Where Do I Start With the Beach Boys?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amyfan71, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

I have to disagree. Pet Sounds was put together well but the only songs that are great are the singles. After pet 20/20 is the only one i think is worth owning unless you can get them for $1

2. Sick Sick Phil

i forgot about Holland. 20/20 and Holland are the two best post Pet Sounds album.

Outside-Looking In likes this.
  3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Wrong again. Ever listened to Friends?

Aurora and starduster like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Umm, wrong :)

5. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I would start with the Endless Summer compilation. It's an absolutely killer overview of their early years. It starts and does not let up.

And then from there I would hit Pet Sounds. So you can really feel that majestic leap of beauty. If that one two punch doesn't hook you for life then I don't know what will.

Happy to see you interested in this group. Certainly one of the treasures of the 20th century IMO.

sjaca and lonelysea like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Wild Honey, dude!

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This .....or at least "Surfer Girl."

Honestly, this is the "American" Beatles/Stones

I'd say: "Meet The Beatles" (PPM) or "England's Newest Hitmakers" for them.

So, "Surfin' Safari" "USA," etc....or go to "Surfer Girl"

If "Surfer Girl" isn't grabbing ya - I don't know what to say?

The harmonies, sound, story....it's at the beginning.

This just isn't some good/great band. They're one of those handful of "greatest of all time" groups.

starduster and Joti Cover like this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Essentials:

Today!

Pet Sounds

SMiLE Sessions

Smiley Smile

Wild Honey

Friends

Sunflower

Compilations: Sounds of Summer

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yep, if there is one lp to start with, it would be Surfer Girl.

Clanceman likes this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

No doubt. I just can't see it any other way. At least there. Can't get away with starting an album later. Only logical answer. Glad you see it that way too.

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. Sick Sick Phil

yes Friends is meh

12. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

How about Sunflower or Surf's Up?

13. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

dude.......ya gotta start at the beginning....work your way up.....treasures await.....so the 1st one is the CD Surfin' Safari...2 fer...or the LP Surfin' Safari......but...you will need "luau" the b-side to "Surfin", so you shoud get "Lost and Found 1961-62", for the stuff you will need later....anyway..that's my opinion...go in order and travel where it took.........

Clanceman likes this.
  14. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

seriously.....don't listen to all the others who are telling you pet sounds and etc and etc......start at the beginning.....have the enjoyment of the experience.........most others on here will put their egos into your head and try to direct you......don't fall for it....use your instincts....start with the 1st single...then the 1st album.....then the next single...then the 2nd album.......research it...a GREAT book is Keith Badman's book.......then you can read about it...and listen to it...and etc etc etc...go on amazon and plug beach boys and keith badman..and there will be a book....anyway..sorry for so many words..but.....i think the funnest way is to go with time.....and experience it chronolically...so....surfin' single...including b-side....then 1st almbun..etc....

tages likes this.
  15. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

If you know a handful of hits already I would suggest the Friends album. That was what got me into the group for real. If you are a total beginner, the obvious choice would be either the Today or Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) album, then follow it up with Pet Sounds. Or a comp which captures the 1962-1965 years. Again - depends on which kind of listener you are - but personally, if I knew nothing about the Beach Boys and was told to throw myself into Pet Sounds just like that, I don't know how I'd react. It's a very evocative piece of work. You have to be ready for it or else it will pass you by entirely.

nojasa likes this.
  16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

pet sound is the worst one to start with.........don't be swayed by 30 year olds who have gesticulated to rolling stone and mojo......

17. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah..this.......1st single...plus b-side.....if you are not a vinyl guy or gurl..then "lost and found 1961 to 1962 "CD ..plus surfin safari 2 ferCD is your beginning course...

18. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

sorry..BS............don't do these 1st....the reel **** is the 60's and then into the 70's....but you need the 60's first...don't be afraid....and don't listen to the smile/pet sounds critical BS.......don't follow trends of critical/wanna-be 80/90/00's/10's who read about is somewhere......who think that pet sounds or smile was the utmost.....geezzz...there are 5 better albums than those at least.....

s

19. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

do not stream..do not stream...do not stream...do not stream...........buy the albums and singles......come on,..this **** is important, isn't it?...worst case..buy the CDs.........

20. He's joking but L.A. is actually a fine album.

21. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My first BB record (which I inherited) was Beach Boys Party. I liked the loose feel of it - obviously I was aware of the Beach Boys and it was nice to get an LP for free! I must have been around 9 or 10 (I started early, first record player at 6 years old!)

From there I bought Endless Summer - it was the single LP version on the budget MFP label and it cost me £1.99 - I wore it out. At the same time I picked up a book of the Beach Boys by John Tobler and it was a fascinating read.

From there, I picked up a compilation which covered the really early stuff in '61 - it was a Holland press on the 'surprise' label - a bit of a strange one - there was at least one track on there not even by the Beach Boys (the 'Surfin' Six'!) - after that I picked up second hand copies of the original Greatest Hits (the white cover) and then '20 Golden Greats' (UK only comp from 1978) - totally hooked by this point, and liking the later '60's tracks that I hadn't heard before.

The next step was a serious leap - I picked up a mono UK copy of Friends with no cover for 50p at a jumble sale - initially I didn't get it at all, it was so far removed from what I had already heard, but it slowly grew on me and I grew to really love the laid back feel - so after that came Holland (loved it), 20/20, Surf's Up, Wild Honey & Smiley Smile. The latter (Smiley Smile) was initially a disappointment as I had read all about what it could have been, I could tell it had been hastily put together when the original Smile project had fallen apart - anyway, again I did grow to like it more. After that I began picking up the earlier albums to complete my collection.

Pet Sounds funnily enough was one of the last albums I picked up - not deliberately, I just hadn't managed to find a copy - I had recently joined a audiophile LP mail order company, and I finally picked up the 1993 DCC LP of Pet Sounds, I figured it was worth shelling out the extra money for a really good version, and I wasn't disappointed.

After that came a Smile sessions bootleg LP and CD, The Good Vibrations box and the Pet Sounds Sessions box...

So my advice is start with a compilation, and then if that grabs you go for a few studio albums and see where they take you - enjoy your journey!

22. Youtube is a great place to find out what era of Beach Boys you want to start with.

The Beach Boys changed a lot over time. These are highlight albums of the various eras to me in chronological order:
    Surfer Girl
    Shut Down Volume 2
    Today!
    Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)
    SMiLE
    Smiley Smile
    Friends
    20/20
    Surf's Up
    Holland
    Love You
    L.A. (Light Album)
    Summer in Paradise :hide:

I may have listed too many highlights but I just couldn't stop.

The twofers are an excellent cheap way to get most of the albums along with some nice bonus tracks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  23. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I'd probably start with Surfer Girl, but my favorites are probably Today, Summer Days and Summer Nights, Wild Honey, and Friends. I like all the albums up through Friends, though, and Love You.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Myself I started with their "Endless Summer" Greatest Hits double LP.

Good luck finding this deal

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.