DCC Archive Where can I get a 5.1 SWITCH BOX ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rodney sherman, Oct 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to know where I can find a 5.1 channel switch to control the sound of 2 or 3 multi channel sources.i need one.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Rodney, I don't think one has been invented yet, which is why you don't have a response.
    Can anyone correct me? Is a switch box even possible for you DIY people?

:)

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

todays multi-channel receivers basically act as audio/video switchers. all the A/V connections go through the receiver so you can have dedicated inputs for various sources. check out mfgs pioneer elite and denon, among others, for models.

later, chris

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So if we don't have a multi channel receiver but prefer vintage equipment, we're SOL?

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

you mean tubes? hmmm, good question.

just curious, what equipment do you currently employ to achieve 5.1 surround sound?

later, chris

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The best way around this is to utilize a Home Theatre SS preamp (Rotel, Adcom, etc) that supports 5.1, DTS, RCA Coax and/or opical in/outs. You can take the outs and throw that into tube amps, as many as you please. 4 minimum. I've achieved very pleasing results. You don't buy a switchbox, but if you're receiver/preamp or whatever supports 5.1, DTS... you realise you can switch between DVD, SACD...DTS optical CD....

Now, for music, this is great. For Theatre, you need high power, unless you don't mind using high efficiancy speakers and experimenting. Rodney, try and not buy anything but CDs at work, there buddy. You won't find anything remotely high-end at the "blue man coup", and this is not a personal slam. Although if you just want to get with it cheap, you can get yourself a Sony "recent" home theatre receiver with opticals (or RCA coax's for 5.1 audio) and thow them to some high efficiancy JBL's or (yuck) some Yamahas. That will "work fine".

No, you're not going to "switch" anything really, unless you're using a HT preamp (to high powered amp or tubes) or a HT receiver that will take several inputs and...well... this should be familiar to you.
    (HT=Home Theatre)

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Chris, I am, sa :( dly SACD and 5.1 deficient. But Sckott has twin Dynaco ST70's with an appropriate preamp.

Guess I'll have to dedicate another room for 5.1 with all new (new to me, at least) equipment. I'll probably follow Sckott's lead somewhat (less the DIY enhancements) as I do like the Dynaco sound! :cool:

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks, Sckott.... yer quicker on the keyboard than I am! You must use at least two fingers to my one....... ;)

9. Sckott

As much as I really liked my Adcom pre, with the 1%metal film resistors and the extra honesty for tubes, I love my Rotel RTC-965 so much, I stroke it lovingly everytime I turn it on (like Mr. Bigglesworth on Austin Powers). I can take one of almost each input and plug opical AND RCA analogues in 'em, and switch between both at will. (Ex: Video 4 has my 5 CD changer as RCAs and the Sony CDP-351 optical goes in the same input as optical, I just need to use one or the other at will).

I'll say this though, it becomes a necessary "evil" to use tubes in high efficiancies, because if you're going to want DTS and SACD DVD-A with tubes, you're going to use the same damn inputs for your 5.1 of "Spy Who Shagged Me" DVD, which is nothing less than one of those DVDs that 'Give' you the modern theatre sound.

PROBLEM IS: Tubes were not made for HT. What one is really supposed to get is high-watt, big balled, gargantuan SS amps like high-watt Adcoms, Haflers, NAD that are THX certified. Those usually go for 200w per channel. Most woodland creatures will surely move miles away form your house, and the birdfeeders outside will become quite lonely soon after.

You CAN use 35-50wpc tube amps, but you end up running 4-5 of them at a time (the GOOD vintage ones) and your living room looks like an Orange Christmas all year round, with so many KT88's and EL-34's lit in the air.

Right now, I've switched to SS Hafler H-225 because the Patman scouted some Acoustat electrostatic speakers I picked up for zilch (58" X 28") and they require JUICE. I'll be auditioning them next week, but I hae them hooked up to the 2 Dynaco's, and it shows off the performance of speakers I have never known... Literally...because I can only give it "some" juice. Once I get the Hafler amp in there (175w/channel @ 4 Ohms) I can tell you, it's gonna blow my mind!

How big are they?
    http://people.ne.mediaone.net/seekr/fro1.jpg http://people.ne.mediaone.net/seekr/fro2.jpg

But believe it or not, they have settled in nicely.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhh, I see you have the amps doing double duty: Sonic Delights and Heating the Homestead!

I've my tube equip. in the basement listening room.... it'll be another cozy winter for me until someone opens the front door! But I'll keep the snow shovel handy for large, slow groups of people coming in.... ;)

11. Sckott

Yes, Gary. I've known people who have the need for having the best of both worlds, keep their worlds seperate. They have a dedicated listening room for Lps, CDs, The tube amps, preamp (w/DTS), efficient speakers.. warm sound. This is DADDY'S room and never should kids enter, less they get a few extra watts of yelling.

Then the wife and the kids go nutty on double amped home theatre in the den , using SS amps (or the full 5.1 Adcom amp) and pre. Junior has his Playstation 2 hooked up to the preamp in one input, there's the DVD player in another, LaserDisc, tape and Cd in others. There's 5.1 in there, and enough power to play Star Wars in THX and loosen the ground outside in the garden. Hmm! Foliage is early this year!

That way the whole damn family can be happy that way, and "daddy" doesn't have to sacrifice having to use tubes to listen to 5.1.. He can do this using SS amps in lthe living room, while entertaining the kids, and most BIG amps that are SS are safe around children, while tubes might singe a curious finger, even with the cage on, sometimes.

The tube is your friend. Feed the tube.

12. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an onkyo ts ds575x.It just needs another multi channel input and I'd be all smiles.

13. Sony is releasing an all-analog 5.1-channel preamp with 2 sets of inputs for both SACD multichannel and DVD-Audio, model number TA-P9000ES. List price is $700.00 and expected to hit store shelves in the next few weeks. An early production model has already been reviewed by Stereophile's Larry Greenhill in conjunction with their SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD changer. The changer got a Class A rating and the preamp got a "provisional" Class A rating in the new October issue. The TA-P9000ES also has individual channel front panel level controls, master volume control and a remote. :)

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: luke j chung ]

14. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Best bet would be the EMM Labs Switchman II. Check their web site at http://www.emmlabs.com/prod03.htm for a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.