditions.
    I am fortunate that I am friend with the owner of an independent record store.
    Although the shop is closed, he goes in to look after things and will leave whatever I want in my doorstep.
    No personal contact whatsoever.

20. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I haven't bought much but I tend to look for who I can make sure I'll get it from. Picked up the new Pearl Jam from a local guy I found who runs a place out of his basement. Ordered a copy of Tom Petty's Wildflowers on CD to replace my copy that started skipping off Amazon. I have Prime, and it took a couple of extra days to get to me, but it showed up. I'm about to order a copy of the new Dream Syndicate LP, probably from Amazon or Bull Moose.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I' m waiting for my man at Lexington and Five and some people are asking me what I'm doing uptown...

Muggles, zphage and mrogers like this.
  22. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I have pretty much ceased buying any music or movies. Luckily, I have a pretty decent sized collection and have chosen this time to sort/resort/revisit it all. Fortunately, I met a friend at the beginning of March and he gave me a shopping bag full of thrift store scores, record show finds and CD-Rs. That should get me through this. I have found a certain peace at this time. We all say to ourselves "One day..." and I'm trying to use each one day of this to appreciate all that I have (my health and my family's, first and foremost). Hang tight, all!

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I've been placing lots of online vinyl orders to support my favourite independent retailers - Banquet Records in Kingston, Burning Shed, Resident Music in Brighton, from artists direct on Bandcamp, and even a decent sized order from HMV online yesterday. I've also ended up placing quite a few Discogs orders to fill some holes in the collection and hopefully help out some independent dealers or just people trying to make a few quid.

The main problem, as others have pointed out, is that very little is arriving. Of 7 separate orders which claim to have been dispatched from Banquet in the last week, I've only had 1 arrive. And the only other thing that's made it to me is one package from an artist on Bandcamp which somehow miraculously arrived the day after posting.

I now fear that my local sorting office has made a huge stockpile of all my records and is dancing on top of them, throwing darts at a picture of my face...

black sheriff and zphage like this.
  24. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Last CDs I received were The Weeknd's new album (which I had preordered) and the new Brian Eno album. But shipping has been slowed and non-essential items will take weeks to come, so I am not ordering anything new at the moment.

25. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

That’s exactly what I’m doing. :)

That being said, I did purchase a couple of Springsteen live shows.

(Thanks, btw, to the live Springsteen thread, I’m spending money I should be saving for toilet paper!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.