Where Are You Buying Your Records & CDs From

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Omron, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I order online from local record stores.

GlassPepper likes this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Where Are You Buying Your Records & CDs From During these times of lock down ?

Nowhere.

I'm not crazy. I'm only buying what's truly essential and I sanitize everything. Like others have already said, I already have a huge collection. While there are a lot of things
    I want to buy, I can wait until who knows when... Buying records is not the problem.

GlassPepper likes this.
  3. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Amazon... eBay... maybe the supermarket (rarely)

4. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Possibly not, but it could be the difference between your local record shops scraping through this or going under completely. YMMV

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, if your local shop offers buying online, that would be the place to do it.

alex1976delarge likes this.
  6. layman

layman Forum Resident

Most of the online stores are having Sales. I have bought 21 SACDs in the last week...and am itching to get more!

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

A reply to myself - yep.

It shipped tonight, delivery tomorrow. Go figure....

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Amazon, EBay and Discogs :cheers:

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I got a couple orders from Acoustic Sounds last week. I ordered something from Amazon yesterday. I'm sure I'll hit up Music Direct and Bull Moose at some point, the latter more likely if they have a sale. My local record store was also open on a limited basis until this time last week and I was still making regular visits.

All that said, I have used this time period like a lot of people, playing the vast stock of LPs, CDs and even cassettes I already have, some of which I haven't listened to in years.

10. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Directly from the label sites -- Intrada and La-La-Land Records. Neither of which have shipped to me yet. I'm a little concerned I've received no notice on backorder or delay or shipping.

La-La-Land has a sale they didn't advertise, at least to me. I bought 2 CDs and they knocked 15 bucks off the order.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My feeling as well. I'm buying sparingly but been eyeing Bandcamp, eBay and Discogs mainly.

Not to understate health concerns, as those are legitimate concerns. I've been taking precautions there as well - mailing packages are discarded and I set the album aside for a few days before handling. Just in case. And of course washing my hands after initial handling.

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

A few cheap second hand bits and pieces from Amazon marketplace sellers and Ebay. They seem to be getting through. No point in using Amazon themselves as they are swamped with trying to supply essentials. The last new product I ordered was from Proper who are still despatching and it arrived quickly but their range is limited to independent releases so no major label/mainstream stuff.

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I haven't bought anything in about 3-4 weeks. In very early March I took a trip to a local thrift that I go to about once a month and that was the last time I went to any store that wasn't a supermarket or pharmacy. I ordered a couple of CDs off discogs and one off eBay in the first half of March; I believe the last one was delivered on the 16th.

I haven't bought anything since, but that's mainly because there's not very much on my want list right now, and pretty much everything that is on it is either impossible to find or else something I'm not entirely sure I truly want.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy something online, though, if something I wanted popped up. If someone packs up a CD on a Monday and it arrives in my mailbox on a Thursday, all I have to do to be safe is remove it from the shipping envelope, toss the envelope, and wash my hands. As an added precaution with the CDs I received a few weeks ago, I dumped them out onto a soft surface rather than pulling them out of the shipping envelope, so I wouldn't touch the CD with the hand that had touched the shipping envelope, until after I'd tossed the envelope and then washed my hands. Alternatively, you can just do as has been noted above - leave the unopened package overnight and then open it. Any virus that might be inside the package on the jewel case isn't going to last more than 3 days max even in ideal lab conditions (per recently published study), and any virus on the shipping envelope isn't going to last more than 24hrs max even in ideal conditions (per the same study).

Cool hand luke likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just don't touch the speakers in the back, unless you Lysol them first...

15. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Ordered 4 used albums online from my local guy's brick and mortar. Picked them up today, he handed them out his front door. We had a nice little chat (with distance). He's right on Main St. of a good size city, and it was pretty much empty. Eerie...
    Also still ordering from Amazon, new sealed as well as third-party used. It does kinda creep me out opening up the envelope though.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And any shipment arriving within that window of risk in these times, is obviously not by normal courier, but by magic. Speaking of which, can you give me the name and number of your genie...?

17. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

Main page says, "30% OFF SPECIAL! Now's the time to save at La-La Land and get 30% OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! The discount will be applied to your order at checkout. (This special applies to in-stock items only and excludes the purchase of gift certificates). Offer is good through 4/30. Stay well, stay safe... and, in the meantime, listen to some great film music!"

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm not buying anything just now. I've got more than enough to keep me going for a few months.

Glenn coates and fenderesq like this.
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Our local zia do the same. Wanna keep them around. Great people. Selection. Price.

Daddy-O4 and Cool hand luke like this.
  20. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I didn't see that listed at all when I purchased. Well, I didn't expect anything --- It was a pleasant surprise.

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  21. moops

moops Senior Member

All online, usual suspects ....... Discogs, Burning Shed, Groovesland, CD Japan, Import CDs, a couple of metal sites, smaller labels ..... just taking longer. Amazon would normally be included but Amazon worldwide is still blocked to Australian buyers ...... except for Amazon US, and our own crappy Amazon.com.au

22. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

That was my intention/declaration as well; I mean who knows what the other side will look like; but I saw an offering on Discogs I couldn't say no to. I'm finding suspending music purchases more difficult then homebound isolation.

In addition to simply revisiting long ignored treasures... I'm revamping and newly prioritizing my shelves between primary and most physically accessible recordings. Second tier records are in another room. I'm loving listening and reevaluating; hearing many things in a wholly new way as I and Things Have Changed.

Joe Heimbuch likes this.
  23. fenderesq

More an Agree then a 'Like'... who knows what the other side will look like. I must admit I have succumb to a single very cheap purchase I couldn't pass on. As a fellow NYer; I've got to say I believe we locals which are in the vortex of the United States storm have a very different outlook and experience then not all, but most or at least many, to what's going on. As I said; it's a very real position to consider what's to come from our perspective. Frightening... not that we by any means have a monopoly on that vantage point. I'm quite sure that single purchase will be my one and only. I did request the seller disinfect the cd case as I don't have and can't find any disinfectant and was glad to have heard he was intending to do so without me requesting that of him.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  24. fenderesq

I broke my vow to suspend any new purchases until we're "on the other side" but saw 1 offering I was unable to pass on. I'm so weak! I asked the seller to disinfect the cd case as I don't have and can't find any disinfectant. I was glad of his reply that he had intended to do so and as a matter of course he'd been doing that for all his sales since our shared crisis began. I still intend to give it a 3 day hiatus. It'll be like a present under the tree 3 days before Christmas. Not exactly... but you see what I'm getting at.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I sanitized the mailer I got from Music Matters, then left it in the garage for 24 hours. Then I opened it, and Maiden Voyage has sat downstairs for a couple days, still unwrapped. Makes me feel better to take precautions, but from what I've read, inanimate objects are not the problem.

black sheriff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.