1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you have Joni Mitchell among the alltime greats?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 7, 2021.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I tell ya, as an artist myself, few out there fill me with the kind of awe I feel whenever I put on one of her youtubes in the middle of the day. I mean can it get much greater than this?

stratmel, blehman, LaBowe and 6 others like this.
  2. chrisblower

chrisblower Forum Resident

At the top of the page. Number one.

3. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

Not in my top-100, frankly.

Don’t despise Joni Mitchell, but little of hers has made a lasting impression on me thus far

Rooster_Ties, obcbobd, MGM and 13 others like this.
  4. zither

zither Forum Lodger

Right at the very top. Her run of albums from 1970 to 1976 speaks for itself..

Ladies Of The Canyon
    Blue
    For The Roses
    Court and Spark
    Hissing Of Summer Lawns
    Hejira

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like her first three albums but that's as far as I go. It all becomes too ethereal and jazzy for my tastes thereafter. As to her place in the pantheon, it's assured, I would imagine.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Filed under M.

MGM, PopularChuck, Colocally and 9 others like this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Forum Resident

Ladies through Don Juan's is a treasure trove. Top 10 artist for me.

Jarleboy, Smiler, PsychGuy and 3 others like this.
  8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

She's incredible as a painter, musician and songwriter. Her lyrics are equal parts introvert and extrovert. Never seen another artist able to evoke feelings based on what is happening internally to a main character in a song while they participate in their environment.

Zafu, LaBowe, Jarleboy and 6 others like this.
  9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

She is an acquired taste IMO, and I never quite acquired it. My wife, daughter and I listened to her classic album run while playing boggle and it was good for that. However, she has a vocal style akin to a tweeting bird, her lyrics are a bit too "poetic and meandering" for me to relate to and her guitar chords/sound/songwriting is limited by her "unique" tuning. I place her lower than Melanie, my go to female folker from the same era.

a customer, MGM, sthorntn and 6 others like this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Voice? Check.
    Lyrics? Check.
    Melody? Check.
    Instrumental skill? Check.
    Innovator? Check.
    Canadian? Check. ;)

What is not to like?

LaBowe, Nycademon, fab4ever and 12 others like this.
  11. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

WAY up there. If she just released Heijira, she'd be up there.

Dan

12. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

She's in the Top 100 for sure.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Better than any man in the game. Sorry Bob

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Joni fan. I like the early stuff and have the Reprise albums box set, but surely she's up there with just about anyone. She's a wonderful songwriter, singer and musician. She's got it all

Jarleboy and Next Year's Man like this.
  15. Sear

Sear Forum Resident

At the top.
    Her first 8 albums run is something incredible

drad dog, klockwerk, GregM and 8 others like this.
  16. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Among them. Among the all time greats. That's where I have her.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Hard to say. I grew up hearing my mum's Joni records, and my ex was a fan too. I'm not really a fan but I have a lot of respect for her music as she is clearly a unique artist.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Off the top of my head probably about #15 of people who compose and arrange popular songs. I'd rank her considerably lower as a singer or instrumentalist than as a composer and arranger, though nobody could sing her material like she can.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Maggie

Maggie funky but chic

She's very gifted as a singer and songwriter. Her reach exceeds her grasp, though. There was an interview where she complained about being compared to singer-songwriters like Dylan and Leonard Cohen, saying that it would be more reasonable to compare her to Stravinsky. That she would say so suggests she is unaware of her limitations, just like so many other pop stars of her generation. Many of her genre experiments have been dilettantish and embarrassing.

I think it is fairly reasonable to compare her with Leonard Cohen, myself, and I think her achievement does far outstrip Dylan's. As a post-WW2 pop figure she is somewhere near the top tier, not at the level of a Brian Wilson or a Burt Bacharach but certainly in the zone where John Lennon and Paul McCartney are. But her achievement in jazz (which seems to be where she really sees herself) is not significant. Even Van Morrison has more bona fides in that department.

20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favorite Canadian artists... up there with Neil, although not quite as high. She's much better than Leonard Cohen.

21. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Forum Resident

Joni James? Just below Chris Connor and Julie London.

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

In my top 10, but probably No 6

just behind Bing Crosby, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, The Stones & Fairport Convention

Jarleboy and qm1ceveb like this.
  23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't like her but she's undoubtedly prodigiously and unusually gifted and talented and, if you're more into that confessional singer songwriter thing than I am - which wouldn't be difficult - she's probably the most talented.

Alan2, Jarleboy, dalecooper and 4 others like this.
  24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I put her hi hi hi.

Top 20 for sure.

25. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Diverse opinions expressed here, from top to top 100, but she is a truly amazing artist.

She fuses and melts music, melody and emotions so powerfully. Court and Spark is the one for me. Floors ya.