Where do you get off the bus with R.E.M.?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Horse, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i almost got off after Around The Sun but they came back to finish strong so...guess i never got off.
    the greatest American rock band of My lifetime, period.

DavidD likes this.
  2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Monster. Other than What's The Frequency Kenneth I just couldn't get into any of the other tracks.

3. Hi-Fi Pageant People

Hi-Fi Pageant People Forum Resident

Never.

I guess NAIHF is the last truly great album they did but the 5 records that followed all had at least a few individual tracks that reminded of their greatness.

Even when they split up for good they still continue really as the music lasts forever if you want it to.

I will personally always be thankful to them to my dying day.

4. HudsonDuster

HudsonDuster Forum Resident

"...Driver, where you takin' us ?..."

5. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Monster

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Automatic for the People

7. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I absolutely refuse to listen to anything after Collapse Into Now.

8. While I think the IRS years and the first three Warners albums are the bands best there is enough good stuff to be found throughout the remainder of their catalogue to warrant listening to the band right up to the end.

jas621 likes this.
  9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Forum Resident

Up was their last classic in my opinion, and probably one of their 3 best, but I never got off; one of a kind band, with a one of a kind singer. I’d stack their 25 best songs against anyone’s; including The Beatles.

jas621 likes this.
  10. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I got on with Green and started getting off with Out Of Time. The overdose MTV exposure was grating. Plus, I thought OOT was a half-assed album. I didn't get Automatic for a good while, and it was only from a cheapy bin used that I did get it. I despise Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts, but there's a lot of good otherwise on the album. But I think like most people, it was the trendy guitar heavy Monster that sealed it for me and I never looked back.

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Right to the end. Even have Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage

ARK likes this.
  12. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I’ll let you know when it happens!

ARK likes this.
  13. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Are you sure it's not a van? Parked down by a river?

drivingfrog and Billchi_11 like this.
  14. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

I stop at Monster but I got back on the bus briefly for Accelerate.

15. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Yes! Even though I'm an early REM fan more or less exclusively, I'd hold up the IRS years releases up against any other band's purple period including the big boys from the 60s... All time classics all of them.

Billchi_11 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  16. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

After Out of Time for me.

17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I jumped & rolled off the moving REM bus when Up (1998) was released.

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. Python

Python Forum Resident

Ah, so you don't like the three final new tracks on Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, eh?

drivingfrog likes this.
  19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I was a massive fan in the 90’s and saw them on the Up tour. Reveal was the last album I bought and I haven’t heard anything they did since. New Adventures In Hi-Fi was the last one I really loved.

I don’t play their albums often but I’ll probably go through them all in order soon as it’s been a while. Also the Road Movie DVD is one of my favourites.

Just noticed too that an Uncut Ultimate Music Guide is out now on the band

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I started to head for the door with Out of Time, but went back to my seat after Automatic. However, after Monster, I once again headed for the door, and with New Adventures, finally got off once and for all.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Monster is the last album of theirs I have. I like the album, but felt I had enough of their stuff.

22. Python

Python Forum Resident

Hell, I never got off, though it stopped being one of my favorite buses after Berry left. Except for Accelerate--masterpiece. But there were at least a few really good songs on each post-Berry album (though Around The Sun is definitely the weakest). Oddly, I've always thought Murmur and Automatic are not nearly as great as everyone else seems to think. My favorites are Fables, Pageant, Document, Out Of Time, Hi-Fi and Accelerate. But I love that people have so many different opinions on what they think are their best and worst albums - I think it really speaks to how much they evolved over time, and how diverse their songs and albums really were.

And as much as I respect their decision to hang it up they way they did, probably the best rock retirement in history, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be thrilled if they'd get back together for a final tour--maybe even Berry would do it, how great would that be?

Now, I really don't think they'll ever do it; but I never thought I'd see Van Halen with David Lee Roth or Black Sabbath with Ozzy, and the Black Crowes are supposedly getting together for a tour next year after all the bitter acrimony between the brothers during the past few years, so if I've learned anything in my decades as a rock fan, it's that as long as people are still alive, anything can happen.

23. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I got off the bus!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Same.

Wild Horse likes this.
  25. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Never.

Reveal was the last album I really liked.

I did not buy BBC sessions yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.